It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

snowflake11 HB User
Yeast infection causing reflux?

Anyone here try Nystatin? I saw an ENT doc today and I told him that all this acid symptoms started after my GI doc put me on antibiotics last year to kill H-Pylori. At that time I got a horrid yeast infection from the massive dose of antibiotics, but I think maybe then it spread to other parts of my body because soon after that is when my throat started burning SO bad! He is having me try Nystatin (an anti-fungal) for 2 weeks. god, I hope its the answer. has anyone else tried this approach? I looked around the Net and found that Candida can be a definite cause of reflux. People say a low carb diet helps reflux - is that maybe because there is an overgrowth of Candida bacteria in the gut? then Nystatin will help kill it. any light on this?

Old 01-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
(female)

birden57 HB User
Re: Yeast infection causing reflux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake11 View Post
Anyone here try Nystatin? I saw an ENT doc today and I told him that all this acid symptoms started after my GI doc put me on antibiotics last year to kill H-Pylori. At that time I got a horrid yeast infection from the massive dose of antibiotics, but I think maybe then it spread to other parts of my body because soon after that is when my throat started burning SO bad! He is having me try Nystatin (an anti-fungal) for 2 weeks. god, I hope its the answer. has anyone else tried this approach? I looked around the Net and found that Candida can be a definite cause of reflux. People say a low carb diet helps reflux - is that maybe because there is an overgrowth of Candida bacteria in the gut? then Nystatin will help kill it. any light on this?
I have a lot of acid symptoms and the GI doc , had me take the endoscopy and it show that I had a small areas of whitish exudates suspicious for Candida esophagitis.
the biopsies that was done come back,and it said that it was benign squamous and glandular cells fungal hyphae associated with Candida, he gave me Diflucan 100mg to take one for ten days, I do not no why in the world I had that, I had not been on no kind of med at all but nexium for four or five year, but I think that the nexium is why I had it, so I just stop taking it , I had been on it for three years and it did not help me with nothing but the heartburn, now that I have stop it I can not tell if it help me or not, I feel the some,
birden

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

snowflake11 HB User
Re: Yeast infection causing reflux?

since the nexium supresses stomach acid, it makes the stomach more vulnerable to infection and bacteria growth. An acidic environment is a natural protectant against such things. if you have been on nexium for awhile it could very well be a cause of the candida. please let us know if the diflucan helps you. candida can cause reflux - so which came first? maybe you had the candida all along and it caused you to need the nexium in the first place? keep us posted - thanks!

Closed Thread