It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
My new theory on GERD & LPR

You can take this with a grain of salt but this is what I think is causing GERD and LPR (at least for me). First thing is what condition do we know is a guaranteed cause of GERD? Getting pregnant. Why? because the baby forms and pressure is put against the stomach, making the valve open and function incorrectly. A pregnant women is told to sleep on a slant etc. etc. same things we are told to prevent GERD. So our problem is caused by pressure on the stomach. I don't know about the rest of you but I wake up every morning with a ton of gas in my stomach. When I got GERD for the first time 15 years ago, I started out the same way but the gas in stomach problem went away in 6 months and so did the GERD. This time the gas is less then it was when I originally got GERD but it is still bad, especially in the morning. By the way I get GERD (LPR) almost 95% at night when sleeping (when I get all the gas). I figured the colon is expanding and causing pressure on the stomach when I sleep. Thats probably why I still get acid in my throat even though my bed in on a slant, pressure is causing my stomach to expel acid. I tried eating a perfect diet (all good foods, supposedly non-GERD foods) which helps but doesn't stop it. What if I ate only non-gasy foods and made sure I didn't swallow any air? Thats what I'm going to try next. If none of this works I'm going to have to go back to PPI's. I've run out of idea's. If it does work I'll have to figure out how to get my digestion system running like it use to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Re: My new theory on GERD & LPR

One other thing, I notice many people say their GERD gets better with a low carb diet. Wouldn't that make sense since complex carbs cause large amounts of gas, especially if your digestion system is off? Our GERD may be caused by our inability to digest carbohydrates. Instead of PPI's we may need to take enzymes and beeno. Just a thought.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I don't think pregnant women are told to sleep inclined.

I do, however, think there may be alot more to this than just pressure. Maybe nerve problems. Supposedly women have more problems than men, and women who are pregnant have it worse. But not only do they have more pressure, but they have more progesterone. Women have more than men, and prego's more than non-prego's.

They're looking into this as a possible cause of gastroparesis (even my doc has suggested maybe my BC pills are causing alot of this). GP is usually a nervous disorder - the nerves for the stomach don't work right.

Now I'm really starting to wonder if the nerves not working right are also causing the LES to open at inopportune times.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I just think all the stress (men and women) we go through, antibiotics etc. cause our digestion system to not work properly. This back up causes pressure on the stomach. Anyway it will be easy to figure out. I'm going to take 4 beeno's each time I eat and if anything contains lactose, I'll take a bunch of lactose pills. If the pains in my gut start to go away I'll know I'm probably on the right track.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Interesting article. [url]http://www.prohealthnetwork.com/library/showarticle.cfm/id/2706/T/Health/[/url]

Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

hi Neddy,

thanks so much for posting. I appreciate your efforts to get a handle on this mystery. I so agree with you that there IS a reason for reflux and that if docs could just understand it better, they could give us better solutions than PPI's. I simply cannot fathom that turning off stomach acid pumps can be anything good for our bodies. It seems so unintuative and wrong. Like you, I search the Net constantly looking for ideas and trying to come up with answers that make sense to my body. I like your theory about gas because I get alot of burps - when I drink water even! I haven't tried the beeno, but please let me know if it helps you. I am doing the enzymes and the probiotics and my ENT doc has just started me on a trial of Nystatin (anti-fungal medicine - he wants to see if maybe its a yeast thing causing reflux - hmm, now I'm thinking, maybe even causing gas build up?) Keep posting your ideas - all of us together here will figure out something! We know our bodies - the docs don't.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
(female)

thyme2b HB User

I really love the idea of looking for a cause, not just giving the meds. I've asked every doctor "What causes the LES to weaken, etc." They all just smile, shrug, and pull out the prescription pad. The only one who answered it was an alternative doc who believes that insufficient acid is the cause. Well, I did try something for that and got really horrible acid reflux from betaine HCL.

It seems to me if we could figure out what is causing this, then we could get at the cause some way.

What causes any sphincter not to work? (or specifically the LES?). Is it a lack of muscle tone as we age? Internal fat? Something to do with the nerves? When I have time, I'll try to find out more.

One theory that I'm currently exploring is the idea of gluten intolerance. Because I have severe osteoporosis, I'd read a study that the osteo might be associated with a mild gluten intolerance. So I had a test done, and lo and behold, I had it. No GI symptoms or anything that I was aware of. I've read a few individual reports that associate acid reflux and gluten intolerance.

One thing that happened after I went off the gluten is that my hemmoroids (sp?) just kind of disappeared. Weird. Something irritating the digestive tract, perhaps? So, I'm wondering if this might have anything to do with my longstanding GERD, too. Perhaps causing inflammation throughout my digestive tract. That certainly would make things not work right.

But with osteo, I hate being on PPI meds long term. So, I love theories that might help us better understand GERD.

Last edited by thyme2b; 01-24-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: to add another idea

Old 01-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

We need to understand that the doctors - and even researchers - are human, and have only so much knowledge.

They do NOT know everything, nor should they - again, they are human, not gods.

Not only are problems popping up like this that they don't yet understand, but on the other side of it, they don't know yet how to solve many problems.

I myself suspect this is mostly a nervous problem, although basically none of the standard GERD sites mentions this (nor do they mention any other cause - obviously, they don't really know). But 1 thing I'm finding out only recently - no thanks to my doc, or most doctors - is that there may be a link between feminine hormones and weakening LES. Couple this with some suspicions that gastroparesis may be largely linked to such hormones, and that GP is usually a nervous problem, and perhaps we have something.

But that's just my current wonderings. I have no data to back it up! And as of now, it looks like the medical community doesn't have solid data, either.

They simply don't know.

As for being afraid of using so many drugs....

....people use BC pills for years without incident - and that's for no real HEALTH issue!!! (granted, this may tie in to my GP problems, but mostly, people seem OK with BC pills) What could be worse than popping a pill for no genuine health reason?

...people use dilantin and phenobarbitol for decades without incident. My dad is an epileptic and has never had a problem in 50 years.

Better to avoid drugs? Sure. But to be scared stiff? No. Not all drugs are ruthless, and what will happen if you don't use them? And you better check those supplements for how much harm they can do you, too. Vitamin A is "good" for some stomach problems, but unfortunately, pure Vit A is also bad long term. It is better digested as watered-down beta-carotene. Just an example. Too much of anything can be bad.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hello Ol'Line Rebel, I don't know about feminine hormones causing it, I'm a man. I don't think I have any feminine hormones cruising around. Does anybody who gets the nighttime reflux wake up in the morning with alot of gas? especially in the lower abdomen area?

Old 01-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddyflanders View Post
Hello Ol'Line Rebel, I don't know about feminine hormones causing it, I'm a man. I don't think I have any feminine hormones cruising around. Does anybody who gets the nighttime reflux wake up in the morning with alot of gas? especially in the lower abdomen area?

LOL neddy, I don't think it's THE cause of problems, but can be 1 major 1, perhaps. Also, it may point to nervous-system problems being the real cause.

As for you being a man, rest assured, you DO have feminine hormones. Every human has all the hormones. Just different balances.

Closed Thread