It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
(female)

snowflake11 HB User
Re: Cured my reflux... After 12 months of trying everything.

but, i don't think a gluten free diet is the same as the SCD. he seems to be saying no starches are allowed at all on the SCD, right? - gluten free stuff is often made with potato or rice starches. on the scd i take it that we can't eat potatoes, or rice, or millet etc. yes? the SCD seems alot more restrictive. it'd be good to know that a gluten free diet works as well. it'd be alot easier to follow.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #17
(female)

charlotte02 HB User

Did anyone trying this diet have the throat clearing problems that go along with this disease? I am willing to try any diet that will help me with this problem. A lot of times I cannot even hardly speak because of the constant feeling that something is in my throat that I can't cough up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #18
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

October,

Did you have any type of reflux before you had Mono? Did you do any research and find out that this was the cause?

KLA

Old 01-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #19
(female)

october885 HB User

Okay,
A couple of things. There is a big difference between going gluten free and going on the SCD diet. Gluten free still allows you to eat grains such as rice, corn and starches such as potatos. I tried this diet for about 3 months and it didn't help me. Then I went on the SCD diet and within a week I was cured of my reflux.
No, I never had reflux (that I know of) before I got mono.
Some people get reflux relief by going on the gluten free diet. I have even heard of people curing their reflux by going on the Atkins diet (I never tried this diet because it seemed out of balance for me). But, for me, it was the SCD diet that was the cure.
The SCD diet is outlined in this thread. If you are really serious about curing your reflux as I was (doctor was prescribing surgery), then follow this diet and let me know how you do.
The premise of the diet is that grains and starches ferment in your gastrointestinal tract. They are very hard to digest. Once you eliminate these grains from your diet, your system starts working much better, foods are digested better and the reflux goes away. This makes alot of sense to me because when I was still eating grains and having reflux, I was having a real probably with fruit and I was actually getting fermentation gasses coming up my throat and burning my throat as well. Now, I can eat an apple and no problem.
Thanks.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #20
(female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjz View Post
I have had acid reflux (LPR) since Jan. 2006, which has been killing me. My daily life has been difficult with all those throat symptoms. I was on Perilosec OTC 2doses/day for ~4 month not much help, then was on chinese herbal medicine for another 4 months with some help, now I am on Zegerid 40mg/day & my throat still hurts. Can someone help me?
I like to know what is this gluten free food. My food has been rice, noodle, vegis, fish, chicken brest, some honey & peanut butter, pear, apple, bread. Which ones should I delete from my daily meals?
Hi wwjjz,
Eliminate your rice, noodle and bread from your diet and see how your feel.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #21
(female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake11 View Post
but, i don't think a gluten free diet is the same as the SCD. he seems to be saying no starches are allowed at all on the SCD, right? - gluten free stuff is often made with potato or rice starches. on the scd i take it that we can't eat potatoes, or rice, or millet etc. yes? the SCD seems alot more restrictive. it'd be good to know that a gluten free diet works as well. it'd be alot easier to follow.
Snowflake, you are correct. The difference between the gluten free diet and the SCD diet is that the gluten free diet lets you cheat and eat starches and some grains. As mentioned, I tried the gluten free diet and it didn't work for me. But, for some people it does.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 AM   #22
(female)

october885 HB User

Shgar,
Are you eating yogurt with sugar in it? The SCD diet requires that you make your own yogurt (of course without sugar). You can add in fruits for flavor or add in honey or saccharin. I was having problems with yogurt as well. I had eliminated from my diet when I was on the reflux diet too.
I just received my yogurt maker yesterday and I am making my first batch of yogurt and I can't wait.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 AM   #23
(female)

Shgar HB User

Yes, I was eating yogurt with sugar in it. I have stopped eating it now. I had chicken soup last night for dinner with just chicken and carrots and broth. It did not sit well and I had a bad night. even five hours after eating, I still had acid coming up in my throat. I woke up this morning (four hours sleep ) feeling a little better. I had two hard boiled eggs for breakfast and that went well. I am still hopefull. No new diet can work overnight. How long did it take for the acid in your throat to go away? Also can you have organic yogurt? Can you reccommend some things to eat that might be easiest on the acid production for a beginner.?

Thanks for your help,

Sue

Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 AM   #24
(female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shgar View Post
Yes, I was eating yogurt with sugar in it. I have stopped eating it now. I had chicken soup last night for dinner with just chicken and carrots and broth. It did not sit well and I had a bad night. even five hours after eating, I still had acid coming up in my throat. I woke up this morning (four hours sleep ) feeling a little better. I had two hard boiled eggs for breakfast and that went well. I am still hopefull. No new diet can work overnight. How long did it take for the acid in your throat to go away? Also can you have organic yogurt? Can you reccommend some things to eat that might be easiest on the acid production for a beginner.?

Thanks for your help,

Sue
Hi Sue,
What I did in the beginning, now keep in mind I am only on the diet about 10 days now, was I ate eggs for breakfast (I can only tolerate the whites, but you can eat the whole egg). Then I had chicken with a cooked vegie for lunch and fish and a vegie for dinner. Then, I worked my way up to eating almond flour banana cake, and apple sauce and apples a few days after being on the diet. I hope that helps. I know in the book it says to start out with a home made yogurt, meats, and cooked fruit and vegies. The key is to stay away from sugars, starches and grains. Did you make the soup yourself? Look very carefully at the label and see what is in it. Canned soups are prohibited from the SCD diet.
Also, it took about a week before I noticed that reflux was gone.

Last edited by october885; 01-30-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hi october, I was about to go back to the PPI's when I saw your post. I've been thinking along the same lines as you about complex carbohydrates. It may pay is to take Beano when we do slip and eat something we shouldn't, since Beano does help you break down complex carbohydrates. I may give this diet a try before going back on PPI's.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #26
(male)

Ogreballerina HB User

I guess I should clarify..

I am on a gluten free diet.
But I also do not eat sugar, starches ( no potatoes), no milk( Vanilla soy only), no caffiene, no soda. ( for a bubbly drink I add juice to seltzer water)
I do not drink citric acid juices. Apple and cherry seem fine
No candy, chocolate etc
The only meats I eat are fish and chicken/eggs( I do not fry..I only bake or broil/boil)( I may eat a steak once in awhile....love my steak and eggs)
The only grains I eat are corn and rice..( Everything you can think of made with wheat or other grains has a gluten free alternative)
Nothing spicy...no tomatoes, black pepper etc
I also do not use sugar substitues!! They are very bad for you!( They've been linked to brain cancer and blindness)
I only use honey and honey sugar ( a sugar made from dried and granulated honey)
I juice alot...especially celery, carrots, apple and beet
I eat all kinds of veggies...raw and frozen. Also nuts( in moderation of course as some veggies produce gas by themselves...like beans, broccoli etc)
No cheese or other milk products...but this is due to lactose intolerance( however yogurt and butter don't seem to bother me...maybe becaues I rarely use them))
I do not eat out...ever!
I still drink plenty of water...but this natural.

Some people are sensitive to gluten and don't even realize it...

Everyones diet is going to be a little different..

I know mine sounds limited...but these are the symptoms I no longer have..

Pain in the jaw/neck and headaches
Stuffiness and ringing in the ear ( iI can actually hear again!)
Lump or golfball in throat
Rib cage pain
Pain in the arms and back..
Sore /burning throat
Excess saliva and swallowing..
No more shortness of breath...
and no more reflux...( I can actually lay down again!!!)

My diet may sound bland and boring, but since I don't really care about food or eating anymore it works fine for me.
I also stay regular ( which is more important than you may think)

Having a gluten free diet is a good place to start...just tweak it from there.
You can not put a price on health!

I wish I had found this years ago...!! I'm in my forties...yet I can't remember feeling this good...I feel energetic...ALIVE!!!
It may take awhile to work as your body needs to detoxify from years of abuse....I just know everyday seems a little better.

Last edited by Ogreballerina; 01-30-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #27
(female)

october885 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogreballerina View Post
I guess I should clarify..

I am on a gluten free diet.
But I also do not eat sugar, starches ( no potatoes), no milk( Vanilla soy only), no caffiene, no soda. ( for a bubbly drink I add juice to seltzer water)
I do not drink citric acid juices. Apple and cherry seem fine
No candy, chocolate etc
The only meats I eat are fish and chicken/eggs( I do not fry..I only bake or broil/boil)
The only grains I eat are corn and rice..( Everything you can think of made with wheat or other grains has a gluten free alternative)
Nothing spicy...no tomatoes, black pepper etc
I also do not use sugar substitues!! They are very bad for you!( They've been linked to brain cancer and blindness)
I only use honey and honey sugar ( a sugar made from dried and granulated honey)
I juice alot...especially celery, carrots, apple and beet
I eat all kinds of veggies...raw and frozen. Also nuts( in moderation of course as some veggies produce gas by themselves...like beans, broccoli etc)
No cheese or other milk products...but this is due to lactose intolerance( however yogurt and butter don't seem to bother me...maybe becaues I rarely use them))
I do not eat out...ever!
I still drink plenty of water...but this natural.

Some people are sensitive to gluten and don't even realize it...

Everyones diet is going to be a little different..

I know mine sounds limited...but these are the symptoms I no longer have..

Pain in the jaw/neck and headaches
Stuffiness and ringing in the ear ( iI can actually hear again!)
Lump or golfball in throat
Rib cage pain
Pain in the arms and back..
Sore /burning throat
Excess saliva and swallowing..
No more shortness of breath...
and no more reflux...( I can actually lay down again!!!)

My diet may sound bland and boring, but since I don't really care about food or eating anymore it works fine for me.
I also stay regular ( which is more important than you may think)

Having a gluten free diet is a good place to start...just tweak it from there.
You can not put a price on health!

I wish I had found this years ago...!! I'm in my forties...yet I can't remember feeling this good...I feel energetic...ALIVE!!!
Ogreballerina,
That's fantastic! You were able to rid yourself of reflux on the gluten free diet minus sugar. Very good. I was not able to do the same until I got rid of the rice and potatos too. Keep up the good work!

Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #28
(female)

october885 HB User

One thing I forgot to mention,
I also take digestive enzimes. GNC has a good one that is wheat, soy, gluten, egg, dairy sugar free and has acidopholis in it. I take 2 before my meals.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #29
(male)

Ogreballerina HB User

Your not kidding...

I was thinking of eating a bullet not too long ago..

I was so scared and depressed... it was so bad. I would go to sleep wondering if I would wake up..or if I really wanted to, because I knew it would be another agony filled day.

I already suffer from severe chronic pain...crushed sciatic nerve ( accident 12 years ago)

So to have GERD/LPS on top of screaming leg pain. back pain..numbeness and tingling in the legs,leg spasms... bowel and bladder control problems...falling down because my legs don't work all of a sudden etc

It was almost too much...

Another month or 2...who knows..???

I used to make fun of healthnuts...
It was the guy at the local health store ( I went there looking for any kind of relief!!) who after talking to me told me about gluten free diet..

That man and this board saved my life...literally!

Your post will open the eyes to many that they don't have to have to take drugs,,,that through diet they can change thier lives...and thier outlook on life.

My back and leg pain is still there...it will always be there ( surgery is no longer an option...I've had 5..the last was a fusion of lower back...the bottom quarter of my spine is one solid bone now...with a bunch of steel rods and bolts thrown in)

But I can live with it....and if anything with my new diet it seems a little more tolerable...I'm actually taking less pain meds now.

Mother nature made a cure for everything...and you've shown them the way to it.

Your a good soul for sharing...

Diet can cure reflux! It has for me...

Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #30
(male)

scott1360 HB User

Any tips for someone who finds it extremely hard to stay on this sort of diet because of my lifestyle. Im a 23 year old male who doesnt really cook, live far from the grocery store (dont have a car) and work long hours. It just seems impractical for me to stick to one of these diets without having someone prepare all my meals.

Last edited by scott1360; 01-30-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Closed Thread