It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Cause of GERD

I've had GERD (lpr) for about 7 months. I've tried every approach, I've read every post. From all of this I've reached some conclusions on the cause of GERD(not occasional heartburn but GERD). In my opinion those of us with GERD have lost the ability to digest food correctly. I've often wondered if I didn't eat for 8 hours before sleeping then why am I waking up at 4Am with a ton of acid coming up? Why? because the cause is not my stomach (indirectly it is but it is not the cause). My food (depending on what I've eaten) is going into my large intestine and not being absorbed correctly. This causes gas in the intestines which enlarges and presses up against your stomach (much like a pregnancy causing heartburn due to pressure from fetus). Over time this weakens the valve to the stomach due to the almost constant pressure. In my opinion, this imbalance in the large intestine is due to stress, antibiotics, swallowing food instead of chewing. It can be one, two or all three of these causing the imbalance.
Now the question remains, what can be done about it. Like most of you I chew enzymes, I take probiotics but still have GERD. Also I have reduced my stress levels down to almost zero. My daytime GERD is now 99% gone but I suffer every night from acid reflux hitting my throat. In an earlier post, October mentioned Gluten and complex carbohydrates being eliminated and getting rid of her GERD. I think she is on to something, the only problem is how hard is to not eat either of these? I know for me it's almost impossible. Hopefully my cause is from one or the other, I could eliminate one but not the other. Both gluten and complex carbohydrates can cause digestion problems because they are both so hard to digest. Anyway, my stomach has improved to where it rarely hurts and my constipation has left me. I tried yesterday eating bread and potato's at lunch. About 4 hours later my stomach was in pain and I had a big lump in my throat. Question is was it the bread or was in the complex carbohydrate? Further testing will need to be done to decide if it's one or the other or both but I think we are on to something. Sorry about the long post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
(female)

needaremedy HB User
Re: Cause of GERD

When they diagnosed you, did they do a test of the LES and acid levels? Or did you describe symptoms and they prescribe medicine without testing?
~just curious.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I had a tube stuck down my throat and I also had an upper GI and barium swallow. But when I had it 15 years ago I went through every test known to man. Everything I have today is almost exactly the way it was then.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

needaremedy HB User

Hmmm...ya know, neddy, it's so hard to say what's going to affect us with diet. I know I eat some "off limits" foods and I'm fine, while stuff that "shouldn't" bother me gives me trouble.
I did a little test on myself with the apple cider vinegar to see if it helped (it did) so now I'm going to see my GI doc for one more follow-up but then I'm off to another doctor who will work with me on getting to the cause of the problem rather than taking a med to mask a symptom.

I know we all do a LOT of research on here. I've learned more than I EVER wanted to know about my gut...
The more I learn, the more irritated I become with how things have been handled for me. (Just venting here...)

Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Try eating some bread and potato's. Tell me how you feel after 3 or 4 hours. Also I'm not talking about over eating, just eat a regular amount, you'll feel worse I guarantee it. I don't get daytime reflux, but I do when I eat that. Let's face it, our digestion system is on the fritz. I seriously doubt were producing to much acid all of a sudden. If I was a betting man I would say food (especially certain types) are not being digested correctly in small intestine and being moved into large intestine where it causes problems. Problem foods can stay in your intestines for long periods of time (like 34 hours) giving you trouble.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
(female)

needaremedy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddyflanders View Post
Try eating some bread and potato's. Tell me how you feel after 3 or 4 hours. Also I'm not talking about over eating, just eat a regular amount, you'll feel worse I guarantee it. I don't get daytime reflux, but I do when I eat that. Let's face it, our digestion system is on the fritz. I seriously doubt were producing to much acid all of a sudden. If I was a betting man I would say food (especially certain types) are not being digested correctly in small intestine and being moved into large intestine where it causes problems. Problem foods can stay in your intestines for long periods of time (like 34 hours) giving you trouble.

I agree.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

We may need to try a non gluten, non complex carb to get rid of this. Which means eating almost nothing. Not sure what would be worse.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:17 AM   #8
(female)

Casey2 HB User

I've tried the low carb diet-even bought a book on it about the theory of too many carbs causing reflux. I was a lot better but I couldn't stay on it because I didn't have the willpower to stay away from the carbs. With my regular diet I still have nighttime reflux even if I stop eating at 3 pm. I think I will try it again and look into the non gluten one also.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hello Casey2, I was on the non-carb, non gluten diet for 2 days before I realized I wasn't eating anything. I have no idea what to eat. Everything is on bread these days. I honestly don't know what to do at this point.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
(female)

Casey2 HB User

Hi Neddy,
I've been reading about the gluten-free diet on the internet after reading all the posts on October's thread. We have a Whole Foods store in the area and they sell a lot of things including bread and cookies. I hope they taste good because I would really miss bread the most. I want to try it after reading about all the success stories. I've tried a lot of other things without much improvement but maybe this will be the one that works.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #11
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

yeah, gluten free could be almost manageable, but theory says we have to avoid starches too! that means almost all commercial gluten free products are out as they are typically made from potato or rice starches. i can't see eating so limited - i just don't see how people survive that way for very long. and since they use nut flower for all the recipes, i suspect a nut allergy is not far behind. then what???? i'll keep taking the enzymes to try and fix any digestion issues with starches.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Yeah me to, though I am trying to cut down on Complex Carbohydrates (non bread ones). I notice that potato's really have a bad effect on me. Also I was tested for Sprue(gluten) allergy and it came back negative.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 AM   #13
(female)

tlily HB User

I have suffered for years with this acid. A year ago I went on the south beach diet which elimenated much carbs. I felt really good and lost 30 pounds. Then I got reflux so bad I could barely function for 8 months. I forced myself to eat some carbs thinking it may absorb acid in the stomach. I also suffer suffered from LPR. Little by little the symptoms have gotten better and little by little I ate more carbs like patotos, bread and am feeling much better now. Now I can't understand that this. Most people say that carbs make it feel worse but me I am the opposite. If I don't have much in my stomach it really is horribleand if I have carbs in my stomach I feel better. I am not all better but much than before. The down side is that I am gaining weight again which makes the reflux worse. Go figure. Everyone is different. I just can't win.

TLily

Old 02-06-2007, 05:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi neddy, I suffered from reflux and stomach pain too (and the outer end of my GI tract was always red and inflamed with hemorroids). I found out that I had contact food allergies! I didn't get the systemic reactions like others (hives, etc.). My skin is very allergic. I was allergic to all toiletries and any plants that touched my skin when I was gardening would cause a rash. I received food allergy shots (Low Dose Allergen therapy) and the stomach pain and reflux are gone. My worse foods were plants (vegies, fruits, garlic, tofu).

Old 02-06-2007, 06:09 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I should probably get tested for food allergies also. What I hate is that I feel much better now and I don't know why. Next week I'll probably feel rotten again and I won't know what I did to feel better. It's crazy.

Closed Thread