It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Tried ACV.....

I tried apple cider vinager yesterday, 1 tablespoon and a drop of baking soda. It actually burned my throat a bit...woke up with burning stomach.
I was so hoping it was going to work since it works for so many people
Oh well! Back to the drawing board. My breathing has been so bad and have been with a constant lump in the throat. So fed up with it!

Old 02-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
(female)

needaremedy HB User
Re: Tried ACV.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex12 View Post
I tried apple cider vinager yesterday, 1 tablespoon and a drop of baking soda. It actually burned my throat a bit...woke up with burning stomach.
I was so hoping it was going to work since it works for so many people
Oh well! Back to the drawing board. My breathing has been so bad and have been with a constant lump in the throat. So fed up with it!

I know ACV doesn't work for everybody...
I was wondering, though, why you started with 1 Tbsp. That seems like a lot to start with. I still use it and only use about 1 teaspoon, maybe 2, at a time in a 2-3 ounces of water. Also, baking soda is supposed to neutralize the acid in vinegar. It may not totally neutralize the amount you took, but I imagine it would have neutralized a significant amount of it...in which case, it seems like a waste to take the ACV.
I don't want to sound as though I'm picking on you. I'm just wondering these things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I read on this site all about apple cidar vinegar and they said the best formulation was actually 2 Tbl ACV with 1/4 tsp BS in 6 oz water. I figured I would start with 1 TBL. Maybe I should have started with less, but now i am afraid to do it again.
I just want an alternative to the PPI's, which are not working for me anyway.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
(female)

needaremedy HB User

Ah! Gotcha.
I saw a naturopathic doc and asked how I should go about a trial of ACV. He recommended NOT doing it right away...he recommended weaning off the PPI (since I planned to go cold turkey), taking DGL 800mg a minimum 4x per day for at least a week, then trying 1 tsp. in a couple ounces of water with a meal. I followed that but during the week leading up to the ACV, I didn't feel all that great...I was scared of the ACV. To my surprise, I felt great afterwards.

Also, some people might say DGL doesn't work...some people say it helps, but more slowly than they'd like, etc. I'm among the latter. It helps me. Just my opinion: it may not feel like much, but maybe it (the DGL) is doing more than we can see to help heal. I'm hoping that's the case and still using it.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I do take DGL as well.
Do you suffer from LPR? My worse symptom is that of air hunger and tight throat. The ENT wants me on 2 ppi's a day but I only take one. From what I read most people don't even see improvement on 2 PPI's , so why bother witht he extra side effects.
I also suck on slippery elm all day long.
This has been constant for 5 months, not one day of relief from this.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
(female)

needaremedy HB User

I would say I did suffer from LPR...
I hadn't heard of it until I went to the ENT in November because my throat was hurting. (Part of the trouble was my golf ball-sized tonsils that I had removed.)
He looked at my throat with that through-the-nose camera and said it was LPR.
He changed me from Prilosec OTC to Protonix in the AM and Zantac 75 before bed.
Before long, I was needing Zantac 4x per day.
When I followed up with the ENT after my tonsillectomy, I said I thought the PPI plus Zantac wasn't helping and that I wanted off of it because I was sure it couldn't be good for me.
The ENT actually agreed that it wasn't good for me and said to quit taking it.

Shortly after that was when I saw the ND to find a natural route for healing...

I did the things he recommended but didn't feel better until I started the ACV. I can't explain it... I just know it works for me.

As for the LPR, I don't have the mucus anymore or the burning mouth/tongue. I never had true "heartburn"...so...like I said, I don't know...can't explain it.

Last edited by needaremedy; 02-14-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Closed Thread