It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
(male)

cmcasas HB User
Can colds lead to Acid Reflux?

I had a pretty bad cold around christmas time and it eventually led to some flu like symptoms (fever, aches). Immediately after the cold subsided, I acquired a cough that seem to be due to post nasal drip into my lungs (according to my doc). Doc gave me two different anti-biotics which neither helped my cold or cough... the cough has subsided a bit but I'm into late February with the same symptoms...

...tickle in my throat (like a lump)
...coughing worse when I lay down and after I eat.

I'm on my 11th day of prilosec otc and I'm not sure if that is helping. I'm seeing the doc again tomorrow. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
(female)

Sara459 HB User
Re: Can colds lead to Acid Reflux?

I believe colds can lead to acid reflux. My problems started 2 years ago after a really bad cold/flu. The cough lingered on with a tickle and sore throat, PND. Doctor put me on multiple rounds of antibotics and things never improved. I went through all sorts of misery and mis-diagnosis. Eventually 9 - 10 months later ENT told me I had LPR. When I found this board it was like an ah-ha moment. Everyone's symptoms were exactly like mine... the throat clearing, mucous, cough, etc.

Many people here have stated their problems started after a cold and/or a round of antibotics. Maybe some sort of virus triggers it.

Sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Antibiotics could well be the culprit. It's pretty common. Why not try a bottle of probiotics or acidophilis? Maybe eat some yogurt for a while, too, to replace the good bacteria in your system (and stomach). Can't hurt.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
(male)

cmcasas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis498 View Post
Antibiotics could well be the culprit. It's pretty common. Why not try a bottle of probiotics or acidophilis? Maybe eat some yogurt for a while, too, to replace the good bacteria in your system (and stomach). Can't hurt.
I will try it. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
(male)

TLB50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara459 View Post
I believe colds can lead to acid reflux. My problems started 2 years ago after a really bad cold/flu. The cough lingered on with a tickle and sore throat, PND. Doctor put me on multiple rounds of antibotics and things never improved. I went through all sorts of misery and mis-diagnosis. Eventually 9 - 10 months later ENT told me I had LPR. When I found this board it was like an ah-ha moment. Everyone's symptoms were exactly like mine... the throat clearing, mucous, cough, etc.

Many people here have stated their problems started after a cold and/or a round of antibotics. Maybe some sort of virus triggers it.

Sara

My original digestive problems started 2 years ago after a very bad cold and a round of Levaquin. The Levaquin was really nasty and threw my system into chaos that I am still trying to work through.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
(male)

cmcasas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB50 View Post
My original digestive problems started 2 years ago after a very bad cold and a round of Levaquin. The Levaquin was really nasty and threw my system into chaos that I am still trying to work through.
My cough started due to post-nasal drip into my lungs and levaquin was given to me. After that didn't work, Doc put me on biaxin (another antibiotic). This was back in early January. I'm still coughing with that feeling of a lump in my throat. Tomorrow is my last day of priloslec otc which didn't make a difference either. Pure frustration at this point.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
(female)

Muguiying HB User

Hi. I was recently diagnosed with GERD/LPR. I got it from antibiotics. In December my doctor was treating me for a gnarley case of bronchitis with Doxycycline (which did not cure the bronchitis). She chose this drug because she hoped it would help with an unrelated condition I've had for some time. Anyway, by week two I was having heartburn every day and I am not normally prone to heartburn. She told me to take baker's yeast with the antibiotics in order to protect my stomach lining. By week three I had to be rushed to the ER with what I thought was a heart attack. I woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat with intense chest pain and pressure in my throat that felt like someone had shoved a softball down it. The ER doc checked my heart and said it looked great, and diagnosed me with GERD/LPR. I told him about the Doxyxycline and he said "That would do it. This medication has a direct link to GERD." Since then, I have tried aciphex, protonix, and prevacid. Aciphex works the best for me, but nothing makes that horrible burnt taste and smell go away or the feeling of food being lodged in my throat.

Closed Thread