HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   laxatives and supplements (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/477231-laxatives-supplements.html)

kmlong 03-03-2007 06:02 PM

laxatives and supplements

as everyone else, i am extremely constipated from all this prevacid! I've tried all kinds of laxatives but only one seems to really work. Super colon cleanse does the trick. Anything with the psyllium husk in it works great but it seems i have to rely on this at least 1-2 times a week. And it says you can use it for regularity but is that safe to rely on something all the time for a bowel movement. i've been eating activia yogurt but seems i don't do well with the milk so i bought a probiotic in capsule form that has a blend of all bacteria.

What does taking lemon juice at meal time do? wouldn't that give you heartburn even if you're on a PPI? as soon as citric acid even hits my esophagus its PAIN!!

snowflake11 03-03-2007 07:07 PM

Re: laxatives and supplements

hi km, i don't know about the constipation except to eat more fiber - like fiber one cereal - or cut back on the prevacid -but i wanted to tell you that i have the same problem with my esophagus burning as soon as acid hits it - like i can't eat olive oil because it burns me on the way down. my bravo showed i don't have reflux so its not coming back up that's the problem - it's on the way down that it hurts. i have esophageal spasms and poor clearance so that could be why - it's clinging in there - plus i suspect some kind of neuropathy - abnormal nerve sensitivity. i am going to see a neurologist this week to see what she says. but i hear ya - it's very hard to eat when stuff burns when you swallow it.

one more thing - maybe you could try stopping the prevacid - it could be causing the pain. i was on iv protonix and in severe pain the whole time. when i stopped taking it, the pain went away. but its back now.....sigh. i do think acid meds can increase pain.

kmlong 03-03-2007 07:42 PM

hi snowflake, well i would love to stop the prevacid and actually tried that about a week ago. i was off for 2 days and had to start back on again because the heartburn just came back. Didn't notice any improvement with pain while i was off it. I'm not sure just how long one would have to be off of this stuff, it is a delayed release capsule. I would think 48-72hrs would be enough time to clear out but maybe not. And now my ENT increased the doseage to 2x a day because of LPR. thing is, i don't even have an idea yet what my heartburn is from or what it looks like in there. My first endoscopy isn't till the end of March and i'm going to go insane with anxiety!!! It really hurt in there and just can't pinpoint where i just know it somewhere between my throat and stomach! I'm almost wondering if it isn't something respiratory despite being able to breathe ok. It's a real heavy feeling, kinda like you were outside in 20 degree weather running real hard and breathing through your mouth and that burny sensation you get in the throat and chest. I don't enjoy life anymore cause all i do is worry about this stupid condition 24/7.

I did try increasing my fiber intake for about a whole week straight. Whole grains, high fiber cereal, veggies. Was even taking a chewable fiber tablet and didn't notice anykind of improvement on bowels. Plus, i got really bloated from all the fiber from taking it in too fast.

taape 03-03-2007 10:36 PM

When you eat alot of fiber and whole grains you need to drink a ton of water to make it work. I put bran flakes in drinks and in yogurt and that works pretty well. I don't understand the lemon juice thing either. Since I've been taking Protonix and the ulcer has healed I can use some lemon juice once in a while for salad dressing or drink some lemonade without pain.

kmlong 03-03-2007 10:53 PM

one thing i've found that i'm really starting to like is when i'm hungry and want a snack, the bite size frosted mini wheats are really great and they are good fiber too. of course the sugar isn't good but i'm starving by the time i get home from second shift and can't eat a big meal. Next time i go to the store i'm going to get some prune juice and try it. I just hope it does ok with my reflux.

scott1360 03-05-2007 03:09 PM

Hey Snowflake. Dont mean to hijack a thread but when do you have your neurologist appt? Im very interested to hear what he has to say.

snowflake11 03-05-2007 04:51 PM

no prob - i have it this week and i will post what she says in a new thread. i hope for all of us that she has some good answers.