It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Symptoms in my 4 year old

Are these symptoms of GERD? My 4 year old (almost 5) says her chest and throat hurt (particulary while/after eating). Lately she says she can't breathe, and it hurts when she breathes in. She has no respiratory problems and she has no problem running around while playing. She does not like to eat and I have to keep on top of her at every meal to get her to eat. She is 33.5 lbs. and cannot afford not to eat.

Another question I have is, does an endoscopy tell for sure whether or not a person has reflux? She had one in November which was normal. She had it because she was not eating, having trouble swallowing and very very constipated. The doctor said the not eating was not due to her constipation (I think it was a very big part of it) and that's why he did the endoscopy.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
(male)

Ogreballerina HB User
Re: Symptoms in my 4 year old

Yes, they sound like GERD/LPS symptoms.

It could be a gluten allergy...

The shortness of breath is caused by swelling of the esophogus.
A OTC anti-histamine can help relieve the swelling ( use a really small, short term dosage...like a 4 hour dose..and of course an anti-histamine for children)

The throat pain can be caused by this also, and of course the acid reflux.

The acid will creep up the throat while she is sleeping ( laying down) and irritate the lining of her throat...and so when she eats ( especially with chips, cereal...anything with sharp edges) irritates it more.

Does she have any pain? Such as a sharp pain below the ribs...chest pain..pain in the jaws? Also unexplained pain on her back or arms?

Sometimes an endoscope wil not show anything wrong...but there still maybe something wrong.

Constipation can really aggravate this problem...especially in one so young.
Get her regular through fiber supplements and make sure she drinks plenty of water.
The longer the offending food is in her body...the worse it gets.
Bean-O can help with gas.
If she eats something that aggravates her GERD/LPS and she is constipated...it will continue to produce gas until it is expelled from the body.

Read Octobers post " How I cured my GERD ..."

It could also be a stomach infection which can be treated with anti-biotics.

So ask her and get a detailed list of all her symptoms..all of them.
And report back...

I was able to cure my GERD/LPS after years of suffering by diet change.

One so young should not have to suffer so...

And yes even at that age one can get acid reflux.

We will be here for you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Thank you for the info. She does have chest pain and throat pain. Would antacids help with the swelling of the esophogus? The gastro was going to prescribe an antacid but never did. I'm going to call today and see if we can try it to see if it will help. She was checked for celiac disease and it was negative. She does have a huge constipation problem. She has Miralax in her water every day. I will look at that thread you mentioned. I'm not sure if I can change her diet much because she is such a picky eater.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
(male)

Ogreballerina HB User

Yes ..a prescription PPI would help with her indigestion. Except she would have to take them forever.
OTC ant-acids might help in the short term...I doubt they would have any effect on the swelling as it occurs during and after eating.

Alot of people in this forum have that complaint...an asmtha type feeling.

The only solutions are expensive prescription PPI ( or the OTC Prilosec...which is also expensive...up to 80 dollars a month!)

Or a diet change...

Short term anti-histamines can help with the swelling...

There is still alot she could eat...the idea is to eat foods that are easily digestable.
But I realize how finicky children are ( I have 2 boys)
And at her age she may not realize that it is for her benefit that you are doing this..

With GERD/LPS the options are few... PPIs for life or a diet change.

You must do something soon as it will only continue to get worse...

Old 03-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

The nurse from the GI office prescribed Prevacid tablets 15 mg. She took her second dose tonight before dinner. She said she is still having trouble breathing but she has not complained of chest or throat pain. I have not seen her gasping for air as much today. Could it start working that quickly? The nurse did not think the breathing difficulty was a reflux symptom and questioned me about anxiety. She may have a little anxiety but I don't see it causing a breathing problem. And the anxiety she does have has to do with these problems she is having. Will try the med for now and hopefully she will gradually allow a diet change.

Wouldn't they have found swelling when they did the endoscopy? The doctor said everything looked good and did not find anything abnormal at all.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Sorry for butting in but,
Ogreballerina, what do these symptoms suggest?
"Does she have any pain? Such as a sharp pain below the ribs...chest pain..pain in the jaws? Also unexplained pain on her back or arms?"

Closed Thread