It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Woke up throat on fire

I have been suffering with undiagnosed stomach problems for almost 3 years.
This morning something new happened.
I woke up this morning lying on my stomach and my throat was on fire.
I reached for something to drink and my throat felt really dry and cracked as I drank. For about an hour afterwards, after I got up and around, I had horrible bloating and I felt like there was something stuck in my throat.
I was in a panic because I felt like I was going to choke.
Now all day I've had horrible gas.
I've had the bloating and gas before but never woke up with my throat on fire like that.
The back of my throat I've noticed for years has always been really red and bloodshot looking but I always thought that was my allergies.
Can anyone help?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

snowflake11 HB User
Re: Woke up throat on fire

yes, i can help and no, i can't help. i can tell you that it sounds like you experienced the first joys of LPR this morning. the acid reflux made it past your UES and into your throat while you were sleeping. and it irritated it. sleeping on your stomach is not a good idea to prevent the acid flow. try sleeping on your left side. hopefully you'll be lucky and this will never happen again.

that said, no, i can't tell you exactly how to fix it if it reoccurs. do a search on LPR in this forum and you'll find all kinds of anecdotal stories. you could try ppi's or some of the alternative options. lpr seems to confound many and seems to be a tricky thing to manage. i wish i could hand you a magic fix, but i don't have one. all i can do is tell you what happened last night. i hope you stay well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Ever since this happened to me the last few days I feel terrible. I have this constant feeling of something stuck in my throat. My stomach burns, my throat burns and I have horrible gas and I am constantly burping.
I am drinking over the counter antacids every couple of hours and its really not helping.
I have prescription prevacid dissolvables and those don't help either.
I am so miserable.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Can ice cream like plain vanilla irritate acid reflux? I have been eating a lot of ice cream lately. It seems to help at first ease the burning and stomach irritation but then later on I get the burning and gnawing very uncomfortable irritated stomach.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User

The ice cream feels like it's helping because it coats and cools your irritated esopohagus. But then milk/dairy products are not easily digested and I find them to be a big no-no for my acid reflux. Personally, I do much better to chew on some crushed ice or some chilled gingerale or 7-Up.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

i am very curious as to why these problems just suddenly start in people. Hamilton, can i quiz you? what was going on with you the month prior to getting these symptoms? were you taking antibiotics? did you change your diet - add any new foods? have you been taking other meds for anything? was there any new stress in your life? basically did any circumstances or habits change for you? like sleeping more/less? were you sick at all - cold, flu? did you change vitamins?

thanks - maybe your answers will help figure a solution.

Closed Thread