It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User
pain in middle of chest due to reflux/indegestion?

i have acid reflux, mitral valve, and anxiety issues. i have been on nexium 40 mg for month of so and reflux has been better. caffeine still really bothers me. i really just can't drink it anymore. the thing is latley i have been having this pain right in middle of chest like where esophagus is. it just feels like an ache. hard to describe but it hurts. my ? is it is not that burning feeling like with reflux just hurts in middle of chest, does anyone else have this with their acid relux/indegstion? it could be related to my anxiety though.

The following user gives a hug of support to teacher2be:
Sanjith R Verma (09-13-2011)
Old 03-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: pain in middle of chest due to reflux/indegestion?

Yes chest pain is a big part of GERD, unfortunatly. My chest hurts me constantly. Weird twinges. Anyway is it possible you may have a hiatal hernia? Some people say they cause pain and some don't. I have a small one and it does bother me alot. Not so much pain but an annoyance.
Gerd pain can also go down into your left arm, affect your shoulders and even you jaw. Gerd pretty much sucks. Hope thats of some help to you.
Anxiety can give you chest tighness too and I also deal with that. I think a lot of people do these days. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

Yes, I get that same pain that you describe! Actually I have never had heart burn as such- just the constant cough, a sort of bloated feeling & that pain which can be reallly bad lieing down. I also get it with exertion- but to a lesser degree. I think Gerd affects different people in different ways!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

I have this and it's always certain to make me consider having heart problems alongside the gerd (if I have gerd after all the testing is done)
It is a really hard pain sometimes, like an apple core is stuck. At other times an ache! Fed-up! None of the PPI's have helped this symptom; sometimes I wonder whether they have made this particular symptom worse.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Oh My Gosh!!! I am right there for you! Same thing here! My Anxiety over this whole thing is about to put me in a padded room! People say that I should exercise, but for me the GERD is worse with exercise. Last year, I had my heart checked out, doc said all good, but I guess that it still sits in the back of your mind. Maybe it is all of the ads on tv and in magazines about woment and heart issues, not many GERD ads really tell people what ALL of the GERD symptoms are nor do they say that it is hit or miss as to whether the drugs are going to work. They may work for awhile, but then you have a bad round of stress/anxiety and the GERD is back with a vengence. I have to say that at least I feel better knowing that I am not alone, but I hate that there are so many of us suffering this way!
Take Care All!!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
(female)

cyearwood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher2be View Post
i have acid reflux, mitral valve, and anxiety issues. i have been on nexium 40 mg for month of so and reflux has been better. caffeine still really bothers me. i really just can't drink it anymore. the thing is latley i have been having this pain right in middle of chest like where esophagus is. it just feels like an ache. hard to describe but it hurts. my ? is it is not that burning feeling like with reflux just hurts in middle of chest, does anyone else have this with their acid relux/indegstion? it could be related to my anxiety though.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
(male)

richn33 HB User

Wow, this is exactly how I have been feeling. I have been told I have some sort of acid problem. I do not get the heartburn that some speak of. Mine is total chest pain, thightness, pressure you name it. It tends to freak me out sometimes. I even get the pain in my jaw and shoulder to boot. I have had countless heart tests done through my GP as well as emergency rooms all have come back normal. I am having an endoscopy in a couple of weeks so hopefully that will answer some of the questions I have.
I am on 40mg Omezaprole with not much success. The chest discomfort drives me nuts. It can come on with an empty stomach or a full meal and the weirdest foods bring it on more than others. Sometimes a glass of water will bring it on. Sometime I burp and it goes away, other times it does not.

Rich

Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I would look in to allergy testing to see if excess mucus production due to allergic responses is causing excess stomach acid problems and as a side effect LPR. If taking and OTC anti-histamine/decongestant combination in addition to the acid reducer and blocker helps. You are having drainage stimulated reflux. Basically when mucus drains into the stomach it triggers the digestion process. You produce acid and there is nothing to neutralize that acid eventually it gets so bad you chest hurts, can cough and get nausea chronically, and many other tale tell signs.

My acid reflux is strongly linked to my allergic triggers. Food, Environment, and Irrirtants.

Best of luck.
Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
(male)

superchef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richn33 View Post
Wow, this is exactly how I have been feeling. I have been told I have some sort of acid problem. I do not get the heartburn that some speak of. Mine is total chest pain, thightness, pressure you name it. It tends to freak me out sometimes. I even get the pain in my jaw and shoulder to boot. I have had countless heart tests done through my GP as well as emergency rooms all have come back normal. I am having an endoscopy in a couple of weeks so hopefully that will answer some of the questions I have.
I am on 40mg Omezaprole with not much success. The chest discomfort drives me nuts. It can come on with an empty stomach or a full meal and the weirdest foods bring it on more than others. Sometimes a glass of water will bring it on. Sometime I burp and it goes away, other times it does not.

Rich
I get exactly the same symptons, it really does my head in having a tight chest.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
(male)

Riquelmy26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLife414 View Post
Oh My Gosh!!! I am right there for you! Same thing here! My Anxiety over this whole thing is about to put me in a padded room! People say that I should exercise, but for me the GERD is worse with exercise. Last year, I had my heart checked out, doc said all good, but I guess that it still sits in the back of your mind. Maybe it is all of the ads on tv and in magazines about woment and heart issues, not many GERD ads really tell people what ALL of the GERD symptoms are nor do they say that it is hit or miss as to whether the drugs are going to work. They may work for awhile, but then you have a bad round of stress/anxiety and the GERD is back with a vengence. I have to say that at least I feel better knowing that I am not alone, but I hate that there are so many of us suffering this way!
Take Care All!!
I used to get that feeling. Damn, all I wanted to do was to kill myself everytime I got it. BUt then I started taking Apple Cider Vinager with Mother and since then I have seen so much improvement that sometimes I feel like I have nothing anymore.
Read the book, "Natural Cures". It will enlight you a bit more in the subject.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
(female)

Somnambulist HB User

I have the pain in the middle of my chest, too. Have had countless EKG's over the years and been to ER enough times. Had an EKG this morning in fact and still can't feel better about this. Hav ehad TONS of sinus drainage, haven't been eating or sleeping well due to family stuff. Lost a lot of weight, have gnawing pressure (like squeezing at the top of my stomach where ribs meet) and feels like I can't catch my breath from it. also heart beating HEAVY and I can't go from one room to another without feeling exhausted and out of breath. Doc says it's not my heart, told me to take Xanax. I have generalized anxiety disorder, had barium swallow and diagnosed with GERD, have iBS, and still terrified.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
(female)

Linda May HB User

How awful that we all have these problems--I could cry... Right now I have horrible pain at the bottom of my sternum bone, inside. Zantac and Nexium haven't helped. Acifex didn't either. I have a large hiatal hernia too that sent me to the ER, thought it was a heart attack !

Any comments about various medicines out there? Has anyone found something that works?

Old 04-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #13
(male)

richn33 HB User

Well, I had the endoscopy and it showed a small hiatal hernia but thankfully no damage to the esophagus. The chest pain still drives me nuts. I heard hiatal hernia pain can be the same as heart attack pain. Has anyone heard this as well. Also does anyone get the jaw pain along with the chest pain?

Old 04-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Rich..I do get the pain in my shoulder and my jaw. I do get the pain on both sides I get the pains in my chest, my back, and even today my side under my armpit. I am going to a new GI doc next monday so I hope that I can get some help.. My PCP put me on Prevacid about 2 weeks ago and I do notice a difference, the attacks don't seem to be as bad, but I am really afraid of being on a medication for too long. (Of course, I say that and today my attack is pretty bad)
Sometimes milk does help me, but for some people it makes things worse..
Good Luck to you!
Crazy

Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi, the pain in the chest is most likely esophageal spasms. They do mimic a heart attack. I currently eat soda crackers for this, I have heard that drinking warm water helps, but I have had this since 1981, I find that soda crackers help more than anything. Also, they can do botox injections in the esophagus for this. Mine does not contract anyway, so it wouldn't hurt, but not sure how it affects a working esoophagus. I am never going back to the doc for this, don't want to do anything for it as they ruptured my esophagus trying to dialate it. Yep, I am allergic to those docs.

Sunny

Closed Thread