It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

hopebetter HB User
Shocked at the result from Biopsy

Hi all,
Last week, I had endoscopy done and biopsy taken. I just got the result. I was shocked at the result.
They found out that I have pre-cancer cells - intestinal metaplasia. (Antral mucose with mild inactive chronic gastris, foveolar hyperplasia and intestinal metaplasia - listed in biopsy report no H. pylori identified). The doctor asked me to recheck after two years. No medicine is given (except Zantac) and no treatment unless H. pylori is found.

I only experienced heart burn and no other severe symptons. When I had heart burn sympton backed to 5 years ago, The doc put me in Prevacid for 3-4 years. Recently, I stopped. I just wonder whether the bacteria grow easily since there is not too much aicd in your stomach due to PPI long term use.

Can anyone share what kind of foods or diet help with my situation? Any treatment available except waiting?

Thank you and hope that you feel better.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User
Re: Shocked at the result from Biopsy

Wow, I want to discuss this with my gastro Dr. I took PPI for 2 years now. Anyway, those are not working. I think the PPI would cause cancer. All meds are chemical and full of side effect! Short term is medicine, if long term it could be toxic. That's what I believe! Poor stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
(female)

glemis HB User

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about these test results. The first thing I would do is get a second opinion to see if there is anything you can proactively do to prevent these pre-cancer cells from going any further.

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about a product called PepZin-Gi made by a company called Lonza. The article talked about how zinc and carnosine will help support the mucosal lining of the stomach and intestines. PepZin-GI has both of these and I think other things combined into one tablet. You can do an internet search to learn more about this supplement. I remember it specifically mentioning preventing stomach cancer and healing. I bought a bottle a couple of years ago and took it while I was having gastritis to protect my stomach. Anyway, it may be something you can do other than to sit around and wait for two years.

I'm also a big fan of probiotics. I take the kind that has to be refrigerated with like 8 billion micrograms of acidophilus and bifidus. I think good bacteria crowds out the bad bacteria that causes problems in out stomachs and intestines. I'm not a doctor, but I know I feel a whole lot better when my stomach has the right balance.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your situation.

Joyce

Old 04-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
(female)

hopebetter HB User

Thanks all for your support and help. I really appreciate it.

You are right. I need to get the seond opinion on this. As this GI doc siad that it has nothing to treat now except you have H. pylori identified.

I'll definitely check Pepzin GI out.

Thanks for your sharing.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
(female)

glemis HB User

Hi

Your biopsy showed NO h-pylori? Did I read that correctly? My biopsy showed no h-pylori and yet my doctor sent me for a breath test and it came back positive. Unless that picked just the correct sample from your biopsy, they may have missed it.....the biopsy missed mine! Insist that your doctor order a breath test (very simple and can be done where you get bloodwork taken).

Joyce

Old 04-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
(female)

hopebetter HB User

Thank you. I am going to ask my GI doc next week. Also, I did blood test and it came out negatively.

BTW, which brand of probiotics you bought?

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Hi, Did your doctor mention Barretts Esophagus to you? That is a pre-cancerous condition when the lining of your stomach comes up into your esophagus and causes irratation. It is due to excessive reflux. Some people don't realize they even have reflux. That is called silent reflux. The only thing to do now, besides getting a second opinion, is to stay on the PPI's. They keep the acids down in your stomach and not in your esophagus. Sleep slightly elevated at night. Don't eat spicy or acidic foods. Caffeine, chocolate, tomato sauce, onions, etc. are no good either. There is a new procedure that some hospitals are trying and that is to burn the bad cells off. The FDA is tryin to get the procedure approved. Good Luck

Old 04-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
(female)

glemis HB User

Hi

Sorry for delay in response. The probiotic I use is by Now Foods. You can search them on the internet.

Again, good luck!

Joyce

Closed Thread