It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 05:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
I can't hold a conversation without my throat tightening and getting breathy!!

I'm so fed up, went to a birthday party yesterday and was yawning the whole time trying to get air into my lungs, felt like my throat was so tight from all the talking. Then by the end of the night it was burning...I don't know what I am doing wrong! I took 2 Aciphex yesterday and didnt eat anything bad.
Does anyone else have this problem with talking?? I feel like it's only me!
So upset !

Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User
Re: I can't hold a conversation without my throat tightnening and getting breathy!!

definitly not just you... I am suffering just as bad even worst.. now I feel like I am having the worst diarrhea ever together with headache! The pressure is so bad I feel like I am gonna have seizures My throat feels like its closing and my ear pressure is just as bad... not to mention the back and neck pain .. I am honestly ready to give up...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
(male)

Timbrado HB User
Re: I can't hold a conversation without my throat tightening and getting breathy!!

Alex
I have had the same symptoms over the last year; talking becomes very difficult sometimes, and I can't figure out what I've eaten, taken ppi's, etc...
yesterday I was having a great day, and then had a long conversation and my voice just started to feel (not sound) weak and slightly irritated; by the end of the day i had that cool burn in my gut...I have found though, that the voice problems have gotten better, but it has taken months, almost a year now...just have to hang in there...

Old 04-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Re: I can't hold a conversation without my throat tightening and getting breathy!!

Me too I have had it with all this pain its been 15 months everyday I have had pain under my ribs at the front, I have been having nausea with a burning pain in my stomach above belly button for months, I have it now!!
I take 20 mg Losec two times a day and still have the pain.

I did have a Endoscopy last August that showed I had inflammation of the duodenum.
I don't seem to be able to stop the pain ??

Like you chikkie I have real bad headaches and I get neck and back pain.

The past two have been hell for me in August of 2005 I was told I have a under active thyroid then in Feb of 2006 I lost my dear mum she was only 61.

In sept 2006 I was told I am in the menopause I am 41 years old!!

I have had so much pain in about every part of my body I have had a cold that has knocked me for six I have had it for a month along with a sore throat.

Anyway I could go on and on, I hope you both get the help that you need to get to feel better.

take care...Mandy

Old 04-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WHY WHY WHY can't they find a cure for this? I just don't understand. I really don't think they realize how much of a problem this is. I can't even work, i'm only 34 and people think I'm crazy when I tell them that I am this bad all from reflux????!!
I have tried every pill natural and prescription, however the GI says I don't have reflux, go figure... the ENT insists I do because my vocal cords are red and swollen. I am with you Chikkie , I'm ready to give up. My quality of life sucks now!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

I am only 26, newly married and finally about to get our first very own house.. am I happy? NO!!!! We are thinking of having babies but I dont think my with condition now, there is just no way I can do it. And YES i cannot hold any conversation without making a fool of myself... either by having anxiety attack, gagging for air or just plain being sick! When will all these end?? does anyone have any answer?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I fel for you, yu sound just like me. I wish I had an answer as to when this will end.
It's been a little over 6 months and nothing still. I am so depressed over this as well.
Some days I snap out of it and just suck it up but other days I just feel down right depressed and pitty myself which I know is not healthy. today I am feeling sick on top of it all so now I feel doubly worse.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Just a quick thought. I know everyone does not have a sleep disorder, but sleep disorders resulting in sleep deprivation are known to aggrevate acid reflux, prevent your body from hitting all the sleep stages necessary to maintain: respiratory health, joints and muscles. Cause chronic fatigue and weight gain or an inability to lose weight. Some of you remind me of.. well me, before being diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Check into and maybe get a sleep consultaion.

Best of luck to you all and I am wishing that you find a solution to your ills soon.
Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MKGBrook
WOW that is crazy because although I don't have sleep apnea (I had a sleep study) i do have severe insomnia which I have had all my life. I almost never get into a deep sleep pretty much stay in REM sleep all night, my immune system is really comprimised from this I ma sure. Do you think this could be a connection?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes. There are five stages of sleep. In the third you dream. Fourth you repair muscles and soft systems and such. Fifth bone and joints. If you don't get adequate sleep you begin to break down early as a result. I learned this from watching how it was effecting my whole family. You need to see if the sleep MD's can help you achieve all levels of sleep.

Best of luck to you.
Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

I notice that my sleeping problems only accur when I am having a bad spell with my GERD or LPR.. does that count as a sleeping disorder??

Old 04-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

If it is chronic you may be having it all the time and only notice it when it exceeds a certain threshold. It is possible Acid Reflux is intereferring with your sleep enough that it is causing a sleep disorder.

There are well phrased questionaires that you can fill out that will with a high degree of accuracy determine whether or not you are a candidate for a sleep disorder. Two main tests are the Epworth Sleepiness Scale in conjunction with a Questionnaire for Sleep Apnea Risk. Looking up these in conjunction with sleep disorders can be very informative.

There are many sleep disorders, good sleep hygiene and medication are needed to combat some.. but in the case of sleep apnea it can cause a SIDS incidence in children under the age of two, behavioral and growth supression in children and young adults, and chronic respiratory illness, a bad heart, blood pressure issues, and much more. Think of it this way. If you don't get a good nights sleep and you are generally a happy go lucky sort of person. How do you feel the following morning? Tired, crabby, like miscellaneous animal ofal? What if every morning for years and years you felt like that? Even a week can cause depression.. long term it just wears you down.

Good luck finding a sleep disorder if you have one. Here are some facts that the sleep center I deal with for me and my family passed on..

60% adults have sleeping issues a few nights every week!
40% have sleeping issues severe enough to interefere with their daily function (work, home life, etc) at least a few days a month.
20% have issues that interefer a few days a week!
100,000 automobile accidents a year are sleep related (falling asleep at the wheel)

There are 80 different recongnized sleep disorders, and only a fraction of sufferers get diagnosed due to ignorance or a willingness to except daily life as a chore and poor sleep as the norm. It never hurts to call your local sleep disorder center and pick up documentation. Read it over. It is very clear if you need to make and appointment for a consultation. The sleep doctor will determine if an actual over night sleep study is necessary.

Hope this answered your questions.
Respectfully,
MG

Closed Thread