It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
GERD and constant chest pains?

Over the past two months I have been getting a sharp shooting pain on the left chest area. The pain is not localized to one spot, but jumps around under my left breast plate. I have had these pains every single day for two months. It hits randomly, when I am relaxing, working out , and even lying down. I had an echo done and everything came back okay. My doctor thinks I have GERD, and I have noticed I have been burping a little bit lately. He gave me medication, so if it goes away after a week then it must be GERD otherwise I am going to have more testing done. Does anyone know if GERD can cause left sided sharp shooting pains---several times a day for 2 months straight? I do not have heartburn or anything else......

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: GERD and constant chest pains?

Yes. Mine did. Often. It was the worst when I was pregnant. I felt like I was refluxing pure lava and that tomato and oniion were going to make my heart pop. Acid medication made a big difference.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Yes GERD can cause chest pain. If you get a chance, go back on this message board and you will read a lot of people suffer from chest painsalong with GERD. I do and have been for several years now. And just like you, the pain is quick and comes from out of the blue weather I'm lying down or at work. Maybe you should look into getting an endo done. It will show if you have a hiatal hernia also, which also causes discomfort. It's always best to have your heart checked out like you did too. Good luck

Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks for your reply Linda. Are you chest pains sharp and shooting? I do not have heartburn at all, the pain feels like a quick zap. I really hope this is what is causing the pain. I had a chest xray today so if that comes out okay then most things have been ruled out (seeing as my echo came back clear).

Thanks again

Old 04-03-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

I have that left side chect pain.. it just appears randomly form time to time... like I can pin point where the pain exactly is.. its like the boney part of my left chest... I stopped having heartburn and reflux since I took PPIs but the pain is still there.. had EKG and returned normal... I notice though that the pain uslay comes when I am having hard time with gas or when I cannot burp... the pain will shoot and then after a while I will burp... I think its gas... try ginger tea with honey it helps...

Old 04-04-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
(male)

miknan HB User

I am the same as chickki. My reflux is under control with my meds but just yesterday I had horrible stabbing pains in my chest that I was afraid was a heart attack although I know better now. I went away after a few minutes.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

So it sounds like it must be GERD that I have since you both have sharp quick zap like pains as well. Again, I do not have heartburn, sore throat or reflux like many do. I can get a bit of gas I suppose that is do to my little burps.

On the good side of things, I listened to my doctor when he said he thought this was what I had (though I swore it was my heart or some sort of chest tumore and that he was wrong .....I started taking the meds he prescribed for GERD. I have been on them 3 days and my sharp quick pains have slowed down a lot. Hopefully it goes away all together. The worst part is not quite knowing if this is what I have or not. However, if controlled by the meds then thats my answer. I know you can all relate, it can be scary when you first experience it!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

i just was told today mine acid reflix my chest pain is on left side and along the breast bone also i feel pain right at the breast bone and from throat to breast bone and i allways thought it was aniety she gave me meds to start tomorrow i was on prilosec that didnt help but they gave me that for my stomach .so if it goes away which im hoping i'll be fine .also can this cause your throat to feel sore like a sorethroat ? and yes when i feel it i keep thinking its a heart attack too ,i also just found out i have thyriod disorder but i have had this chest feeling and right down the middle between the breast where its hurt since jan 2006.
vickie

Closed Thread