It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
(male)

EntreDragon HB User
Weird feeling in lower right rib cage?

I was told my problem was similar to those who had problems with gall bladder/acid reflux so I posted this here, does any one know what this is?

I am a 20 year old male, havn't ever had any major health issues.

I do smoke

I have a strange feeling of discomfort in my lower right chest, towards the bottom of my rib cage. It doesn't hurt or anything like that which is why I havn't been too concerned about it. But it's been going on a little longer than I would like so I am trying to find out what is wrong. When I sit down I notice it more, it's just a strange discomfort almost like something is inside my chest that shouldn't be... which sounds really weird. Aside from sitting down, I also notice it when laying on my right side, I mostly sleep laying on my left side.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thank you

Old 04-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Weird feeling in lower right rib cage?

Try taking prilosec OTC. If it helps you are dealing with acid reflux.

Acid reflux is a condition brought on by an increased acid production or high acidic concentration in the stomach. In the case of this higher concentrated volume solution, it has only one place to go up and down the upper GI tract. It can cause ulcers.. thinning of the esphogus, sinus trouble and many other conditions when chronic.

Treatment is essential. One of the best ways to treat it is management of your diet and health. Stopping smoking would be a good thing. As a chemist and having experienced the death of my grandfathers and an uncle from smoking.. well I can give you some detailed reasons to stop polluting your body in addition to the chemical reaction of the smoke with your stomach acid.

Best of luck finding an answer.
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 04-04-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
(male)

EntreDragon HB User

I see prilosec OTC is a 14-day thing, what do I do after those 14 days?

I will try and stop smoking

What can I do for my diet? I am 20 so I don't have very much cooking/food knowledge or experience, I eat pretty much whatever but I do try and stay away from fast food. But what kind of food would be easy for me to cook and good for my diet?

Thank you

Old 04-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Think Cave man diet.. no seriously.. if it is something you can kill, skin, cook and eat.. gather eat and/or cook and eat.. you don't need it. That was how it was initially explained to me.

Increasing your fiber intake can help. Don't lay down with in a 1-2 hour period of eating. If you do a research on GERD and diet recommendations you should get something like this depressing list given to my husband and I on our do's and don'ts.

Gerd and LPR life hygiene recommendations:
1) Eat light meals through out the day and at least three hours prior to any physical activity(bending and stooping make reflux realy bad on a full stomach), intense vocal activity, reclining or sleeping.
2) Beverages to avoid ingestion of: alcohol, caffeinated beverages, decaf coffee, carbonated beverages, and citrus juices. I miss carbonation but that stems from carbonic acid in the drink which buffers and strengthens the acid in your stomach.
3) Eliminate fatty, fried, spicy, and acidic foods from the diet.. my husband misses his fried seafood.
4) Avoid acidic medications such as aspirin and vitamin C
5) Take medications as directed
6) Elevate the head of the bed by at least six inches (15-30 degree incline.. I used blanket rolls between the matress and box springs to do this.
7) Take antacids when acute symptoms appear
8) Avoid chemically filled environments (smoke, fume filled environments)
9) Avoid mints, chocolates, or nuts (I could care less about the nuts, but chocolate and mints come on!)
10) Eat slowly, too much food hitting the stomach at once, will stimulate the stomach in to producing large amounts of excess acid, because the current stomach acid volume is not sufficient to process the overload.

Sincerely.
MG

Closed Thread