It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
(female)

deena123 HB User
Do Low-Carb diets help in eliminating acid reflux?

Do Low-Carb diets help in eliminating acid reflux?

Old 04-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
(female)

tee-pee HB User
Re: Do Low-Carb diets help in eliminating acid reflux?

Hi and welcome,

I tried a low-carb diet and it did reduce the acid. Problem is, if you do eat any carbs after(breads, pasta) it comes back with a vengeance. Also, i found if i ate any carbs i would get so sleepy and the smallist amount would fill me up.

Good luck and happy Easter!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
(female)

Oolaalaa HB User
Re: Do Low-Carb diets help in eliminating acid reflux?

Yes! I had been suffering from acid reflux for over a year.. horrible gerd. I would awake in the middle of the night unable to breathe because there was so much acid in my throat. It wouldn't matter if I didn't eat for up to 6 hours before I slept. I was put on the medicine track.. first the over the counter meds.. and worked up to nexium. Nexium caused horrible headaches but those subsided after a while. After a while though, the nexium just wasn't helping anymore. I was absolutely desperate when I came across a website which talked about how he had cured his gerd by eating low carbs. I started that very day and within 2 weeks: no more nexium and no more gerd. It was gone. *poof*

I did have some problems with yeast about 2 months into the diet. I had to 'deyeast'. There are several over the counter vitamins that can help with that. Please talk to your doctor first and make sure it's okay. Also, if you don't want to commit to an actual 'diet' then maybe just eat your carbs early in the day. At night just eat some grilled chicken and green beans. Stay away from red sauce.

If on the other hand you commit to a full low carb diet, you have a chance at eating all the foods you loved in the past. For instance, I couldn't have ANY red sauce at all before low carb. Now I was able to eat ribs with BBQ sauce and then lie down 15 minutes sure in the knowledge no more heartburn or gerd.

It worked for me so I would definitely give it a try. Just tell yourself: "I'll do this for 2 weeks.. just 2". It's tough at first, but fun inventing new ways of making your favorite foods. The only time now I have problems with gerd is if I take any NSAIDS (Advil, Aleve, etc.) Those meds seem to destroy my stomach.

Good luck. Let me know if anyone tries it.

*hugs*

Closed Thread