It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
PPI Protonix??????

Well I finally gave in a started using the Protonix samples the Doc gave me. It's now day 4 and I have noticed some changes. The aching burning pain in by upper stomach seems much better. But now I am starting to notice more discomfort in my chest. It feels like pressure or a mild aching feeling usually worse after I eat. Prior to using the Protonix I generally felt better after eating and the stomach pain would increase when it was getting time to eat again, I seldom had any chest type pain maybe a day or two each week. My question is; Do I need to change anything about my eating habits while using the medications because of the reduced stomach acid levels? I basicly eat 5 or 6 small meals of fairly bland food and drink abut 80 oz of water per day. Thanks..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: PPI Protonix??????

It takes a good two weeks for your system to get used to and regulate with protonix.. during this period, gas-x helped mitigate the pressure that resulted alot.

Nexium is working well for me. I transitioned to it seemlessly from protonix. The diet seems fine.. however stay upright and walk after your heavier meals.. even if it is about the house. Give your self 30 minutes on your feet time. It helps greatly.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

MG thanks for the advice. If this crappy weather ever clears up I think a walk after dinner would do me some good. Might help take my mind off of it as well as help with the digestion. Thanks again.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
(male)

Riquelmy26 HB User

Try taking Apple Cider Vinager with Mother.I used to be hocked on Protonix but I read that after long term use, it could cause ED. I stopped them completely. Look, I don't promise you it will cure you, but it will make you feel better. It did for me.
I have not taken a Zantac, Protonix, Malox or any of them in so long. All I do is take two tablespoons of the vinager after meals and I feel fine. I really hope it works for you. Or you can buy the acid in pills. They do the same work, except, that it takes longer to take effect.
Good luck

Old 04-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Question Re: PPI Protonix??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riquelmy26 View Post
Try taking Apple Cider Vinager with Mother.I used to be hocked on Protonix but I read that after long term use, it could cause ED. I stopped them completely. Look, I don't promise you it will cure you, but it will make you feel better. It did for me.
I have not taken a Zantac, Protonix, Malox or any of them in so long. All I do is take two tablespoons of the vinager after meals and I feel fine. I really hope it works for you. Or you can buy the acid in pills. They do the same work, except, that it takes longer to take effect.
Good luck
I had a Doctor's appt today and I have been taking Protonix for 4+ years. No ED yet and I asked...he said that was the first time he had heard of that side effect!! and I am 59 years old!!

Dave

Old 04-14-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
(male)

jj9500 HB User

Hi - I've been on protnox for a couple years now - taking it for a course of 1 month as needed. I recently ran into a bad bout of reflux - terrible chest pain in upper stomach (almost like BAD cramps that come and go) accompanied by regurgitation. I don't have a perscription of Protonix in the house and went out and bought some Prilosec. I heard this is very similar to Protonix. Has anyone used this. If so, does it work? By the way, what is ED? One time when I went to get my perscription of protonix refilled I was concerned because I had been on it so long, I asked the pharmacist if there are any side effects from long term use - she said there are possibiliites that it can lead to stomach cancers. That was enough for me to hear, so looking for other options.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

I've been on Protonix for 2 years. Tried Prilosec and it wasn't nearly strong enough. Still had reflux and regurgitation, along with occasional bouts of projectile vomiting (yeah, i know..... TMI). It might work for you tho.

Am currently looking into other alternatives as, from what I've been reading, PPIs can also cause vitamin B-12 deprivation and osteoporosis (with long-term use). Also recently found out that Protonix hasn't been clinically tested for use lasting longer than 12 weeks. Not sure I want to be a live-action guinea pig.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxie63 View Post
Am currently looking into other alternatives as, from what I've been reading, PPIs can also cause vitamin B-12 deprivation and osteoporosis (with long-term use). Also recently found out that Protonix hasn't been clinically tested for use lasting longer than 12 weeks. Not sure I want to be a live-action guinea pig.
Nyxie I have read the same type of information regarding the lack of absorbtion of many important minerals and vitamins when the stomach acid levels are low.

I ran across a very interesting article describing the process for producing and neuteralizing acid. The title of the article was "Thoughts on Acid Reflux". It is actually a Soap Box article on a fibromyalgia site. If the description of the process is correct in the article I'm would think fibromyalgia could possibly be caused from the use of PPIs since it effects some of the same nutrients are believed to be part of the cause of fibromyalgia. Anyway I found it to be an interesting read gave me a few thing to think about.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Well after day 8 I said "Forget It" it Protonix just didn't seem to agree with me. I had headaches nearly every day and I started having noticable reflux when bending over and right after eating athough it did not cause much pain I guess it was doing its job of eliminating the acid. It's been about 4 days now with out it and so far so good. Today I feel just about like what I remember normal to be.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red60,

I'm not inclined to go as far as to say the use of PPIs are the cause of Fibro, but I do think they can be a contributing factor. 2 of my friends have Fibro and neither has ever taken a PPI or any rx med for excess stomach acid.

I've been doing a great deal of reading lately and see a common thread among many ailments, including Fibro, as being vitamin and mineral-deficiency, but minerals in particular. I have a great deal more research to do, but it certainly gives some food for thought.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riquelmy26 View Post
Good luck
I've been reading as much info on reflux as I can and I am starting to lean toward low acid being the cause of my problem. And I believe ACV or HCl may be part of the solution for me. Another part of my diet that change was the intake of SODAs I went from drinking 6-10 diet sodas a day to one every day or so. Just for kicks I drank a soda with each meal this weekend to see what would happen. It's to early to claim victory but I've felt pretty good the last two days. Even if it works I've got to figure out something else because I now understand some of the dangers of consuming that amout of soda. I've got a Dr Appt tomorrow morning, I wonder what the good Dr would think if I told him the Protonix didn't work but drinking a can of diet cola with each meal fixed me up. LOL

Old 04-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red60, your soda solution made me giggle, but it really does make sense.

I've also been looking into the apple cider vinegar treatment. Several sites suggest adding a tsp of honey (preferably local, if you can get it) and 2 tsp of organic apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and sipping it through each meal. I've tried taking the vinegar straight and felt like a hole was being burned through my stomach, so the honey and water idea sounds a bit more do-able.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Question Re: PPI Protonix??????

hi all i too just started protonix ,i was feeling dizzy and had headachs i thought it was from something else well i havent took any protonix in like 3 days and i dont have anymore dizziness or headachs maybe the protonix was doing that i have also tried prilosec for awhile it helped some i also have prevacid i havent really took much of those my insurance only paid some i had to pay 125.00 for 30 pills is ged or acid reflex where the pain goes down the middle of your chest and into the stomach? cause thats where mine hurts and i never knew protonix caused stomach cancer .but i do feel that since stopping the meds my pian is back and my stomach hurts again and i get chills in my chest and at times it does hurt not bad hurt but uncomfortable hurt.and does acid reflex cause you to have trouble breathing at times ? like wheezing sometimes i wake up in the am and have trouble breathing my dr gave me that inhaler she said it will help plus says i have asma. shoot now im confused wheather i should keep taking the protonix i dont have any refills on this one but i can get more but if its what caused my dizziness and headachs i dont want it i did ok on prilosec 30 mg only i took just 1 and those only cost me 10.00 protonix was 25.00 and the prevacid was 125.00 so which one would be best and how long will it take to make it go away my sister used protonix but she had like 15 ulcers and it cleared hers up my dad had prevacid and it healed his im thinking mine may be ulcers but im not for sure how do they test you to find out ?
vickie

Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Met with the PA this morning and have a upper GI scheduled for tomorrow AM I guess thats a start in the right direction. This was my first visit with the PA so I started from the begining and gave her the full story including the what I've recently noticed with the soda. To my suprise she said that could very well be the problem. She even went on to say that the roots of todays soft drinks where drinks prepared by pharmacist's to help with stomach pains and they evolved into the commercial products we buy now. That's why up untill the early sixty's the drug store would mix and serve sodas. I can still remember getting the best cherry cokes at the drug store when I was a young one. She suggested to continue to drink the soft drinks with meals for awhile and see how it goes.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Vickie, Has your Dr ruled out Cardio causes for your symptoms? I think that would be an important first step for obvious reasons.

A persons symptoms, Upper GI Barium Swallow and Endoscopy test are probably the most common ways to detect ulcers. I have no idea which meds would be best for your condition I think you should really be getting that advice from your Dr. A lot of what you describe sound like reflux and while I've not had the breathing issues I have heard others say they had simular symptoms.

Don't get the wrong idea I believe that PPIs have their place and are probably the best drug that the medical community has in their arsonal to prevent very serious side effects from GERDS. I know someone who has experience the full wrath of GERDS including cancer and I can tell you it is not a pretty thing. I don't know how he has kept going for the last 15 years with all he has been thru. These drugs may have short and long term side effects some of them could even be serious but when you weigh the pros and cons I feel their use is more than justified if you have a condition that calls for them. I just think that many Doctors use them without knowing for sure that it's neccessary. In my line of work we sometimes take a simular approach we call it "Shotgunning". IMO the shotgun approach isn't the right way to go about solving the types of issues we are normaly discussing on this forum.

Closed Thread