It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

ShannaS HB User
antacid question

I was diagnosed w/ GERD back in 91. Lived on every type of oct antacids, moved onto rx antacids and now back on Rolaids.
My question is now I am spitting blood a few times a week, have burning in upper stomach and nausea. Now hubby tells me my breath is horrible, like a garbage disposal he says
I really don't think I have underlying health problems due to recent dr. visits so I am curious if my antacids are killing any good acid I need for proper digestion. I feel you will all come back and say yes so I am curious what I should do.
Hopefully someone out there has been in my shoes anc can give me some tips.
Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: antacid question

Sounds like an ulcer to me but I'm no doctor. You should get in to see a doctor and get it checked out. I've know a few people with ulcers and they seemed to do very well after just a week or two with the proper meds. I wish you speedy recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: antacid question

The rest of your question.

"so I am curious if my antacids are killing any good acid I need for proper digestion."

I've being reading up on ulcers because I suspect that I may have one myself. One of the primary causes is H.pylori infection and many of the articles I've read seem to suggest that a low acid environment may allow this to thrive. The typical treatment is temporary use (2 to 8 weeks) of a PPI and about two weeks of antibiotics. There are a number of ways to test for H.pylori: breath test, blood test and stool tests. So I guess it is possible that prolonged use of antacids could very well contribute to ulcers.

Closed Thread