It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Need Help with Food Elimination

I've read on this forum that food allergies can be reflux triggers. This got me thinking about my own situation since my problem developed after changing my diet to control high cholesterol. I really overhauled my diet and my problems began after about six weeks. I'm going to list some of the foods I've been eating nearly every day that I never used to eat or ate very seldom. Could you comment on those that you feel could be suspect.

1\2 cup Oatmeal and 1/2 cup Blueberries for Breakfast every morning.(I've ate oatmeal before but not daily)

Nuts: Walnuts and Almonds (I've ate these but never daily and not in these quanities about 1/2 cup a day between the two) It seems like I feel a mild tingling in my palms after eating the walnuts just incase it matters.

1/2 Avocado each daily in my salad.

Mixed greens salad. I've ate salads many times but not on a daily basis.

Let me know which foods you think might be worth testing. Thanks........

Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Need Help with Food Elimination

If you are tested for food allergies they will test the basic groups as well as specific known triggers. Nuts are a biggie. Wheat. Acids common in straberries and other fruits and veggies. Milk. Anything can be a trigger it is specific to you.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

well, allergies aside for a moment - avocados and nuts are full of fat - some say fat is a no-no for reflux. blueberries are acidic. oatmeal is on the list of acid forming foods. salad greens are fine, but do you use a high fat salad dressing? milk/dairy causes reflux in many people - is there milk in the salad dressing or do you use milk on your oatmeal? you may or may not be allergic, but - what did you used to eat? was it alot of fatty and acidic foods too? its probably more likely your diet than true food allergies.

Last edited by snowflake11; 04-11-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Ok I guess a little more information is called for. I went from eating a very poor diet eating lots of greasy fast food, red meats, fried foods, pasta and washed all this junk down with lots of diet soda. I had no problems with reflux or stomach pain. I switch to a diet of lean meats, fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, a bit of lowfat milk and cottage cheese and whole grains, a month or so later I had upper abdominal pain severe enough I thought I might be having a Heart Attack. The problem was kinda hit and miss for several months and I thought it was probably muscle pain since it would usually come on a day or so after doing some type of work that involved my upper body. After a couple of days of taking it easy I usually felt better and then I would do something and the cycle would repeat. Finally it progressed to point taking it easy didn't seem to clear up the problem. Thats when I began to believe the problem might be an ulcer or reflux. Since the only major change was my diet I began to wonder if there could be some food that I've added that may be the culprit.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Your story sounds alot like my life. I had a cholesterol test done about a year ago and was told it was high and to change my diet and to exercise more. I work at a semi fast food resturaunt where i ate at daily and ate alot of greasy food, tons of sweets and hardly any grains or vegtables. I quit eating all the so called bad stuff and started eating oatmeal, wheat toast, more veggies and fruits and then it seemed more problems started. I was filled with gas and the burning in my throat feeling started. I never once experienced any of this while eating a crappy diet. I gave up the wheat bread and i do not get as bloated now. I notice now that there are certain foods that i cant eat cause they cause alot of problems that never use to. I want to eat healthy but it seems the healthier stuff i eat the more stomach/acid problems i have.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

red, i noticed that you say now you are eating some milk and cottage cheese - did you used to eat dairy? could you be lactose intolerant? in any case, it would seem like a drastic change in diet might upset your system in the beginning. maybe give it awhile until your body gets used to it? in the meantime - throw back in a few "bad" foods and see if you feel better.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Okay basid on everyones input I think I'm going with the Nuts, Oats, Blueberries and Avocado for two weeks. I think these are foods that I added or increased about a week or two before the problem started. Today I did do a little better but it's possible that the benifit could be due to the Protonix or it could just be a fluke. This is the sixth day on Protonix and I understand it can take up to a week to get the acid down. I also think I'll start adding some lean beef to my diet. I've been eating fish and chicken almost exclusively for the last 4 or 5 months. The few times I've eaten a steak or burger I have felt better for a few days anyway.

confused32
A few others have comment that they also had this problem crop up after going to a low fat diet. It seems to go against the grain of conventional wisdom but it appears that our experience may not be as uncommon as I thought. That being the case there must be some logical explaination. We just need to find someone who can help us solve the puzzle. I'm thinking of starting a new thread and see what we can come up with since the Medical professionals I've seen dont seem to know.

Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

hmm, could reflux be related to cholesterol levels? like maybe you lowered your cholesterol- below what you need with the new diet - and so eating meat helps to raise it again and you feel better? maybe that's the problem with low fat diets causing reflux for some people here - the cholesterol gets too low, or lower than their body needs? maybe it is related to the gallbladder or liver then? i know on the scd you can eat alot of fats and meats and stuff and that diet cures reflux for some. just guessing.......

Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Red-It seems that since i started this new way of eating more foods that i use to be able to eat bother me now though. For example, french fries and burgers, i use to eat ALOT of these before getting my cholesterol checked. I quit for about 6 months and now when i eat either of those i get HORRIBLE acid reflux and it last for about 2 days. Then there is my problem now with oatmeal....i was eating oatmeal 1-2 times a day for about 4 months i noticed a few weeks ago that after eating it on 2 different occasions that i started having breathing issues, it felt almost as if i had asthma. I didnt eat it for the next few days and the breathing issues were gone. I do not know what the heck is going on with my body. Its to the point where im scared to eat anything anymore.

Snowflake- I go for my next blood test in a few days. I definatly want to see how much my numbers are down and maybe that could be playing a role in all of this. I am stumped!!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

yeah let us know - its just a theory i toss out there - i'm grasping at straws like we all are. doctors seem to have little concern for causes - just seem to want to mask the symptoms. its such a big confusing mystery. heck maybe it has to do with fluctuating blood pressure for all i know. but SOMEBODY should be doing extensive research on CAUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are the scientists?????? - they should be reading this board!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Need Help with Food Elimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake11 View Post
doctors seem to have little concern for causes - just seem to want to mask the symptoms. its such a big confusing mystery. heck maybe it has to do with fluctuating blood pressure for all i know. but SOMEBODY should be doing extensive research on CAUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are the scientists?????? - they should be reading this board!!!!!!!!!!!!
Snowflake I'll second that!!!!!!!!!

I read an anology of western med on a different site. It went something like this. If you had a house with a leaky roof and called in a team of Doctors. They would first have determine that it was water that was dripping to the floor then they would have to figure out how may drips per hour were comming from each point in the ceiling that was leaking. After that they would then need to determine what size and type of buckets where required to catch the water for given time period and have someone assigned change out the buckets at a set time inerval. As long as the floor had no water puddles they would feel they have done their job and just continue to monitor the floor to make sure they did not need to add more or bigger buckets to contain the water. They would continue to do this untill the ceiling colapsed and the roof totally rotted out.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Personally I'm not 100% sure I have reflux. I know I have upper abdominal pain that so far I can't expain. The Dr. has done no testing at all. He basicly threw me a coulple sample packs of Protonix and said to see if it help. Did it help? Well I'm not sure....... maybe some, but it did not eliminate all the pain. I really would like to know for sure. I've got an appoint for Mon at 8AM with his PA and I'm going to push for some action to be taken this time. I've been in and out of his office 5 times in the last 5 months so this has been going on long enough.

I'll throw out my .02 on the cholesteral low fat diet and the reflux or somach pain. I've got two different theories. Probably neither one has any merit but it's the best I can come up with and I'm more than ready for a Dr to prove me wrong and tell me the correct answer.

I think nerves may play a part in all this. Possibly being told your cholesteral is very high starts the problem. Were I work the average age of the workforce is almost Fifty. So I know a number of people who have recently had Heart Attacks , several I know have died in the last year. A few of them in their very early 50s just a few years older than myself. After doing some reseach I knew I didn't want to use the statin meds to lower the cholesteral and I also knew that I was unlikely to be able to lower it to the levels the Dr wanted with diet.I really got wrapped up in the diet and everything and possibly stressed myself out which may have set me up for the stomach troubles I'm now experiencing.

The other theory: According to some reading I've done: Most people actually have some reflux each day. Most howerver do not have any problems associated with the reflux other than an episode of hearburn every once in a while. The medical community isn't entirely sure of why this occurs but most believe it has to do with the composition of the gastric juices. I guess that differnent foods should use different enzymes, acid and bile combinations and each persons system is probably somewhat unique in the exact ratio the digestive system produces. What if your system only produced one mixture regardless of what you've eaten. Say you've ate a small light meal of vegetables or fruit and the stomach ends up with a load of acids that's sized for a large T-Bone meal with all the trimmings. You keep doing this 5 or 6 times per day with nothing but a very small meal in your belly. Would this lead to some problems?

Old 04-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

hi red, those are interesting theories. please do let us know what your doctor has to say. I have been told by two different GIs that I don't have reflux either - one did the bravo capsule test and one did the old fashioned tube down the throat test. both negative. so if its not reflux causing the burning above my belly button then I agreed with you - it must be nerve related. so i saw a neurologist - without any answers from her either. but could we have sensiive nerves for some reason? fibromyalgia is about nerve pain - do we have that in our stomach? or is it a deficiency in some vitamin or hormone? your theory about gastric juices also makes sense except that somedays i eat the exact same meal and one day it bothers me and one it doesn't. i truly feel like someone is playing a cruel practical joke on us - almost like someone is sticking pins in a voodoo doll with our name on it. give your doctor the third degree and demand answers - tell him to read this board please and get back to you!

Old 04-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Snowflake, well the doc's Pa set me up to get a upper GI tomorrow morning. I've been feeling pretty decent for 4 days now hopefully the trend will continue. Most of the alt med bunch believe that these types of conditions are related of improper mineral and vitamin absorbtion. I read a very interesting article the other day on a fibromyalgia site as a matter of fact. The article was titled "Thoughts on Acid Reflux" if you search the net you should be able to locate it. This group is specific to Fibro and goes by the name of Temple Health Maintance Institute.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:50 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Speaking of food elimination, I am working on that right now. I found out I was lactose intolerant so I've now eliminated lactose from my diet (going on 7 days now). So far it has not had any effect at all. I even take lactose pills when not eating lactose known foods just in case theirs hidden lactose. Total effect - No effect at all. Starting tomorrow I will eliminate even lactose free milk which I drink, just in case it's milk in general but I don't hold out much hope. Next elimination will be tougher, Wheat. Thats in everything. I'll start that next week sometime.

Closed Thread