It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Chew your food

I've blamed my acid reflux on a few things (antibiotics, stress) but after talking to others who have the same thing there was another thing we all had in common. All of us rarely chewed our food, we all rushed or ate in big giant bites. When my reflux started (it started slowly with just belching) I was having a tooth problem that caused me to eat on only one side for about 4 months. Therefore I swallowed my food in big chunks. I'm sure this contributed to overloading my stomach and causing reflux. In fact the first time my reflux came up into my mouth I ate a giant meal that I chewed very little before swallowing. So chew your food. I think our reflux is caused by a digestion problem. My reflux only comes at night when I sleep, I also notice I have a ton of gas in my stomach when I sleep so I figure it's pushing up on my stomach and actually shooting the acid up into my throat (that would explain the acid defying gravity since I sleep on an incline).
An example is I ate chicken noodle soup yesterday, the noodles are known to be hard to digest (in fact it says it on package). My side, below my right rib was really hurting afterward (and no it's not GB, I don't have one). I'll bet one type of food is really causing my reflux from going away, I just can't find which one it is and everytime I try an elimination diet I can't stay on it for a day or two.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
(female)

snowflake11 HB User
Re: Chew your food

hi neddy, i hate to throw a wrench in your chewing theory but i chew my food very thoroughly and i eat very slowly. i have been having alot of stomach pain just above my belly button - in that hollow area between my ribs. it feels like something is gnawing away in there. i am going for a second opinion next friday. my old gastro doc seems to have made things worse - ever since that bravo capsule. that's when this upper stomach pain started - i am wondering if i have scar tissue or a sore from that capsule. it sure hurt like the dickens when it was in, i'll tell ya. the results were negative for reflux so what is this pain?????????????? sigh. the test was 2 months ago!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Yeah I have to admit I'm looking for a needle in a haystack. I did find out I was lactose intolerent. Not sure if that has anything to do with acid reflux.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

yeah i hear you. i'm looking for that needle too - it feels like it's sitting above my stomach and stabbing me. funny thing is - i don't ever remember swallowing it!! lol - not!

Closed Thread