It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
(male)

jj9500 HB User
Scared of Heart Problems or Pancreas Problems.

I get these squeezing pains that begin in the upper stomach where the rib cage meets at the bottom. It is a squeezing sensation. Sometimes effects the back between the shoulders. When I bend over slightly it sometimes forces acidy bile up my throat - regurgitates food at times. Sometimes these episodes last 20 minutes - sometimes hours. Is this GERD? I've been off and on different PPIs for ever - sometimes it even happens when I am on protonix. It feels like I'm having a heart attack. Last October I even had a stress test done and they said my heart was fine (mom had bypass surgery and thought I better get checked out due to these chest pain episodes in the event the artery issue mom had is hereditery). My gallbladder was removed in 2004. Seems like they occure an hour or two after I eat. But, sometimes out of the blue. I am a big coffee drinker and have a very hard time breaking that habit. I am puzzeled by what causes that SCARY chest pressure? Any clues? Is this all GERD? I have been on Protonix. My doc said there is something over the counter I could try that is similar. it began with a P. Would that be PRILOSEC? Thanks

Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Scared of Heart Problems or Pancreas Problems.

Gerd does cause chest pain it normally occures when you medication is neutralizing excess stomach acid and generating gas as a result..

The main OTC prescriptions for Acid reflux are Tagment HB and Prilosec. If you haven't had a heart screening or been to a GI then you should atleast go for a consulation and work up. This will give you peace of mind and help rule out any odd reactions you may be having.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Hi All...I have been to the Cardiologist and had all of the tests, echocardiogram, EKG, and Nuclear Stress Test, the doc said I was fine. But I have to say that when my chest starts hurting, burning in my stomach and esophogus and it goes to my jaw or into my back it really freaks me out, and the burping is terrible. I seems to happen every afternoon...I can't decide if my anxiety over the whole thing causes the GERD to react or if the GERD causes the anxiety. My PCP put me on Prevacid and I have been taking it for a week tomorrow. I am also going to the Gastro Doc on April 30 hoping that I can find some answers.
Anyway, If anyone finds help, let me know!
CrazyLife

Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

My husband went through the same thing. He was getting chest pains and, considering his famly history (dad had his *first* heart attack at age 38), we made darn sure to get it checked out. Stress test, heart cath, the whole 9 yards and he was fine. Turned out it was GERD. Dr put him on Pepcid and he's, more or less, fine now.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
(male)

Paulk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj9500 View Post
I get these squeezing pains that begin in the upper stomach where the rib cage meets at the bottom. It is a squeezing sensation. Sometimes effects the back between the shoulders. I am puzzeled by what causes that SCARY chest pressure? Any clues? Is this all GERD? I have been on Protonix. My doc said there is something over the counter I could try that is similar. it began with a P. Would that be PRILOSEC? Thanks
JJ,
I get the similar squeezing pains in the upper stomach. Pain also at the bottom of the ribcage, on both left and right sides especially on the sides. Sometimes burning in the stomach area, mostly upper and also chest pains. I am on Nexium40mg once a day. Got all the heart related tests like Nuclear Stress, EKG done and everything is normal. Got all the blood tests done and everything seems to be normal. Also got the Endoscopy done and the Doc said that I have slight Hiatal Hernia. I am also not sure about the pains that I get!!! Let me know if you find anything and Good Luck...

Old 04-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

Somnambulist HB User

I am SO scared of heart problems, I have had so many ekg's and a couple of holters and ten yrs ago I had an echo and I have been to the ER so many times had enzyme workups and EKG's and God knows what and in the 18 years I have been suffering from GERD and IBS, it has never once been my heart. Does that stop me from panicking? NO. This week I have had excess phlegm, not eating, not sleeping, worrying about family and work and love life stuff, anxiety up the wazoo. I have been feeling out of breath, dizzy exhausted. Can't lift a finger without getting winded. Wentto doc had EKG. I think I'm anemic. Pressure and pain in top of stomach, feels like it is pushing my diaphragm up into my chest...hard to feel like I cna get breath all the way in. Keep taking deep breaths, yawning. SoOOOOO tired. burning in throat. tender stomach every day for past week. I got so winded walkingto the store I thought I'd die. Was not wheezing, just have heart beating so HARD and makingme exhausted. Doc said to take a Xanax so I did. I mean just had EKG normal today, she said could go to er but they'd just do one there and I've been there enough times that I know if they don't see a heart attack they send you home with Protonix and give maalox. Been there done thatbut ithas never been so heavy heart short of breath before. Only mildly before but now I lay in bed and justdon't wanna move.

My blood pressure is GREAT and when I check my heart rate it's like 69-73 so it isn't going real fast and when it does go fast it's only going in the 80's. it just feels AWFUL!!!!

Doc says my GERD is affecting vagus nerve.

JJ I have that squeezing right in middle of check just where the ribs meet, at the top of my stomach. I todl doc it felt like it was squeezing off my esophagus or something. Keep taking deepbreaths.

*cries*

Last edited by Somnambulist; 04-16-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

{snowflake hands somnambulist a kleenex} - don't cry - hang in there. i too, have had my share of tears over all this. its so hard when you've been living life happily and then one day just out of the blue, things change. how and why this all starts is such a mystery - all i know is that it makes alot of us cry too. i am going friday for a second opinion from another GI. hopefully he will be more understanding and have some other options besides ppi's. have you had blood work done? - perhaps there is stuff compounding your problems like high calcium level or low iron causing fatigue? i wish i had something more to give you than a kleenex, but I do offer my support. keep the faith. our bodies can and do heal.

Closed Thread