It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User
Unhappy Taking prevacid- drug interaction?

First off, I've been taking Prevacid since the 9th of this month. I have yet to see the doctor, because there are no openings. However, based on my symptoms (gnawing in upper stomach, spasms, bloating there, etc) she put me on 30 mg a day. I let her her office know that I was taking Topamax (for nerve pain), in case there would be a problem with drug interaction. I was told they would call back if there was a problem, otherwise, the med would be waiting for me at the pharmacy.

I have been taking the Prevacid between 11am-noon, and then my Topamax at night, just before bed. All seemed ok until last night. Right after I took my Topamax, the right side of my ribs- the side, and around to my back- has been hurting me. (Isn't this where my liver is?) Is it possible that if it is a drug interaction, that it would take a few days before my body would freak out?

Any thoughts?

Old 04-15-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Taking prevacid- drug interaction?

It may be a drug interaction or it may be a side effect of the topamax (which shouldn't be prescribed if there is an existing liver problem). Side effects can occur at any time. Refer to your drug information sheet (or check with the pharmacist) for more info on side effects (because your doctor may not be aware of the info your pharmacist is aware of) and report this to your doctor asap.

Bsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
It may be a drug interaction or it may be a side effect of the topamax (which shouldn't be prescribed if there is an existing liver problem). Side effects can occur at any time. Refer to your drug information sheet (or check with the pharmacist) for more info on side effects (because your doctor may not be aware of the info your pharmacist is aware of) and report this to your doctor asap.

Bsheba

I did see on one website, what you were just saying about Topamax.. of course I don't know if I have an existing liver problem, and apparently my Neuro doesn't either. LOL I did call the regular dr's office, and spoke with the dr on-call. He said that it's most likely the Topamax as well, and to go back down to the 25mg. I'll be seeing my Neuro on Wednes for a regular follow-up. I'm going to tell her I'm done with this med. (This is the second attempt I've given to taking the 50mg dose I'm prescribed for, and dealt with some wierd problem 2-3 days out. Only last time, the whole family ended up with the flu, so my neuro just assumed that's what I had- not any side effects).

Old 04-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
(female)

Shirley M HB User

You should not take Prevacid if you have any kind of Liver problems. I don't know if you have Liver problems but I would ask to be checked for it. My husband has Liver problems and they told him no Proton Pump Inhibitors (Prevacid) should be used.
Hugs Shirley

Closed Thread