It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
(male)

scott1360 HB User
Stopping PPI cold turkey...

for one week until I have the impedence test. Today was my first day not taking a PPI in probably 5 years (save a few days I forgot it). Im really nervous Im gonna start to feel awful which obviously doesn't help. I need support to make it through the week!

Old 04-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
(female)

snowflake11 HB User
Re: Stopping PPI cold turkey...

scott, like i said before, you may be pleasantly surprised that you don't need ppi's anymore. think positive my friend!!! Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
(male)

scott1360 HB User

well, not even a day in and Im feeling a very bad burning sensation in my stomach and chest. Also, lots of heartburn and burping. Can I already be having rebound acid? I thought it takes a few days to lower the level of PPI in the blood?!?!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

hmm, yes, i think its probably rebound. you may feel worse for a little while and it may take a few days for your system to settle down. it's gotten used to being suppressed, but should rebalance. in the meantime, try eating some extra salad greens and try taking some calcium pills - they help buffer acid, but take them with food. i sure wish you wellness. let us know how it goes.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
(male)

scott1360 HB User

thanks for the advice snowflake. 3rd day off of PPIs here and my stomach still feels really raw and burns especially when I eat. Its definitely not used to having this much acid production! I hope I can make it 4 more days until my test. I just want to be able to eat normal foods so the test has accuracte results. I may have to force myself to eat.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

hi scott, i wonder if it really matters for the test if you eat 'normal' foods or not - the point is to pick up reflux. and reflux shouldn't be happening no matter what you eat.

in my case, i had the bravo capsule and my throat and esophagus were on fire the whole 48 hours of the test. i was certain i had a huge problem with acid but then the results showed NO reflux. in my case its still a mystery, but i suspect some sort of nerve thing. it will be interesting to know if your burning is really from acid or a weird nerve sensitivity like me. also i had two manometry tests and the first showed my LES was too tight (like double what it should be) and the second showed that it was too loose. SO - what to make of that??? the doc wanted to dilate my esophagus the first time and i told him i wanted to make sure of the results first and that i wanted to have the test repeated. so he did and I'm glad I asked for it. anyhow, my point is that all kinds of weird things go on and we shouldn't be too quick to jump into meds or procedures. give your body awhile to rest from all the foreign 'solutions' and hopefully it will regulate itself back to health. you're doing good.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
(male)

scott1360 HB User

day 7 off of PPIs cold turkey and so much burn! The chest pain I had lately on PPIs has been replaced by just bad, typical "heartburn". My throat is also getting sore. I hate this. Not sure which pain is worse though, on or off PPIs

Old 04-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

oh i'm sorry - but 7 days is still only 7 days - it may take quite awhile to balance out. keep the faith. keep affirming health - your body is listening.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I've been off antacids of any kind for 2 weeks. First 7 days were horrible. Right now I'm back at the point I was when I was taking H2's every day. Only now I don't have those horrible dreams I had when I was taking Pepcid Complete every day. I can now go to sleep knowing I will probably not dream, and if I do it won't be Friday the 13th.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1360 View Post
day 7 off of PPIs cold turkey and so much burn! The chest pain I had lately on PPIs has been replaced by just bad, typical "heartburn". My throat is also getting sore. I hate this. Not sure which pain is worse though, on or off PPIs
I am just the same. I feel terrible on the ppi's and even worse off them. I have the manometry and 24 hr ph test in the morning.
I didn't sleep a wink last night for pain in chest (heartburn and severe almost colic pain in chest) Won't sleep tonight for FEAR of morning (((((((

Closed Thread