It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Speed up digestion?

Doesn't this make sense? It seems like most of us on this board are very stressed out people. Either with regular stress or anxiety. Having either of these for long periods of time slow down digestion. Your brain wires your digestion system to slow down over and over again it must get stuck in a permanent slowdown. A friend of mine is now 2 months reflux free, all he did differently was start exercising alot (about 45 minutes a day) and not eating anything after 7PM. Acid reflux tends to be worse when we exercise, maybe thats why we all stopped when we got it (if we were doing it at all) and all it did was make our digestion system go slower. I've been exercising for a week and have stopped my Pepcid complete. So far not doing good, probably caused by rebound effect of leaving pepcid after 5 months. If my reflux gets bad during exercise I take a couple rolaids but usually just drink water. I'll let you know how this goes (haven't I said that before like 100 times?). Wouldn't that be cool if exercise could defeat the reflux? (or should I come back to Planet Earth now?)

Old 04-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Speed up digestion?

Neddy, I think you are correct. It's that food is not digested properly and remains in the stomach far to long. I would bet some people may have nearly a days worth of food in their stomach by the time they lay down to sleep. Anything that can be done to speed up the digestive process and get the stomach to empty would likely be benifical. I imagine that the problem experience when exercising is the extra pressure put on the stomach possibly causing some reflux. What kind of exercise or you doing? Walking? I do know that exercising really lowers stress for me and that probably helps a lot with these problems too. Another possibliliy may be to use a FIR Sauna. I'm a little skeptical about the claims for these but maybe there is really something to it. If there is anything to the hype about this treatment they would be great for gerds patients since they could speed up the bodies metabolism without any movement to shake up the stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

well, exercise relieves stress - if stress causes reflux, then exercise could help reflux. it makes sense. also the benefit of speeding up digestion. not to mention all the other benefits to the rest of the body. do some laps for me Neddy!

and hang in there without the pepcid - i think its smart to stop all the acid meds because i don't think they fix anything. may even make things worse. just my philosophy. sounds like you're on a good path.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

This is my 3rd day without the Pepcid and I've been exercising for about a week. I'm up to 30 minutes on the elliptical. I try to do it before dinner. So far I've been getting bad reflux even in the daytime which I don't normally get but I still think its from rebound effect. Since I read it takes 10 days for acid to go back to normal I'll wait it out.

Closed Thread