It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

BERRYJ HB User
I'm I alone

Hello everyone . I would like to know does anyone elses acid reflux feels like there something stuck in your throat? I'm protonix40mg two a day. My acid reflux does'nt bother me every day just hit me on spells for says at a time then go away . I have took prevacid30mg sometime it works sometimes it does'nt. I went as far as taken a esophagel manometry test( a small tube that runs down your throat for 24 hours to test ph in your stomach)which did'nt come out good,by the time they got the tube half way I start gaging and pull it out. I just want to know was I the only one that had that same symtoms, like a lump in your throat.

help:

Old 04-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
(male)

scott1360 HB User
Re: I'm I alone

Hey there and welcome. YOu are not alone. YOu will find many people on this board with the same symptoms. Just look through the posts. I think, however, if your doctor recommends having the 24 ph test you should try to go back in and do it again. I had the manometry and will be having the catheter based ph test next Thursday and I know its awfully uncomfortable but it gives the doc valuable diagnostic information. I just think about how it will be over soon the entire time. The gagging feeling will pass.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Nope before protonix.. then nexium. Felt like I had a continual lump in my throat. Now it is better, but it still happens on occasion.

Respectfully,
MG

Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
(female)

ssborrow HB User

Yes, I have had that feeling of a lump in my throat. It sucks.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I too had the lump feeling. I think it's a fairly common complaint with acid reflux probelms. And as far as the 24 hour manometry test....I hated it. I had the worst time with it cause everytime I swallowed or chewed food, the tube would move and cause my nose to start bleeding. But I managed to keep it in for 11 hours, then pulled it out. My dr said just to try and keep it in for as long as possible, and eat the foods that trigger my reflux so they could have that to look at. And the ph test wasn't too bad. It lasted about 30ish minutes. Pretty uncomfortable, but I was laying on a bed and just closed my eyes and thought of anything else but a tube going through my nose.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
(male)

scott1360 HB User

oh no Andilyn. Dont tell me that! I'm having the 24 impedence test (with tube down nose) on Thursday and I didn't want to read any bad experiences! haha, its ok though you are being honest. I had the manometry and although it was uncomfortable I didnt really mind it. Im hoping I can keep this one in for a full 24 hours! I've been off PPIs for 3 days so far(7 days total until the test) and so far my stomach just feels real raw like its not used to all this new acid production.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1360 View Post
oh no Andilyn. Dont tell me that! I'm having the 24 impedence test (with tube down nose) on Thursday and I didn't want to read any bad experiences! haha, its ok though you are being honest. I had the manometry and although it was uncomfortable I didnt really mind it. Im hoping I can keep this one in for a full 24 hours! I've been off PPIs for 3 days so far(7 days total until the test) and so far my stomach just feels real raw like its not used to all this new acid production.
Let us know how you go on! I have these tests at the end of this month and I'm dreading them. I had the endoscopy awake and it was awful, so

Old 04-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

Sorry about that Scott...didn't mean to give you bad thoughts about the 24 hour test, lol. But in hindsight, I am glad that I kept it in as long as I could, I really needed to have it done so they could see the results. Good luck with it, maybe you'll do better than I did. My dr told me though that he doesn't see too many people have problems with it. So maybe you'll be one of those. You'll have to post about it after you have it done.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
(male)

scott1360 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andilyn View Post
Sorry about that Scott...didn't mean to give you bad thoughts about the 24 hour test, lol. But in hindsight, I am glad that I kept it in as long as I could, I really needed to have it done so they could see the results. Good luck with it, maybe you'll do better than I did. My dr told me though that he doesn't see too many people have problems with it. So maybe you'll be one of those. You'll have to post about it after you have it done.
Well now I do have another question for you. They had to reschedule my appointment as they only have one set of the equiptment and now I'm scheduled for Friday (couldn't wait two more weeks). Only drawback of this is they said I would need to pull it out myself on Saturday morning. I know you had problems and eventually did it pull it out yourself but Im scared about doing that? Is it hard to pull out or does it just come right out? I dont want to damage myself taking it out. Did it hurt (pull it out real fast like a bandaid?)?

Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

Hi Scott...
It didn't hurt to pull it out, it just felt weird. I just took it and pulled quickly, but not too fast, and it came right out. Again though, it was such a weird sensation. But once it was out, it felt so good. And I didn't have any pain after I took it out, just a slight runny/bloody nose for a few minutes. It did take me a minute to get brave enough to do it though. But I just closed my eyes and did it, and it took all of about 30 seconds, if that. It's one of those mind things...you just gotta tell yourself you'll be ok, and then go for it. But really, you'll be fine taking it out, it's just slightly uncomfortable and weird for a few seconds. And it's weird when they put it in too, just that strange feeling of something going through your nose down your throat. But you'll do good with taking it out. Especially if it's getting uncomfortable, you'll probably want it out now.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
(male)

scott1360 HB User

hmm, interesting about the nose bleeds. I wonder if there is a way to minimize that risk for me. I think Ill use saline nose drops every hour and maybe run a shower to put humidity into my apartment during the test.

Closed Thread