It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Reflux after drinking water?

I find that sometimes after eating, if I'm drinking water then the water comes back up like it does with some of the other stuff that I eat?

I have 20mg omeperazole that I'm taking at night before bed, but honestly I don't think it's working. I think I had better luck with Nexium.

First of all, does anyone else have that problem with water? And secondly, what are you guys taking for your reflux that actually helps? I'm getting tired of waking up in the middleof the night with reflux. I end up with a mouthful of the stuff makes me feel really nauseated. And sometimes it chokes me so I start coughing and it wakes me up.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Reflux after drinking water?

Yes... water gives me Gerd central. Did Protonix.. now doing Nexium. Both worked, but Nexium is cheaper.
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
(female)

Laura51 HB User

I have the same problem. I am on Prilosec OTC because my insurance doesn't pay for the good stuff and I can't afford paying up to $150 for one med for one month. I have to sleep with my head elevated with a wedge or I have everything come up.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Just remember that the basic problem is simply that the sphincter isn't closing properly.

Anything can come back up.

It isn't really about triggers (only chocolate and peppermint are noted as causing sphincter problems), but just that the "wall" (sphincter) has a breach in it and anything can come through when it's open.

Yes, I often feel with my "throat burps" the water as well as anything come back up. I'm amazed how I often feel the COLD of the water after it hits my throat again! Throat was warm after the swallow, then burp, then cold again!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Isn't it amazing how painful simple water can be? I have to force myself to drink it. Milk is far more soothing, but some feel that it makes stomach trouble worse I used to love to chug back a glass of water when thirsty: if I did that now I'd be sick, and if by accident I do sip too fast, then it hurts like I imagine severe heart pain would. Gah!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

Wow, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I thought I was like a freak or something because I'd never heard of anyone else having reflux from drinking water.

If I can get the nexium from my doctor, I think I'm going to go back on that. It did help. But since it got better, I quit taking it. Then she put me on omeprazole 20mg and that just doesn't seem to be doing .... well... anything!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I am taking Prevacid. I think the solutab works better than the pills. I have ben using samples, and ran out of the solutab, and was given pills the second time, and it doesn't seem to work as much. Yeah, water gives me heartburn as well. I hate the random chest pains that aren't heartburn, but hey squeeze the chest. That happens all the time when I drink anything. I have been on several medications, including Nexium, Protonix, omeprazole (which I believe is Prilosec), Aciphex, and now on Prevacid. At some points I was taking more than one prescription at a time. Not sure exactly what was goig on, but I know it was not fun at all. Uggh. But it seems to be better now.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
(male)

dallen4 HB User

I'm guessing on this but have you ever been checked for Barrett's Esophagus? Barrett's means the bottom of your esophagus is always open allowing food or liquids to "come back up easily". I was wondering because a clear, light liquid like water could easily come back up easier through the esophagus. I've had reflux for 10 years and water has always been worse on me than milk or orange juice. I have Barrett's and I'd rather drink water more than anything, but only so much water is ok. I've always taken my meds in the morning and I can't eat or drink too much at night or the meds are less effective. I know all the reflux medicines say take with a meal or just take one a day...but if you don't take the med on an empty stomach, they won't work right.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I had an endoscopy done and it didn't show it.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
(female)

Boogs66 HB User

Wow! Nice to see someone else is having the same problems as I!! What a relief. I have been going from dr. to dr. First they thought I had Cyclic Vominting Syndrome (CVS) Now the latest is NERD. I never get the burning sensation, but always feel fluid and or food in my esophogus, which most often causes mouthfuls or food or beverage. Ick! Been on a bunch of meds. So now I am on Aciphex, a super high dose. It didn't fix me, still happens at least one time at every meal. Better than the 10 or so times it normally happens per meal. Any one else have it so badly? Any sugestions cause I have one more round of meds to try before they take more about gastric wrap surgery.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
(female)

chime80200 HB User

I got really sick in early January. Either with the flu or something else but regardless, ever since then I've had symptoms of reflux. I seem to be the kind though that gets nausea rather than heartburn but still a lot of regurgitation. I agree, water tends to come back up the most. It's awful. I'll admit though that anything carbonated (especially diet coke) is worse. It burns! It can be embarassing though because sometimes you can foresee a 'throat burp' as someone phrased it (and I find it suiting) and sometimes you can't so it'll happen at work in front of people. Not a fan of that. Anyway, the nausea is what led me to keep going from dr. to dr. He thinks it's probably reflux but he's still having me do a few different tests. Just had a fluoroscopy done (basically, upper GI X-ray) and haven't yet heard the results from that. I am, however, on protonix. It seems to have helped with some of the nausea somehow but I'm still having the regurgitation and belching (more often than not unexpected and embarassing as well). So, I have to keep going back. It's nice to hear though that it's not so uncommon and seem to be quite of a few options.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
(female)

margie68 HB User

I was miserable with fluid coming back into my throat while I tried to sleep at night and, silly me, didn't realize it was from water I was drinking at night. I stopped drinking the water after dinner...I just take small sips if I need it...and my nighttime reflux has decreased a lot.

I am so thankful for finding this board. I thought I was the only one suffering from this too.

Closed Thread