It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
How do you control Non-Acid Reflux?

According to an edoscopy I had done 6 months ago the GI put down I had Bile reflux... That makes me wonder if the PPI's would even work for that??? He said I had no acid reflux. My breathing and throat is not getting better and I wonder if it's because I am treating this wrong.
How do I get rid of Bile reflux?
ANyone else with a similar problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User
Re: How do you control Non-Acid Reflux?

Hi alex, I hope someone can answer this! I have a constant bitter, bitter taste despite being on high doses of Nexium and Ranitidine. Almost one year now of worsening symptoms. I have to come off the meds because I have the dreaded manometry/24 hour proby blinking whotsit/torture tests at the end of this month :-(

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
(male)

scott1360 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex12 View Post
According to an edoscopy I had done 6 months ago the GI put down I had Bile reflux... That makes me wonder if the PPI's would even work for that??? He said I had no acid reflux. My breathing and throat is not getting better and I wonder if it's because I am treating this wrong.
How do I get rid of Bile reflux?
ANyone else with a similar problem?
Other than the normal lifestlye modifications, anti-reflux surgery is effective at helping both acid and non-acid reflux. There is no medicine to date that is effective at stopping non-acid reflux as its mainly a mechanical problem (weak LES). Any medicine would just change the actual makeup of the reflux but not the problem itself. Some doctors use prokinectic agents to strengthen and correct perastalsis problems (Reglan, Domperidone, etc.). Im having the same problems here so Im with you. Has your doctor recommended an impedence test to make sure your symptoms corrolate to reflux events (acid or non-acid)?

Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Does an endoscopy always show up a weak LES? What is the main test for weak LES?
Kim

Old 04-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
(male)

scott1360 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~K~ View Post
Does an endoscopy always show up a weak LES? What is the main test for weak LES?
Kim
The main definitive test to determine LES pressure is a manometry test(pressure sensing tube passed down the nose into the esophagus). Not fun but it is very useful. Although, I've heard of people having different results between different tests as many factors can affect LES pressure and peristalsis.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

It's odd because teh endoscopy said motility disorder but manometry said none. I jsut don't get it...all t hese tests give different results!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
(female)

snowflake11 HB User

yes - same with me - all the tests give diff results - even the two manometry tests i had were polar opposites - one said LES way WAY too tight - the next one showed it was too loose, and the upper was too tight!!! I have given up on tests.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Scott thanks for info, I have this test on Monday, but reading these differing results makes me feel like chickening out

Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I was told I had "bile reflux" from my early-on endoscopy. And I sure had trouble getting over irritation in stomach and throat and in between with even double-dosage Nexium. Maybe it is the bile.

As far as the real tests (endoscopy isn't a "test", it's an observation), I would take them if you can. They can help pin it down. Although, they don't seem to be quite as definitive as they are claimed to be. So don't take the results as gospel until you've had many facts together.

Think about it: if you read around medical stuff, you'll find that the MOST COMMON form of true GERD is "TRANSIENT" LES failure. It's intermittant. That is not something likely to always be caught when doing a test, including manometry.

Meanwhile, if you're "lucky", you can be the rarer GERD patient who has a totally weak and perpetually OPEN LES, meaning it never closes. More likely to catch this on tests, which is better for nailing it. But worse for you!

Again, this is really my surmising, not definite fact, but it sure looks that this is the fact to me!

But basically, given that info I've read, I'm not surprised many of us would have "transient results"!

Last edited by Ol'Line Rebel; 04-26-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
(female)

RIGIRL HB User

what kind of breathing issues do you get?

Closed Thread