It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 02:41 AM   #1
(male)

christopher1mil HB User
Surgery Costs in the US

Hi, I live in Australia, but I am getting pretty desperate with reflux. I am now taking 80 mgs of Somac (Protinix or Pantoprazole in the US) and I am still getting almost hourly reflux. Nexium was even worse. To complicate matters, I am an asthmatic and the reflux is playing havoc with that. Hence my questions about the costs of surgery in the States .....

In Australia, the surgery (fundoplication) will cost in excess of 20000 Aust dollars
In Thailand, I received a quote for $15000 Aust dollars
How does this compare with costs in the States?
I have taken out private insurance in Aust, but will not be able to use it for pre-existing conditions for another 10 months and I honestly believe I cannot wait that long. I am so depressed and hope someone can help me.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User
Re: Surgery Costs in the US

Have you done any research regarding an Alternative approach versus drugs and surgery? Have you consulted with a Nutritionist? I also suffered from Acid Reflux but no more. Did a major change in diet after reading an article about foods that I shouldn't be eating and foods that I should be eating and began taking a powerful Probiotic. Lots of information out there if you look for it. Drugs and Surgery should always be the last option.

Last edited by Mike In NY; 04-28-2007 at 04:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

Sorry, I am only interested in surgery now and want to avoid both medications and crackpot alternative strategies....But anyway, the question remains unanswered

Old 04-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
(male)

john00-us HB User

how old are you? if you don't mind.

surgery should be the last resort

Old 04-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

43. And why the last resort? Very little reseaarch has been done on the long term consequences of using PPIs, but what we do know is not good. Indeed, there is the strong likelihood that they are cancer causing. By way of contrast, surgery is supposed to be successful in over 90% of cases and has few complications (gas, might not be able to burp, vomit). In my case, the PPIs are not working anyway and to be quite frank I am sick of ludicrous diet suggestions which are mostly bogus for people who have a weak sphincter muscle. Again , I am following a gerd diet and it has done nothing to alleviate the symptoms.

So please, anyone what does surgery cost (laparoscopic fudoplication) cost in your great country?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:19 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

What Americans do know is that Health Care in the USA is the highest in the world. This is why many Americans leave the USA for medical care that's not covered by Insurance or who have no Insurance. Many go to Guadalajara or other cities in Mexico and to countries like Panama and Thailand. Mexico is especially popular since many Mexican Doctors/Surgeons are American trained. I've heard/read that Doctors/Surgeons/Hospitals in Mexico charge significantly less. I've heard this from Americans who live in Mexico on their message boards who mentioned $25 doctor visits and $300 a day for a hospital. This was about two years ago when I thought of living/retiring to Mexico. I mentioned Guadalajara since it has a very large mostly retired American/Canadian population who live in communities like Ajijic, Lake Chapala, San Miguel deAlende just outside of Guadalajara. If you can locate a message board in Mexico that Americans/Canadians use, post your message. You'll get far more realistic responses, prices and Medical contacts.

Last edited by Mike In NY; 04-30-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
What Americans do know is that Health Care in the USA is the highest in the world. This is why many Americans leave the USA for medical care that's not covered by Insurance or who have no Insurance. Many go to Guadalajara or other cities in Mexico and to countries like Panama and Thailand. Mexico is especially popular since many Mexican Doctors/Surgeons are American trained. I've heard/read that Doctors/Surgeons/Hospitals in Mexico charge significantly less. I've heard this from Americans who live in Mexico on their message boards who mentioned $25 doctor visits and $300 a day for a hospital. This was about two years ago when I thought of living/retiring to Mexico. I mentioned Guadalajara since it has a very large mostly retired American/Canadian population who live in communities like Ajijic, Lake Chapala, San Miguel deAlende just outside of Guadalajara. If you can locate a message board in Mexico that Americans/Canadians use, post your message. You'll get far more realistic responses, prices and Medical contacts.
Thanks. That's good information. I have also thought about Thailand and, in fact, the surgeon says that he was trained in Australia. That said, I would feel slightly more confident about fundoplication in a western country. Apparently, the success of the surgery is almost directly related to the surgeon's experience.
Anyway thanks again. I'll try and find the Mexican expats' forums that you mention.
You are fortunate that dietary changes helped you to overcome gerd.

I have also given a lot of thought to living in SE Asia or other cheaper countries after I retire so I suppose we have something in common. Good luck to you.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

When I was reviewing the Expat Forums many message were in regard to health care. I remember reading that Surgery was 50% to 70% less and hospitals 1/8th of those in the USA. I also remember being mentioned a Chain of American Owned Hospitals that were completely Bi-Lingual. On a different subject: a recently retired neighbor spent a month in Mexico getting dental implants. Was quoted $30,000 in the USA - spent $8,000 in Mexico and is very pleased with the outcome. Stayed at an American owned Bed & Breakfast for one month ($1500) plus $600 Airfare. Saved about $20,000 and enjoyed the visit. I have fully covered Medical & Dental but if I didn't I would investigate Mexico. The Lake Chapala Visitors Center is staffed by volunteer American/Canadians which is where I would begin. It's estimated 500,000 Americans (mostly retired) live in Mexico and for very good reasons and one is health care. Medical costs in the USA is absurd. Last year I had a colonoscopy and the doctor billed my insurance company $3600 for a 20 minute procedure which included $250 for a paper gown and slippers. Good Luck.

Closed Thread