It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User
Tube up nose as I sit here

I'm home and have the tube up my nose as I sit here for 24 hour ph test. It is lunch-time here in Uk and I think I will be pretty fed up with this by tomorrow, though so far not as bad as I feared (and I'm a big baby)
My nose is bleeding slightly and I keep having a tiny gag. I'm used to having rocks in my chest - so this has just added another to the base of my throat.
The manometry was uncomfortable, but not as bad as I had feared because I had the endoscopy with just throat spray and I would DETER people from having it that way...I want a bang on the head if there is a next time.
Thanks for 'listening'
Kim

Old 04-30-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
(female)

Laura51 HB User
Re: Tube up nose as I sit here

Good luck to you. I dread having a tube up my nose but I think it is going to happen soon. Especially if this h.pylori doesn't clear up. Please keep us updated on your tests.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Hi Laura, Thanks for replying! This forum is so slow I thought I'd be talking to myself for a good while! It is now mid-afternoon here and I have the biggest lump in throat feeling. I get the 'lumps' lower down usually, so I suppose this proves that the thin tube must be causing this sensation. Maybe in those of you who feel the lump at the base of your throat - it could be a similar feeling caused by mucous. The nose part isn't half as bad as I had feared, very slight - like the blocked feeling you get from a cold. The worse thing for me is this huge pressure at the base of my throat - just getting worse by the minute.
I feel a bit weak and dizzy too, but was very keyed up this morning...

Old 04-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I feel for you! I had that test done 3 months ago before my surgery...and it wasn't pleasant. Hang in there!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andilyn View Post
I feel for you! I had that test done 3 months ago before my surgery...and it wasn't pleasant. Hang in there!
Hi, Thanks! It isn't as bad as I had feared, but I will be glad to have the tube out tomorrow. Just tried to eat veggie cottage pie...a bit tricky compared to milk and ensure that I had for dinner.
I thought keeping a bit of a diary here might help someone who hasn't yet been for the testing. If a coward like me can cope - anyone can

Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
(male)

scott1360 HB User

Hang in there. I just had the impedence test on Friday. My throat felt REALLY sore the whole time and everytime I swallowed it pulled on my nose so it was a bit tough to eat. I did manage to eat 3 meals though and found that I had much more heartburn than usual, especially while lying down. I wonder if it was because my throat/esophagus was inflammed from the foreign object so it was more sensitive. Ill have to see what the results are next week. How much longer do you have to go? By the way, I had to take it out myself because it was Saturday and it felt amazing once it came out.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Thanks scott, I am going to try and sleep now. It's a bit early for me at
10:30pm, but I'm fed up of not being able to move around. You just can't turn your head without the tube pulling, as you will know
I have this thing removed mid morning tomorrow. I was hoping to get the results, but if you've had to wait, I bet I will too.
I don't know how you managed three meals; I feel squeamish about all the pulling and my nose started to bleed!
It really hasn't been as bad as I had feared though When you think about it ; we all get used to suffering with this awful set of symptoms. Maybe a healthy person would find the test worse in contrast to feeling healthy to start with.
Kim

Old 04-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

K
You are giving me courage to do it...I have been so scared!
Good Luck and keep us posted on the results.
Youa re braver than I!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Hi, I have been de-tubed - alex, brave and me don't belong in the same sentence! I'm very sensitive to pain, and panic if something feels weird!
Please have these tests done. It felt more like the sensations you get with a bad cold. Even the slight nose-bleed just tickled and burned slightly. The heartburn was quite bad bit I'm used to having that. It was good to get the tube out though, because when you turn your head - you get a very slight gagging, even thought he 'tube' is more like a fine wire.
I was a bit worried this afternoon because I had slight blood in stool that was dark red. When we have these symptoms, I think bowel problems are on our list of 'what ifs' - I'm wondering if the test might have caused it - anyone know please?
~Kim~

Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

K,
Congrats on getting though that!
Keep us posted on the results.
Maybe the blood is just from some bleeding you swallowed in your nose...or if it was bright red you may have a fissure or something.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Hi alex, Thanks for quick reply. It wasn't bright red, darker. I think once blood is digested - it goes black, but maybe a bit got through un-digested. I don't want to have to worry about anything else I'm always afraid this is going to turn out to be cancer somewhere, because symptoms came out of the blue and have become so severe. Then again, I'm SUCH a worrier. My poor hubby -good job I have this forum!

Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 AM   #12
(female)

seajay HB User

Kim,

Did you get your results yet? By the way, thank you for responding to my other thread. My GI Doctor said if any symptoms persist that I may want to consider a manometry/ph probe. I considered it for about 1/2 of a second. Hah. Then, I remembered that you posted about this and wondered if you have received any information yet.

It sounds like you have many polyps. They only found one in my stomach, so I am not too concerned about my biopsy as I read that H. pylori can cause polyps.

Are they trying to see how much acid your stomach is producing? Or, is it that bacteria they are checking? I feel a little ignorant here because I didn't ask the doctor what this test tells him that the scope couldn't.

I hope your endurace of this may serve to help resolve some of your troubles.

Last edited by seajay; 05-14-2007 at 07:06 AM.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Hi, Thanks for asking about me! I go back for results on Thursday. Test was for motility and acid production. First part of test was the manometry and the second part was the 24 hour ph test.
I was checked for H Pylori almost a year back, when I had the scope - it was negative.
Motility test shows normal muscle contractions (or otherwise) and ph shows acidic level of any reflux.
If you need these tests; they are not nice - like a smear test is uncomfy, but not painful. Sensations were pulling, slight stinging and a tiny amount of gagging that could be settled with a sip of water. I am super-sensitive to pain and panic pretty easily...if I can do this...anyone can. You get to feel really brave as a reward, because family and friends think it sounds so awful
Kim

Old 05-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
(female)

kathleen345 HB User

Hello ~K~ I'm so glad I came upon your posting about this test...my doctor is ordering it for me and I am nervous about it! I can't remember, did you say you were able to eat with that tube going down your throat? Also I was wondering...you said the test is in 2 parts. What does the first part require? Thanks so much for the info.
Kathleen in CA

Old 05-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
(male)

scott1360 HB User

Hey Kathleen. I had the 24 hour impedence test a few weeks ago and might have to repeat it on meds. You can eat with the tube in although its a bit tough because if you hit it with food it moves and pulls on your nose a bit and also when you chew and swallow it pulls again on your nose. Its not impossible but I definitely couldnt eat "normally" as they suggested. I think the first part she was refering to is manometry. They do this as a seperate test and also to help locate your LES for the ph test. They feed the tube through your nose into your stomach and then once its in they have you swallow and swallow sips of water to test your esophageal contractions and pressures. The manometry tube is larger than the 24 hour tube but the 24 hour tube just is in a while so it irritates your throat/nose but it feels great once it comes out!

Last edited by scott1360; 05-17-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Closed Thread