It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Activia Yogurt

Started taking this the other day. My stomach is now all screwed up and my GERD is the worse it's been in weeks, even tongue feels numb and that hasn't happened in awhile. Why would this yogurt screw me up so much?

Old 05-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Activia Yogurt

Maybe you allergic to a component in it? What fruit is in it? Also yogurt while basic in nature will stimulate more mucus and more acid production to nuetralize the acidity.. thus increasing over all stomach acid volume. Try eating some bread when you eat the yogurt to help absorb some of the excess acid. Other than these ideas.. i have no clue.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Just bought plain vanilla. Wonder if it's milk or lactose in it? Though I thought yogurt would be ok if lactose problem.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

Yes, it totally did the same to me, it's the dairy. I am bummed!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddyflanders View Post
Just bought plain vanilla. Wonder if it's milk or lactose in it? Though I thought yogurt would be ok if lactose problem.
If you have a lactose problem then that means no dairy. Yogurt is in the dairy category.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Would be interesting to find out that dairy was causing all my problems. I just started (yesterday) a diet of vegetables, fruit & meat. Will give it two weeks to see what happens. If it works will slowly put things back, one at a time. If it doesn't work it's back to the drawing board.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

If you do go back to eating dairy try organic dairy instead. Regular milk is full of garbage and a lot of people cannot tolerate it. Organic yogurt is best if you're trying to put good bacteria back in your body.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

If it is dairy I figure I'll know within a few days. I've avoided any dairy since two days ago. So far I don't feel any different but I figure it might take a few days. I'll give it 7-10 days to see if their's any improvement. If not, it's not dairy.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

for those that are lactose intolerant, yogurt rarely causes problems because of the way it is processed. It's the one dairy item I CAN eat. I wonder if it's one of additives that's the problem.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Yeah maybe, or maybe it has to do with those active cultures (bifo something or other). But their suppose to be good for you, not sure how they could cause problems in my gut. Maybe after I test no dairy I'll try it again and this time wait it out, see if my gut gets really bad or lets up. Who knows, maybe the pain I was getting was a good thing. Not sure which way is up anymore with this reflux.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
(female)

Shgar HB User

If you have a problem with lactose, store bought yogurt will cause a problem. However, if you buy a yogurt maker and make your own (It is not that hard at all), you can have a better tasting yogurt that is much better tolerated by people who have a problem with lactose. I do not have this problem but I have read that the reason yogurt is not tolerated well is because it is not cultured for long enough. It must be cultured for 24 hours, so that all the lactose in the milk is used up by the bacteria. This kind of yogurt also has a much higher bacteria count than store bought yogurt and is much better for you. I recently learned how to do this, and now I don't even like the store bought yogurt anymore!! You can do a web search on yogurt and get all kinds of recipes for homemade yogurt. The easiest way is to buy a machine to make it. There is one call yogourmet that is excellent and makes 2 qts at a time. I eat 3 servings a day.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I read something interesting about Activia yogurt. I stopped eating it because it was causing me really bad stomach pains. I recently read that if you get stomach pains after eating activia (or taking probiotics) it means it's working but your taking to much of it. In fact one way to know your probiotic is effective is to take to much of it and see if your stomach hurts, if it does it means it's working. Anyway your suppose to lower the amount your taking by half and eventually increase over time by small amounts.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
(female)

peachy50 HB User

My daughter and I just started the one a day Activia challenge. I have been reading all night long, and I'm feeling a little hesitant. I started this past Saturday. Nothing really yet except for a burning feeling on my skin around my thigh, right thigh at the very top. Feels like a nerve thing going on. Tonight it seems better. It just started this morning 4 days into it. What is really weird is that my daughter just called and complained of the same thing. I will keep going with this for the moment, but if anything else happens I will quit while I'm ahead. I've been reading for about two hours, and so far it's about 50/50. I'm in my late 50's and suffer with IBS. I had a very serious back injury in my 30's and that's when it all started. My daugher is in her late 30's and suffers from Hypo Thyroid, bloating, weight gain. Even with Hypo she has been having trouble with gaining weight. We could both benifit by losing 10-lbs. We both weigh the same. We both quit smoking and the 10 lbs jumped right on our hips and tummies. She has the bloating problem. Prilosec has not helped her much. When she eats her tumny extends bad. So here we go, together.

I will check back and hope to find more success cases. I hope to be one of them along with my daughter. I would give almost anything to be able to get a handle on the IBS. I've suffered for years. Thanks for listening. I will keep you posted on our success. Notice I didn't mention failure. LOL

Old 09-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi,

I just wanted to add - what I do and what I know. I have IBS, gerd, acid reflux and more. I take Nexium in the am, 30 minutes before eating (prescription). Then I have a vanilla yogurt in the morning, and before dinner I have a DanActive. Just about every day. I do not remember this ever bothering me. I believe it helps, and if it does not totally, keep me from having acid, I take a Pepcid Complete.

I also hear, that there are probiotic pills. It does take some peoples bodies time to get used to changes.

Good luck.

Wannabe

Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Very interesting... l started taking the pro biotic drinks to help my stomach discomfort and it made it worse!!!.... will try half the amount cheers

Closed Thread