It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

mellyuk HB User
help

Hi

About a year ago my doctor said I had acid reflux and gave me two weeks course of tablets that got rid of it. However about 8 months later after minor surgery this returned and I went to the doctors but could only see the nurse who put it down to my anxiety and gave me cimitidine tablets, which don’t work.

For the last week I have been feeling nauseous and feel pressure under the V bit at the bottom of my ribcage, I am burping a lot and when I drink water I feel it hit my stomach. These feelings go away when I eat and return about 2 hours later. It started with acid burnt his time and after taking the medication it felt like my stomach was burning and then it turned into this feeling sick.

Do any of you have any suggestions, I am always going to my doctors and getting nowhere, I have had hemariods that have been banded twice in the last 8 months but always come back. I am 29 fit, workout and am a vegetarian and eat a low fat diet. I have tried Aloe Vera juice, manuka honey and every antacid on the market and nothing is helping. Could it be a stomach bug without the diaorhea and sickness or something much worse?

Thanks

Old 05-03-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User
Re: help

Hello Mellyuk,

I am experienceing the very same symptoms since last week. I'll add that I have a horrible gnawing feeling in my stomach that makes me feel hungry all the time, even right after I eat.

I had my gallbladder out 8 years ago and have had acid reflux ever since. I have also been on Prilosec for over 10 years. This is driving me nuts. I am wondering whether this is from stress. I just closed up our winter home in Fla and drove 17 hrs up to NE PA. This winter we had a lot of work done on our home here so I've been extremely busy and tired putting it back in order.

I just made an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back to you on what she suggests. Most of these symptoms suggest either ulcer, gastritis or perhaps even H. Pylori. I am going to ask for a test for that.

I am about to try Pepto Bismol and Maalox. I have cut my coffee down to 2 cups but know she will tell me to eliminate it totally. I've had this before but only for a few days. Never this long.

I'll check in and report her suggestions. I am not interested in going for an endo exam quite yet as this is only day 10 for me. Had one years ago and it was negative.

Feel better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
(female)

mellyuk HB User

hi

thanks for your message

Where are you located? I am in the UK and I look forward to hearing back from you with regards to what your doctor says.

I suffer from health anxiety and I am going to leave it until Tuesday before I go in. I was in a week and a half ago with the heartburn and I'm sure my doctors and certainly the nurse think I am wasting their time.

Thanks

Melly

Old 05-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

Hi Melly,

Well, my doctors says I have an ulcer. I started feelin much better today but she insists that my symptoms are consistent with ulcer disease. She is increasing my Prilosec to 40 mgs per day, adding Pepcid at bedtime and I am to take Maalox or Mylanda when needed. If this does not improve within 6 weeks I have to have another EDG. (tube down the throat).

I have had GERD for 15 years. She believes the added stress I've been under PLUS dietary indescretions (chocolate, soda, coffee, etc) added to my problems and put me over tht edge. I'll watch my diet now as well and increasing my meds. She wanted to give me Nexium but I had a problem with that last year when this stuff reared it's ugly head....(at least I thinki it was the Nexium, probably not) Nexium is stronger but she said the OTC Prilosec at 20 mg a day was a "baby dose".....this new regime should also help my burning tongue....

How are you doing today? Please keep in touch.

Linda
PS I am in Pennsylvania, USA, for the summer.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
(female)

mellyuk HB User

Hi Linda

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have not been to my doctors yet as it is a bank holiday weekend in the UK and they don't open until Tuesday and I doubt I will get in then. I will try though, I have not been very good, loads of hunger pains, feeling sick and burping.

I am glad of your reply as I suffer health anxiety and you having the same symtoms as me and not been told you have anything horrible puts my mind at ease, although I would rather you not suffer from this.

I would like to keep in touch and if you can find a way of emailing me without me post my addy on here, it would be good.

Thanks and I hope you feel better soon

Keep well

Melly

Old 05-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

If its Acid Reflux consider drinking large quantities of filtered water with a Probiotic purchased at your local health store (the more Strains and the more Microorganisms the better which means Billions). Also, GARLIC everyday. I use Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Liquid mixed with water or juice. I've never used the wormwood herb Artemisia Asiatica but I've read that it helps. What I've recommended is all Natural. Avoid drugs and over the counter products. Also consider drinking each day KEFIR (cousin of the yogurt) which is a Probiotic and is pleasant tasting that you'll find in the dairy case of your supermarket. If all of this helps report back so that others can be helped.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 AM   #7
(female)

mellyuk HB User

Hi Linda

I have just got back from my doctors, she has asked for a stool sample to check for that bug that causes this and has give me 28 days worth of Omeprazole 20mg once a day.

If my test comes back negative and the tablets don't work she will then, if need be(hopefully not) send me for a scope.

So I will see how I go and keep you informed.

Thanks

Melly

Old 05-16-2007, 04:21 AM   #8
(female)

mellyuk HB User

Well my test come back as negative, and after a week of feeling good on omeprazole my nausea and noisy stomach are back.

It is a horrible feeling just under the sternum almost like my stomach is turning over/churning. eating only releives it for an hour if I am lucky. Last night I had chips from the chippy, I never eat chips and these helped for 12 hours.

Should I take a extra tablet, at the moment I am taking only one 20mg, surely it won't hurt me to double up for a day or two?

What do all of you think?

Regards

Melly

PS: Linda how are you doing?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

Hi Melly,

I have double dup on the Prilosec and take it twice a day instead of once. The gnawing pain in my tummy is gone but I still have lots of acid reflux. My Dr. said that 20mg is a baby dose! I also take Pepcid in the afternoon if I need it.

I have to admit that I've been into the ice cream again, which I LOVE. So, now that it's gone, I hope this acid feeling disappears as well. Maybe some of this is from lactose intolerance.... My tongue is still burning, my mouth tastes like acid and I have a post nasal drip. I do have allergies and the trees are just coming out here....lots going on.

Hope you are doing better.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
(female)

mellyuk HB User

Hi

Thank for your reply.

A baby dose hey? I knew my doctor was not taking me seriously and putting it down to my health anxiety, something that started after one of her partners told me I had AIDS because I had a chest infection and “looked ill”. The stress of that, I have never recovered and I do overreact to things now. When I had slight anal bleeding I was convinced I had cancer (my grand dies of this) and even after the colonoscopy and the surgeon had told me under sedation that I had bad hemmoriods I was still in floods of tears when I started to come round, I was so bad he had to come out of surgery and sit with me to convince me that I didn’t.

I had my first problem with really bad reflux in May 06, I was in away from home working on a deal and my symptoms had been getting worse and worse, burning and difficulty swallowing anything. I had given up smoking and was on the inhaler (which I think may cause it as this time I am again trying to give up but with the microtabs and it’s started again), in the end by the time the train got me home I couldn’t breathe (my asthma) and had to get cover and rush to my GP. I was seen by a different doc and she looked at my records and said all this is acid reflux, gave me two weeks worth of omeprazole (I think) twice a day and it went away, and I only had the odd attack of reflux which I could control with over the counter meds.

However my hemmoriods come back and I had to go into hospital for an operation on them in March 07 and since then I have been struggling with the reflux. I went to the docs and was seen by the nurse practitioner who doesn’t have much time for me, she said omprazole was too good to give to someone with anxiety caused reflux and gave me cimitdine which did naff all.

I went to my doctors the a week ago and she has given me these, she did say she would refer me for a scope if I didn’t improve, but after my last two performances in the hospital I am sure they will be like, “massive waiting list”, “no sorry we are closed”, “don’t send her back”. I am pretty sure it will be the same team treating me.

I am not getting much acid reflux this time, I had one major load fill me mouth this morning, but more stomach burn, hunger pangs and I couldn’t swallow my tea tonight and I have a sore tongue. After the AIDS scare where I was worried sick for 3 weeks before I could have the test, which was negative and then the bowel cancer scare I said I was never going to get myself so worked up again, however I am worked up, I have had 10 different major illnesses this week (that I had matched to my problems on ******) and I am so scared that it will be third time unlucky for me if I have to have some more tests.

I am on such a downer; do you think it will be safe for me to take an extra tablet? I am scared that this will mask something more serious and I can’t get to my doctor until I get home next week and I have so many meetings and what not over the next 3 days, do I will have to make this decision on my own.

I hope you all don’t think I am totally mental, but I am alone this week in a strange country and I am feeling like crap so any advice or reassurance that you all have the same symptoms would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for long post

Mellly

Old 05-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Standard prilosec dosages are:
40 mg once a day for Gerd and 40 mg twice a day for LPR. Look in to seeing if you have your stomach acid is of a low ph factor. Low ph stomach acid causes the need for more volume of acid to digest your food.. resulting in overflow and acid reflux.

Doubling up will not hurt you.. if things get worse, acid reflux wise. Look into the apple cider vinegar treatment posts about. It may be you have a low pH and you need the buffer.

If you have been on hard core anti-biotics you may need to replenish the good bacteria in your digestive track as well. Look into getting some proabotics (SP).. Mike in NY knows a good deal about this..

Over all chill, take a deep breathe, exercise a bit, take care of your sleep hygiene and relax. Live and eat healthy and hope for the best, try not to worry over the rest. I do not think you are in any danger; and the stress and anxiety you are putting yourself through will just make you feel worse.

Respectfully,
MG

Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #12
(female)

lucyebony HB User
Smile Re: help

Hello,

I am new to this site and I also have esophagitis with candida. I was exposed to a lot of mold and I didn't realize how serious mold can be.

I feel that the tender spot on the interior of my throat is heading toward erosion and even though I gave up many foods, I have cheated here and there a bit.

My doctor failed to act on the symptoms that I gave her over a year ago and I have spent the last 15 months on the computer for hundreds of hours searching for an answer to my problems.

I EVEN CALLED THE POISON CENTER AND THAT PERSON SAID I SHOULD SEE AN EAR, NOSE & THROAT (ENT) DOCTOR OR A GASTROINTESTINAL DOCTOR.

I saw an ENT doctor at the end of October 06 and she said that I have esophagitis. She gave me prilosec but I knew that those meds cause many problems of their own.

I made diet changes and I sit up almost straight in bed with 3 huge pillows behind me. iT TOOK A FEW WEEKS FOR MY BACK & BUTT TO ADJUST but now I am fine.

I most certainly have the silent reflux most of the time and I suspect a hiatel hernia. Meat & fish are the only foods that feel like they are getting stuck and it hurts so I take tiny pieces and always have water handy.

I take a great PROBIOTIC which is crucial to promoting good bacteria. When my throat is hurting which seems more lately, I also use liquid probiotics from a health food store and it is refrigerated. I take a couple of Tablespoonfuls and let it slowly run down my throat which is very soothing. Do not drink anything after as the idea is to let the good bacteria coat the tissue for awhile. Plus I take a capsule form.

I use Olive Leaf and Oreganol super strength P73. It's oil of wild oregano but I think I will stop that for awhile and just use the olive leaf. I think the oregano is too strong and is making my throat worse. No problem with olive leaf.

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WOULD WORK FOR ANYONE ON THE PHARMA MEDS DUE TO UNKNOWN REACTIONS. yOU WOULD NEED TO CONSULT WITH AN HERBALIST FOR YOUR SAFETY.

The people with the sore, burning mouth and tongue have "Burning Mouth Syndrome" My mouth, particularly my tongue would burn day & night for months.

Look it up on the web and you will be amazed at the number of people who have it. Their hints were very helpful. Not to many Doctors or Dentists know about it but the ones in alternative medicine do.

Mine started to improve after taking a good probiotic. I would open up a capsule of powder and cover my tongue with it and just let it sit there or sometimes I would spray my tongue with colloidal silver at 30 PPM (parts per million) which is a low dose or sometimes I would split open a vitamin E capsule ( the light colored ones) and cover my tongue with that to help with the burning.
I also either have an extremely dry mouth or within seconds I have very thick saliva. I get frothy foam in my mouth when I eat anything with sugar or my saliva turns into very thick, pure white glob of foam like beaten egg whites. I think that's the Candida. That's why I don't eat any sugar items and that has improved tremendously. I chew xylitol gum for the dryness.

I now only have a quick reaction with some foods that is painful.
I can't eat raw onions or garlic as they kill me & my tongue.
Ketchup, all processed salad dressings, pickles, peppers (all colors), any red processed spaghetti sauces. I can eat fresh tomatoes and plain canned tomatoes BUT not the ones with onions & garlic.

We are supposed to avoid all sugar products, most breads especially the yeast ones and dairy products.
I do use a little milk in my one cup of tea or coffee for breakfast, and about 1/2 cup on my oatmeal.

The key is not to buy the products in the first place. I have given up about 95% of these products. NO ICE CREAM EXCEPT FOR A FAMILY BIRTHDAY PARTY. I just threw away a large bag of chips, no fried food.

Small meals are definitely helpful. I only eat a half sandwich or an open sandwich. One slice of good bread.

This may sound silly but it does help me with my decisions. I found it on a diet site a long time ago and use it when I am considering to go off my bad food restrictions. It's a mental attitude sentence. I just say to myself, "I choose not to eat chips, ice cream etc. to make myself feel better." I avoid going down that food isle in the store too.

I hope you will research alternative methods for your problems. Knowledge is Power.

I hope that any one of the items I listed will help someone.

As you know, when you weaken and eat something that is bad for you, YOU WILL PAY THE PRICE !!! Try to be strong and say to yourself, "I CHOOSE NOT TO EAT THAT."

TO YOUR IMPROVED HEALTH.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
(female)

lucyebony HB User

PS: I wanted to mention that a wonderful product for people with "Burning Mouth Syndrome" for brushing your teeth (NO MORE BURNING AND PAIN) IS Biotene toothpaste. I just found out about this from a Surgery Dentist.
How I wish I had that information months ago.

It says use for Dry Mouth BUT it doesn't BURN !!!

THANK YOU, GOD.

Closed Thread