It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

JOG1151 HB User
Colonoscopy Prep Question...need advice

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on Tuesday.

I am trying to decide between 2 different preps, and was hoping to get some advice or opinions.

The 1st prep has me taking 4 Dulcolax tablets at 3pm. At 4pm and 8pm I take one bottle of Citrate of Magnesia. I must drink at least 2 quarts of clear liquid throughout the evening.

The 2nd prep has me taking Visicol Tablets. I start taking 3 tablets at 4pm with an 8 ounce glass of clear liquid...I continue taking 3 tablets with an 8 ounce glass of clear liquid, every 15 minutes, until I have taken a total of 28.

Is there any benefit in doing one prep over the other. Has anyone tried either/both???? Is either "easier" (I use the term loosely) than the other?

I appreciate any advice or any info...thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
(female)

Laura51 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy Prep Question...need advice

I had the same option. I decided on the liquid and Dulcolax. I was worried about fluid overload with the pills. I have other health issues,too. Be prepared and take some Dramamine for nausea. I got really sick 2 hours after I drank the liquid and started to vomit. Plus going the other end. It isn't real pleasant. The colonoscopy went great and I only had some gas pains after for a couple of days. That was the most uncomfortable part.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I don't have any experience with the first prep, but I did the second and got so nauseaus from having to drink that stuff every 15 minutes!! I wound up extending it out as I couldn't get it all down in the time it said.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
(female)

Bluesy HB User

I work for a GI and almost 99% of the patients prefers the magnesium citrate and dulcolax. And alot of patients I've talked to said the Visicol prep doesn't clean you out very well.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

My doctor gave me this powder called, GoLightly and you add water to it to make 4 litres. Ahtough it tasted horrible I didn't thorwo up. The good thing about it was that it was electrolite balanced so after being on a liquid diet for 2 days, I used this stuff and didn't feel weak the next day.

Closed Thread