It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

jess25 HB User
Questions about reflux

I have been having alot of chest pain and recently started with continous burping during the chest pain episodes. The doctor thinks it is gerd and has prescribed nexium. My question is this, i never have any burning or anything else in my throat that I have always heard was associated with reflux. Is it possible to have reflux and not experience the actual heartburn and things. I also sometimes have a feeling of my heart fluttering but I seem to feel it in my throat, is this common with reflux as well?

Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
(female)

Nancydogs HB User
Re: Questions about reflux

I was diagnosed a few years ago with GERD. When the Dr. 1st told me my symptoms were caused from my stomach I did not believe him. He gave me this light green stuff to drink, it made my throat knumb, then my whole body felt relaxed and I could not stop burping!! This time feeling sick I have had new symptoms. Been woken up with reflux but never a burning just choking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

It is possible that your syptoms are GERD or LPR. You need to see a GI or ENT to know for sure. They can look and tell if it is present. They are also best versed in the treatments of said complaints.

But burning is not necessary for GERD/LPR sufferers.. chest pain, palpatations(sp) are all symptoms of GERD/LPR.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
(male)

miknan HB User

Jess,
I had classic GERD symptoms for many years and ignored them. Then I started getting chest pains and was scared I was going to have a heart attack or something. Started to exercise and eat better in my mind to get my heart healthy. Most of my reflux problems seemed to go away but still occasionally had chest pain. Saw my doctor and he did an EKG and stress test which was all normal. Told me reflux was probably still causing it but I didn't really believe him, I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack some day. Fast forward a couple more years... I would go on and off my diet, relux would return, still had occasional chest pain. Reflux got so bad I finally got an EGD which showed that I now have Barrett's esophagus from years of untreated GERD. So FINALLY I exept that my chest pain is caused by reflux and I wished I had listened to him earlier. Listen to your doctor but hopefully, he/she will do test to rule out heart trouble. Oh yeah, I use to allow myself one can of diet coke per day but now have cut all carbonated beverages out of my diet and that seems to have got completely rid of my burping.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
(female)

jess25 HB User

yeah I have had all the heart tests as well because I am so sure it is heart related. I seem to have the burping alot worse when I am nervous or upset. I just burp continuously!! I jumped up out of bed the other night because my chest was hurting and I started burping really bad and the pain seemed to ease slowly with each burp !!My husband said,see if it was your heart burping definetly wouldn't help it. I have anxiety disorder as well so that seems to make it worse. i just didn't know that palpatations could be caused from GERD. It feels like ,my heart flutters alot. It does help sometimes to know that other people are having the same symptoms and that I am not alone though.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
(female)

mllandbal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess25 View Post
I have been having alot of chest pain and recently started with continous burping during the chest pain episodes. The doctor thinks it is gerd and has prescribed nexium. My question is this, i never have any burning or anything else in my throat that I have always heard was associated with reflux. Is it possible to have reflux and not experience the actual heartburn and things. I also sometimes have a feeling of my heart fluttering but I seem to feel it in my throat, is this common with reflux as well?
It is possible to have reflux and not have the actual heartburn..mine started out that way when i was 18 years old..seems kind of early for these kinds of problems but i also had my appendix taken out,gall bladder taken out and lots of female problems by the time i turned 21.i also thought i had to be having a heart attack,the pain would be unbareable and when i was told it was acid reflux i didnt believe it at first but after many years of dealing with it i know just about all the kinds of discomfort and pain it can cause and the thing about me is that right now i am pregnant and even when taking my nexium i noticed that as my baby grows bigger just as with every other one of my children my acid is harder to control and this is from the baby pressing on my insides..i take my medicine every day i just had to learn to try and not eat past 6 in the evening while i am pregnant or not even my medicine will work while pregnant.i have also woken up in the middle of the night when i was pregnant with my acid flared up so bad that acid was actually pouring from my mouth and i coulnt breathe so i now have to have my bed elevated to prevent this..the onyl thing i am waiting on now is for insurance to finally decide to pay for beds that can help elevate you cause i need one bad...lol

Closed Thread