It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Getting much closer to cause

If you have read my earlier posts I have been doing an elimination diet to see what is causing my reflux and stomach problems (bloating, burning etc.) I would have to say I am getting closer to what is causing this. I went 10 days without dairy, no changes. It's not that, I'm sure now. Then went on 10 days of eating just fruit, vegetables and meat. My reflux went down to almost nothing, though I did have some burning in stomach. The interesting thing was when I added other foods back to diet. First, just for fun I added a bag of Baked potato chips, this caused bloating and reflux when sleeping. Because I wasn't sure if it was the fat content I ate a dinner last night, high in carbs but low in fat. I'm horrible today, throat burning like it use to. I've read in previous posts about carbs being the problem and didn't believe it, now I'm starting to believe it. Problem is with those diets they stop you from eating almost everything, I have to figure out how to help stomach absorb carbs, I'm not going to give up all those foods. Reflux (at least in my case) is caused by the colon enlarging and putting pressure on the stomach. Beat the absorption problem you eliminate reflux.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Getting much closer to cause

Glad to hear your honing in on the problem!! How did you find out that the colon was enlarging and causing the problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

Your posts are always interesting. Please keep us informed. Can you detail what tests (ph, endocopy, colonoscopy) you have already undertaken? I am also beginning to think food plays some part in this. However, I still think my solution lies with improving a poorly performing LES.

What about wheat? Do you think you are affected by all high carbs (e.g. rice) or just some?

Like you I'll also publish my "solutions" if I get them.

Last edited by christopher1mil; 05-08-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I've had a few tests taken. The Upper GI, the tube down the throat and a bunch of blood tests. I have rec'd the same answers that we all get(acid reflux, here goes PPI's). We're all in the same boat there. I do agree that the LES is letting through acid though I don't agree that the LES is weak or the cause. After having so much pressure on it, it fails. Remove the pressure and it will eventually go back to normal. I have researched everything and one theory is the transverse colon enlarges do to food in the colon (which isn't digested in small intestine like it should be). It sits in large intestine and causes bloating, pressure etc. This enlargement causes pressure against stomach (much like having a baby causes reflux). Have any of you noticed a feeling of pressure or pain underneath either rib? what do you think is causing that. I also had an ultrasound early on and they said my colon was full of gas and was blocking view(didn't think much of that then). If you want to, try proving it to yourself. Load up on carbs (not fat carbs, then you might think it's just the fat content). Take a day when you feel real good, eat linguine or spaghetti (no tomato sauce), any food that is high in carbs and low in fat. Try sleeping that night, if your like me you'll be up all night even if you ate at 6PM. You'll wake up with a stomach full of gas and probably bloating. I also read in another post about somebody saying a no carb diet cured her, but if you read her post she not only gave up carbs she gave up almost everything. I'm not going that route, I like to eat and I'm not ending up eating like a rabbit. I'm working on a fix right now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

Sounds very interesting...I think after mothers day I will try that for 10 days. Now can you please tell me, what is considered a carb? Would it be potatos, rice etc.... like that, does fruit and sugar count? Also the meat and veggies, any meats to avoid or vegetables to avoid? Is fish ok?

Thank you so much

Alex

Old 05-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

I think the senerio you describe might apply to me. My problem started after changing my diet to lower cholesterol. One of the changes I made was switching to whole grains. I started eating 4 or 5 servings of whole grain each day. I have scaled it back to 1 serving at breakfast and have seen improvement. The simple forms of carbs don't seem to effect me as much as the more complex forms of carbs. Maybe I'll try a week or two with no grain products at all and see what happens. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

The reflux is being caused by to much gas in the colon, which causes it to enlarge and press on the stomach. At least in my case. I've abandon the idea of lower acid in my stomach to solve problem, I'm going after the cause not the symptoms. But it's tough, it's like being Sherlock Holmes trying to figure out which foods are causing the gas and which one's don't.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

Neddy Flower writes: "the transverse colon enlarges do to food in the colon (which isn't digested in small intestine like it should be). It sits in large intestine and causes bloating, pressure etc. This enlargement causes pressure against stomach (much like having a baby causes reflux). Have any of you noticed a feeling of pressure or pain underneath either rib? what do you think is causing that. I also had an ultrasound early on and they said my colon was full of gas and was blocking view(didn't think much of that then). If you want to, try proving it to yourself."

One question
* Would a colonoscopy or any other med test confirm your diagnosis?
One Comment
* I have also had both the pain under the ribs and an ultrasond that was virtually rendered meaningless because of the amount of gas. at the time, I attributed the gas to the PPIs and later to a very high fibre wheat breakfast. However, I am going to evaluate this with a fully trained dietician. In fact, so far I have used 2 GPs, 1 Gastro, 1 Gastro surgeon (consultation only at this stage) and a dietician. I figure it is as well to get everything evaluated before surgery. I am keen to do any other test that will throw light on the pressure in and around my abdomen region.

One Danger
* Not a big danger mind you, but you might be confusing the source of the problem with a possible solution. However, if it works for you, who cares? Wwith the help of the dietician, I want to set up a similar experiment to yours.

Good luck and keep posting

Last edited by christopher1mil; 05-11-2007 at 08:39 AM.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I don't see how having a colon full of gas would show up during a colonosopy. Also when your colon enlarges due to gas it also goes back to normal size when you don't have any. I would think this test wouldn't prove anything worthwhile in the cause of reflux.

Funny that you had the ultrasound and had the same result. Here's another interesting thing to notice. If your like me you usually go number 2 when you wake up in the morning. Every now and then though, you may go before you go to bed. See how your reflux and stomach pains are that night. I guarantee you you'll have a good nights sleep. I have absolutely no doubt on the cause of my reflux. None whatsoever. I hope now by knowing the cause I can find the fix and believe me I'm working on it. Reflux is not so complicated like the doctors would make it out to be (oh it's hormones, or weak LES muscle, or to much acid). Bull. Your not digesting your food and it's sitting in your intestines causing gas and bloating. Pressure is placed on your stomach and the muscle eventually fails due to pressure. Believe me, reduce or remove the pressure and your muscle with go back to normal. That is what I am working on now.

One more thing, I'm not saying this is the cause of 100% of everybodys reflux, but it's the cause of mine.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

I really think you are onto something. That said, I just wish there were some objective tests to prove it. As far as the colonoscopy goes, I was thinking more of a biopsy rather than just the video. For e.g., the diagnosis of coeliacs disease (gluten intolerance) is determined by taking a biopsy of the small bowel during an endoscopy. If it is not possible to note the gas during a colonoscopy, it might (and I'm talking as an educated, non-medical layman) to determine damage to the colon caused by the excessive gas.

There are so many more questions I'd like to ask you. In partulcar, I would like to know the details of your low carb diet. Please keep posting, collectively, we might be able to get into to a position to nail this illness.

Finally, a solution to the problem might lie with tinkering to our diet rather than broadbrush elimination of carbs. Such tinkering, however, would have to addresss the need to have regular, satisfying bowel movements.

Last edited by christopher1mil; 05-12-2007 at 12:36 AM.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #11
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

Neddy two more points. You write: "our not digesting your food and it's sitting in your intestines causing gas and bloating. Pressure is placed on your stomach and the muscle eventually fails due to pressure. Believe me, reduce or remove the pressure and your muscle with go back to normal. That is what I am working on now."
I understand that many surgeons investigate gastric emptying before doing surgery. However, our problem might be more involved than simple motility. I go to the toilet (like you mostly during the day), but still have a lot of gas.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I'm not saying motility is the problem. Here's what I'm getting at. You eat something, and if your like me sometimes you'll feel a burning or pain under your rib about 20 minutes to an hour later. Later on you feel bloating in your stomach and depending on how bad it is, it may hurt or it may be just an annoyance. Then you go to sleep, you get reflux at night and then wake up with a stomach full of gas. At least I do. Something is being eaten that willl not digest correctly if at all. This is my cause, it may or may not be everybody else's. Also I am not on a starvation diet like people have mentioned (no carbs, no milk, no sugar, no this, no that, why bother living). I no longer take any antacids of any kind and I now sleep through the night. Am I cured, No. but I am so much closer. When I am free from all symptoms for a few weeks and finally have it all worked out I'll be convinced and say what I'm doing, or, if this is just one of those fluke times where I get better for awhile and then get worse I'm just going to scream and will have nothing more to say.

Closed Thread