It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

Papyrus4 HB User
What might this be?

Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I'm in my 50s, am through menopause and have fibromyalgia with IBS and GERD. When I finally got through perimenopause and quit taking HRT, my GERD really subsided. I hardly ever have any heartburn. But I continue to have this strange symptom that I'm suspecting has something to do with GERD, or at least my esophagus/stomach/transverse colon. I have this strange sensation in my chest when seems to be happening all the time now. It feels like its located at the bottom of my sternum, inside me. It feels like a fluttering. Sometimes I confuse it with an irregular heartbeat. It seems to be the worst during the periods of time when I am having irregular heartbeats, but it defintetly is not an irregular beat. I also have alot of feelings of needing to burp during that time too.
It feels like there is always a small animal running around in my chest. Its driving me crazy. I'm not on any stomach meds. Maybe I have a twitch/spasm in there? Maybe its a nerve problem? I just don't know. But its driving me nuts. Calcium seemed to keep it controlled for awhile, but after I came off my beta blocker, it has been there more and more.
It doesn't hurt. Its just very disconcerting. Have any of you ever had anything like this? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: What might this be?

It does sound like low level reflux.. I would try some over the counter prilosec for at least fourteen days and see if that helps. If it does you may want to get a prescription for Nexium.

Best of luck.
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I wonder if you're having the same thing I did, especially when I took Reglan and for several months after it.

I got heart palpitations (premature atrial contractions PACs), but often I also got what I call "stomach flutters". It was like a nervous tingling at my stomach level. Often happened with the PACs, but sometimes they simply interchanged.

The PACs are apparently definitely related to gastroparesis (which I have), but possibly also to GERD I wonder. This all seems to do with the vagus nerve, the main driver of the autonomic nervous system which goes down the esophagus and controls the digestive system as well as the heart.

I'm thinking my stomach flutters are just another way of my faulty vagus nerve acting out.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

Papyrus4 HB User

THanks OG and Rebel,
I have been wondering about my vagus nerve too. I have another problem where, if I lean over doing yardwork, I get tons of irregular heartbeats for about a week afterwards, with much more of these other funky feelings. I was even thinking maybe I had a sliding hiatal hernia. I was thinking when I lean over, it slips up into my chest, and maybe that causes all my problems.
About the PACs...... I know for sure when I get a PVC....it really thumps me hard in the chest and I can feel an irregular pulse, but the PACs......can you feel those in your pulse?
Do you think some of us have had reflux so bad that we have eroded our esophoguses permanently, and it might be in the area of our vagus nerve, so that it just is irritated all the time now from just eating or pressure?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papyrus4 View Post
THanks OG and Rebel,
I have been wondering about my vagus nerve too. I have another problem where, if I lean over doing yardwork, I get tons of irregular heartbeats for about a week afterwards, with much more of these other funky feelings. I was even thinking maybe I had a sliding hiatal hernia. I was thinking when I lean over, it slips up into my chest, and maybe that causes all my problems.
About the PACs...... I know for sure when I get a PVC....it really thumps me hard in the chest and I can feel an irregular pulse, but the PACs......can you feel those in your pulse?
Do you think some of us have had reflux so bad that we have eroded our esophoguses permanently, and it might be in the area of our vagus nerve, so that it just is irritated all the time now from just eating or pressure?
Yes, I can feel the PACs in my pulse. If I can concentrate on it! But others can feel it.

I don't think I have a bad esophagus (yet). I've heard that just a bit of irritation might irritate the vagus nerve. But I also wonder if alot of this is actually the fault of the vagus nerve, and not a "weak sphincter". Still could be, but also wonder if the vagus is sending bad signals that open the sphincter inappropriately. Just as it is given as the main reason for my gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach - nerve doesn't work right). Funny how all this shows up at the very same time - non-moving stomach, heart palps, and too-nervous sphincter!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
(female)

Papyrus4 HB User

Hi again,
I have fibromyalgia too (whatever that ends up being), and I have alot of funky symptoms, which have made me wonder about various wrong nervous signals being sent.
No one has ever said that a beta blocker works for fibromyalgia, but since I quit mine, alot of my symptoms have returned. Makes me wonder if my sympathethic system is in over-drive.
I just wish there were doctors who liked to think outside-the-box about some of these things. Many docs seem to say "Oh, that's not happening" only because they haven't really spent any time thinking about it.
I haven't had heartburn in a long time, but I guess its possible to have some irritation without heartburn. I have to confess that for several years, I have been drinking a coke in the morning (barely 8 ounces). Its the only way I can get any energy with my fibromyalgia. But it NEVER caused any heartburn for me, strangely enough. But I do wonder if the caffeine and the acid have done a number on the lower esophogus, or if it has somehow irritated the vagus.
Maybe some of us just have really close-to-the-surface nerves and our vagus is too close to all those things we eat and drink??
Lots to think about! It does get frustrating, though, trying to figure this stuff out without more knowledge about it, and without any docs helping.
I'm sure I have some gastroparesis too. I just never pursued it with my GI doc, because I hate all those tests. About 9 years ago I did have an upper endoscopy which was clear, in spite of incredible burning.
But later on, I spent 7 months sleeping upright in a chair, because I had such pressure in my epigastric/chest area. That's when I went on the aciphex and beta blocker. I thought what helped me was the aciphex, but now I'm thinking it was the beta blocker, somehow.
Sure would nice to be normal someday!
I'm pretty sure this feeling in my chest isn't PACs. I'm having a colonscopy in the next few weeks and it will be interesting to see if the doc finds something living in my transverse colon.
It is curious that this stuff happens in clusters of symptoms.
I don't think its possible for the heart muscle to have a twitch, without causing an irregular beat, but that's what it feels like.
Have you ever had buzzing anywhere else in your body? Alot of folks with fibromyalgia (myself included) have alot of buzzing feelings in various parts of our bodies. Maybe that is related to some of the "false-signal" stuff you mentioned. Are we having fun yet??

Closed Thread