It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
(male)

buildingmaint HB User
Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication surgery.

I can't find any current threads about this surgery. Has any one here had it ? How successful was it? My PCP told me this might be the only cure for my GERD that is giving me pneumonia now. I have been through all of heart burn /PPI'S nothing helps. It has been 7 years since I was diagnosed with GERD. Some PPI'S work for a little while but then quit. Tried the apple cider vinegar with the mother for 6 weeks and could not stand all of the acid indigestion .I can reflux water , PPI'S ,tums that is how bad my reflux is .Can any one help shed some light on this surgery.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
(male)

christopher1mil HB User
Re: Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication surgery.

I am also seriously considering the surgery.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-09-2007 at 09:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

It seems the procedure is a more common option in Aust. than the US. I suspect the drug companies like it that way. Make no mistake, the PPIs are bad news and Nexium is the worst of the lot.
I am taking Somac 80 mg daily (I think it's called Protinix in US) and its sideeffects are milder, but I still cannot exercise and have to put up with this soul destroying diet.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-09-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
(female)

kathleen345 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher1mil View Post
It seems the procedure is a more common option in Aust. than the US. I suspect the drug companies like it that way. Make no mistake, the PPIs are bad news and Nexium is the worst of the lot.
I am taking Somac 80 mg daily (I think it's called Protinix in US) and its sideeffects are milder, but I still cannot exercise and have to put up with this soul destroying diet.
Hi Christopher. I'm new to this board and have been on Nexium for many months. I'm definitely still having problems, seeing doctors, getting tests. Could you be more specific about the problem with PPI's and Nexium specifically? I don't want to make things worse, and I'm considering surgery as well.
Thanks for the info

Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I seriously considered one. I also have breathing complications from my reflux. However, my GI doctor swayed me away from it, saying he has never had a patient have one that wasn't back on meds within the year, and that recovery from it can be rough.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Old 05-14-2007, 01:16 AM   #6
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

Dear Kathleen, for a start, Nexium seems to cause constipation and give me acute abdominal pain, burning sinuses and headaches. And as well as that, it hasn't worked!

The GI cited in blondy's last post has ignored most research findings that fundoplication is successful in over 90 % of cases!

There are no studies measuring the long term use of either Nexium or Somac. However, one study on rats showed that 98% developed displasia (pre-cancerous) after continuous exposure to the drug. Significantly, the makers of both protinix and nexium will not guarantee the drug after 12 months.

In my view, if the problem is mechanical - that is, due to a weak sphincter - then surgery should be seriously considered. I am meeting a surgeon (consultation first) to get such an evaluation made. Ph testing, manometry, impedance testing might all be considered.

I wish you the best of luck, Kathleen. We do not deserve to suffer like this and everyone's situation is different.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
(male)

buildingmaint HB User

I've asked my Gastro doc's about prolonged use of PPI'S and why the drug companies say not for long term use and should not be used longer then 3 months. They just prescribe more and more PPI'S ,if one doesn't work take two , if two doesn't work take three and so on . I don't think they know what to do if the PPi drugs don't work.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-16-2007 at 09:09 AM. Reason: peer sharing only - please read the posting policy

Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

I had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery 4 months ago, and it was the best thing I have ever done!!! I had GERD and a hiatal hernia. And the constant reflux ended up burning my esphagus and vocal cords. So my Dr highly recommended getting the surgery to take care of it. I won't lie though, the surgery itself and recovery were hard. I was in the hospital 4 days, and the first 2 days after surgery you have to have a GI tube in. It's a tube that goes in your nose, and down into your stomach to pump the acid out until you are allowed to start eating and drinking again. That was pretty gross and it kind of confined you to bed for those 2 days. And then I was allowed to start eating jello. And then 5 days after surgery, I was allowed to go to soft pliable foods, like yogurt, pudding, broth, stuff like that. And it took probably a good 5-6 weeks before I was eating mostly normal things again. But I still had to chew my food really well. And even now, if I don't chew well, I notice it feels like it get's stuck still, which is normal after the surgery. So having said all that, I wouldn't recommend rushing into the surgery unless you have tried everything else. Because it is a major surgery, with a long recovery. But if you truely need it and are in pain and need help, then I would say go for it. I truely have such a better quality of life now since having it done. You don't realize how much it controls your life until you don't have to deal with it anymore. But if you have any other questions, just ask...I'd be happy to answer what I can. Take care!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I was told that PPIs should be avoided long term due to the increased risk for pneumonia (due to gastric acid not being available to kill of bacteria that can enter they trachea). That being said, reflux in and of itself increases one's risk for pneumonia.

Also, long term use of PPIs increases one's risk for osteoporesis and fractures. Calcium is best absorbed in an acidic environment.

Further, the risk for food poisoning is increased- hydrocloric acid isn't there to kill off microbes in food.

I'm sure that you understand that multiple PPIs shouldn't use used together, however, H2-receptor blockers can be added, or prokinetics, or in my case, antiemetics.

Christopher- can you point me in the right direction for this research that states a 90% success rate? I'm especially interested in knowing what "success" is defined as. If I get 2 weeks sans meds, that's not worth it. 11 months isn't worth it, if I spend 6 weeks recovering.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Last edited by moderator2; 05-16-2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: peer sharing only - please read the posting policy

Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

What is successful? Well, for me it would be the ability to live medication free and to eat and drink with fewer restrictions. We do not know about the long term consequences of taking PPIS so it's a gamble either way. As someone else posted, get all the information and make an informed decision.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-16-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: posting any kind of information to find websites is cause to be banned - search instructions included.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #11
(male)

scott1360 HB User

What are the success rates for this surgery/procedure?

The success rate for the minimally invasive surgery is 90 to 95 percent for patients who have the typical symptoms of GERD, such as heartburn, regurgitation, or belching. For those whose with less typical symptoms, including hoarseness and chronic cough, the surgery is about 70 to 80 percent effective at relieving their symptoms.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-16-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
(female)

kathleen345 HB User

Christopher...does the surgery you're talking about fix a hiatal hernia as well? I mean, are they able to fix the problem with the spincters and the hernia at the same time with laporoscopy?

I'm pretty interested in it. My Gi said (upon doing a endoscope) that my hernia was very small and shouldn't be causing any problems, and wouldn't recommend surgery. I'm thinking, "Well what in the world is causing the pressure, bloating, belching and all the rest?" Obviously even a small one is a problem for me...so I'm considering the surgery.

Thanks for your replies and time.
Kathleen in CA

Old 05-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

Hi Kathleen,
I'm treading a fine line with the mods so I can't give any websites or even search suggestions. However, I have heard of other people getting both surgery for the esophagus and hiatal hernia.

I am not an expert, but if you're still getting acid, everything should be considered. I really wish you all the best.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
(female)

lam41565 HB User

My Husband Had This Surgery About 6 Years Ago And It Worked Wonderfully. He Was In The Hospital For A Few Days And Off Work For About A Week. He Actually Went Back To Work Earlier Than He Was Supposed To. Only Has 3 - 1/2-1" Scars Where The Incisions Were Made. He Had Esophagus Erosion For Quite Some Time And The Meds Wouldn't Help Anymore So He Had This Done. He Very Rarely Gets Indigestion Anymore And When He Does He Just Takes A Prilosec. Nothing Compared To The Pain He Used To Be In. He Used To Think He Was Having A Heart Attack. Hope This Helps!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

andilyn HB User

Kathleen,

I had a hiatal hernia at the time I had the fundoplication, and they fixed it all at the same time.

Closed Thread