It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

ArwenE HB User
Question Pregnancy with GERD?

I have only had this horrible issue for the past couple of months...
My Drs say it's fine to go ahead and try to get pregnant & take Nexium etc & it would be fine if I get pg. I have been trying natural remedies to no avail as yet but am afraid of the effect Nexium might have on me or a baby.

Anyone with any experience of this disease in pregnancy? Any input appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: Pregnancy with GERD?

Hi, my own GE doctor wants me off Nexium or any PPIs if I'm going to be pregnant. Since I am trying to get pregnant now, I have ramped down to get off them.

I will say IMHO he is just being very cautious. The truth is basically no drug is tested on pregnant women, so noone really knows! I myself think PPIs are too inocuous to actually be bad for the baby, but I'm going along with the doctor mainly because I'm an "old woman" who's never been pregnant before. I'm risky enough for the baby being "old" so I figure I'll be cautious as he is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My GERD/LPR started with my pregnancy.. I ate som much tums I was constipated to no end.. I finally admitted my problem, was laughed at and told to take pepcid AC or tagament HB (pardon on the spellinf error if there is one). Babies are give tagament for early reflux issues and it would cause no ill side effects. This was cross checked with five OB's before following. They say reflux amplifies with pregnancy and if you will get any sleep at all late in the pregnancy you have to treat it.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
(female)

ArwenE HB User

Thanks ladies.
I started the Nexium today...hopefully it will help quickly. I think I will wait to try for #2 until I have this horrible condition under control.

Closed Thread