It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
(male)

Stop Snitching HB User
Confused, Stomach problems every day

I am 16 years old. Heres what happens. When i was 14 i fell in love with orange juice. I drank about 4 glasses a day. By the time i was 15 all the acid from it has given me Acid Reflux problems, my doctor diagnosed me with acid reflux.

My parents did nothing about it, but yell at me and blame it on my irregular eating habits. (I dont eat what my parents eat. They eat ethinic food which i think is disghusting). They always tell me if i ate what they ate i wouldnt have theese problems.

Back on topic. It seems like every day i get theese wierd burps that taste absolutely disghusting. They will go on a whole day. I am guessing they are related to my acidity problems. If i drink milk to try and lower the acid level i will get diahrhea(alot of the time). But when i dont have the nasty burps and i drink milk iam fine.

The burps that come up, i dont know what they are called but they are related to my acid reflux. When they come up they taste so nasty its not funny. I dont get stomach pain or gas problems when this happens though. I sometimes take pepto bismol for it, but it turns my stools black.

So what is this nasty burping stuff, and what can naturally lower acid levels in the stomach.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
(male)

hp8 HB User
Re: Confused, Stomach problems every day

Go out and buy low acid orange juice. I'm not crazy about orange juice but I do drink Allens low acid apple juice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
(female)

Papyrus4 HB User

How is the rest of your diet? Try to eat alot less carbs and sugar. Too many carbs in some of us can sort of ferment and then everything stops, and you end up with a sour stomach.
Read up on the foods that people with GERD should avoid and try to keep to that for awhile.
Also, if you are overweight, try to lose a little weight. Don't ever lie down for at least several hours or do heavy lifting after you eat.
Try not to get into the habit of taking Tums, Rolaids, Pepto, etc. You can really mess up your electrolytes.
Try to eat healthily and I'll bet it helps with your burps.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Did you have a doctor say this to you?

I somehow doubt this is because of "too much orange juice".

Unless you are naturally very "weak", your gut is made to withstand MUCH worse than this, every day. Your stomach produces acids to digest food much stronger than any "acidic" thing you would put in it. Sometimes even these get out to your esophagus. It takes quite alot to even hurt your esophagus.

The weaker acidity of oranges, etc, would most assuredly not hurt your esophagus in themselves.

You may have simply developed a weak sphincter, or some other issue, that's putting too much of that strong stomach acid up your esophagus. Orange juice wouldn't do it.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
(male)

Stop Snitching HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papyrus4 View Post
How is the rest of your diet? Try to eat alot less carbs and sugar. Too many carbs in some of us can sort of ferment and then everything stops, and you end up with a sour stomach.
Read up on the foods that people with GERD should avoid and try to keep to that for awhile.
Also, if you are overweight, try to lose a little weight. Don't ever lie down for at least several hours or do heavy lifting after you eat.
Try not to get into the habit of taking Tums, Rolaids, Pepto, etc. You can really mess up your electrolytes.
Try to eat healthily and I'll bet it helps with your burps.
Nope, im not overweight. Im 130 LBS and i play Free Safety on my schools football team. If i dont take pepto, what can i use to keep the diahrhea away but keep the acid low also.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

I would suggest trying some digestive enzymes. You'll find this at any Health Food Store. Acid Reflux is actually too much acid and not enough digestive enzymes to digest foods, especially acidic foods.

One example is Bromelain. It is a combination of pineapple and papaya. Take as directed on the bottle, usually 1-2 tablets with each meal.

Try to not drink liquids with your meals, this dilutes the digestive juices. An exception is diluted pure cranberry juice as it aids in digestion. Don't buy the stuff at grocery stores, get the pure cranberry concentrate at the HFS and dilute it to suit your taste. You can sweeten it a little. Up to 1 small glassful can be consumed with the meal.

Food intolerances can also be a contributing factor. Try to note what foods, drinks seem to bother you a few hours after a meal.

If you get frequent diarrhea, add a good quality Probiotic (Acidolphilus) for the digestive tract. The enteric coated is the best as it survives the stomach and gets into the intestines before dissolving, thus doing a better job. Take as needed until diarrhea ceases. You can even take this everyday for healthy intestinal flora.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Closed Thread