It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
(female)

babyin2006 HB User
GERD in infants

Anyone here with a baby with GERD. I've been on the infant care board and didn't get much response. My 6 month old son has been diagnosed with acid reflux. he has been having this since 2 months. HE is on Prevacid 15mg daily.

Feeding him is a challenge; he drinks very little and spits up often. Please let me know if anyone on this board has an infant with acid reflux.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
(female)

Laura51 HB User
Re: GERD in infants

I don't have a baby with GERD but I have cared for alot of little ones with GERD. I know they eat slowly and spit up alot. Also, after feeding they need to be up in an infant seat to prevent other problems. Good luck with your little one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

You should consider a Probiotic for your baby rather than medication. Find a health food store and look for a Probiotic for infants. It does exist. You should look for one that has more Bifidobacteria than Lactobacillis. Doctors never recommend Probiotic for patients both infants and adults but rather drugs. I had a severe case of Acid Reflux and resolved the problem with a powerful Probiotic. An all natural approach is safer than medication for both children and adults. Kefir (cousin to the yogurt) is also a Probiotic. You may want to consider this along with the Probiotic. Kefir can be purchased in the dairy section of your supermarket.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My son has had GERD off and on since birth. We did the prevacid and it helped some.. milk o mag and milanta.. a little in each bottle seemed to work the best. He had food allergies and bad colic. We have run the gauntlet getting things to settle out. You just have to be open, keep good notes and vary things one at a time to see what makes things better and worse.

Best of luck.
Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

ArwenE HB User

Yes my daughter had reflux so bad that I had to force feed her every drop...it took me 5 hours a day to feed her 16 ounces of formula.
Around 8 months or so she began to outgrow it.
We were able to stop the Prevacid not long after that.
It seemed like forever though...
I was fortunate, because unlike most babies with reflux she was a good sleeper (at night anyway).
She threw up A LOT... So much that it ruined our brand new carpet (we were dumb enough to get ivory carpet but that was before she was born & had never even heard of reflux in an infant.
As long as your son is gaining weight (my daughter was slow to gain but is now a very healthy 3 year old)... then you should be able to ride the reflux out. I read so much on the subject back then & I saw that most kids outgrow it by 12 months, many at 6 months etc...
Now that he sould be starting/increasing solid food, that should help matters as well.
I wish you LOTS of luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NVD HB User

Hello!! My first recommendation is to get your son to a pediatric gastroenterologist.

My almost five year old daughter had severe type 1 Acid reflux--Nearly four times worse than most adults who suffer from reflux, and was diagnosed at 2 months. She never spit up much, but it would cause her to aspirate, and stop breathing. This was at two months old. At three months old, she had her first anti-reflux surgery, after being on meds, and still aspirating. The Nissen Fundoplication is supposed to be a one time deal. It helped for nearly a year, and now at five years old, she possibly is going to need her NINTH surgery, and her sixth re-do fundoplication (three dilation surgeries)! I highly, highly recommend you finding a good gastroenterologist, and try anything and everything you can, and DO NOT let them push you into the surgery, unless everything else has been tried.
It doesn't sound like your son's is as severe, so hopefully surgery will never have to be an option.

Some things that we tried before her surgery was to thicken up the feeds. (She was nursed, so it made it kind of hard) When she had a bottle, we would put rice cereal in it, to where it was almost like a formula/breastmilk milkshake. Or, there is a formula for acid reflux...I think it's Enfamil AR.
We also put a wedge under her mattress, so she would sleep inclined.
Instead of feeding large meals, we would let her take sips all throughout the day.

Anyway, this hits close to home, so if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me. Good luck to your little man, it's no fun!! Hang in there,
Amber

Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
(female)

JackieM67 HB User

My son had it up until around 5-6 mos old.

Closed Thread