It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
(male)

paul_hest HB User
Prilosec OTC

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with LPRD and the doctor told me to buy some Prilosec OTC. On the package insert it says not to use for more than 14 days, but the doctor says I'll need to wait several weeks for the symptoms to wane.

Is it ok to keep taking Prilosec OTC until my symptoms wane? What are the risks if I keep taking it?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
(male)

buildingmaint HB User
Re: Prilosec OTC

Ask your Doctor why he is telling you to go against the drug makers dose recommendations. Ask him or her why they know more about the drug they prescribed you then the makers of the drug. Ask them why the drug maker found it a necessity place these restrictions on the drug.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Paul,
Prilosec has been on the market for a long time.
Prilosec was developed years ago (1992) by AstraZeneca and when it came off patent in 2003 or4 they developed a slightly different PPI -- Nexium. And they contracted with Proctor & Gamble to distribute the Prilosec OTC medication by the same name.

Prilosec use to be called the purple pill but then Nexium was called the the other purple pill. As you know Prilosec OTC is a tablet but works just as well as the older purple capsules.

Many studies have been done on the long term use of Proton Pump Inhibitors like Prilosec with no real bad side effects.
My wife has been takng Prilosec for 8 years.

I think it's OK to take Prilosec OTC as long as you want!

You can also get the generic Prilosec by prescription in capsule form --- the name is Omeprazole.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

the reason it says to not use for more than 14 days is a generic recommendation to avoid people from self-diagnosing and taking the drug without a proper diagnosis from a doctor. It prevents liability for the drug company. Prilosec OTC is a slightly different version of the prescription version which is used for long-term treatment. Many people take Prilosec OTC every day. It isn't strong enough for me which is why I take a different prescription medicine.

Closed Thread