It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

Donna K HB User
Increase in acid reflux after weight loss or diet change

I wonder if anyone one else is suffering from acid reflux after weight loss. I never had a problem with reflux until I changed my diet last September in an attempt to lower my cholesterol. After losing about 20 pounds I noticed that I was experiencing a lot of indigestion. I'm not sure if its the weight loss or the low-fat, high-fiber diet I was following that caused the reflux. The indigestion was so bad that I saw a gastro doctor who sent me for a sonogram which revealed that I had gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed in January. Reflux symptoms still continue. My gastro doctor doesn't see any sign of reflux on any of the testing he has done (upper GI, endoscopy, CT) yet I have all the symptoms. Anyone else out there having the same problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Re: Increase in acid reflux after weight loss or diet change

Stop with the high fiber, your probably noticing alot of gas in your stomach (especially when waking up in the morning). In my opinion it's pressing up against your stomach and causing reflux. Eliminate the pressure and your reflux will eventually go away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

You are not alone same thing has happened to me. Here's a link to my post.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=487416[/url]

Old 05-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

IamNancy HB User

My acid reflux started after I lost 33 pounds on a low fat low calorie diet... I was never sure if there was a connection to the diet or not... I had the scope done and have GERD and Barretts... Did the diet somehow make the symptoms appear?
I am on zegerid twice a day now and am doing much better.

Last edited by IamNancy; 05-15-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
(male)

Frodoh HB User

I think it is quite possible. I also think it may have something to do with the autonomic nervous system and changes in how it's handling blood pressure, heart rate and other such things at your new lower weight - but this is sheer speculation and not to be taken seriously as a real medical opinion.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #6
(male)

christopher1mil HB User

I think that is highly likely. I also lost weight (diet) and the symptoms became more obvious. However, the disease was already present as indicated by discolorisation on the roof of the mouth and tongue before dieting. The doctors just simply failed to recognise the symptoms.
Abdominal pressure and exercise might also make the latent symptoms more obvious.

One point to consider (and hopefully dismiss) is gluten intolerance or coeliacs disease. My diet was high fibre (and wheat based) and I won't be satisfied until I am cleared during my next endoscopy.

Neddy has advocated a low carb diet and he might be pointing to the solution for some people on the forum. I still think the way to go is surgery (especially for refractory reflux), although I would definitely check for food intolerances as well.

It's both a pity and frustrating. We take actions that should improve our health (exercise, lose weight, eat high fibres, diet), but the changes actually cause our health to deteriorate.

Last edited by christopher1mil; 05-15-2007 at 11:55 PM.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
(female)

tlily HB User

I have to agree with the weight loss and reflux. I think there is a corralation somehow. I to lost 30 pounds on the south beach diet and was feeling great. Then it began...sever reflux for over a year. All test were fin Had two scopes from two doctors a month a part. I am on Nexium 40mg. It is better than last year but I have symptoms daily.

I will be going to the doc again monday because it feels like it is getting more intense again. this is so hard to live with.

Closed Thread