It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
(female)

CHALUPA HB User
Unhappy What Is This Really Lpr Or Gerd

Hi,
I have been suffering for 11 months now. These are my problems:
-shortness of breath
-upper abdomen bloating
-tight feeling in throat
-sometimes feeling like somthing is in my throat
-coughing wich burns
-now pain sometimes on my right side
I woke up this way in june of last year, never had heart burn a day in my life. I was on a diet weight watchers when this happened and doing very well. I was eating healthy and then all this started. I have been on every reflux med there is and nothing seems to help. I have had every test done and all they see is a small haital hernia, some reflux, no problem with esophogus, severe gastriris, and a fold in the duedenum.
IF ANYBODY CAN HELP PLEASE!!!

Last edited by CHALUPA; 05-15-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Please Help With Lpr And Gerd

Could the fold be causing some blockage? If you have some duodenal obstruction from the fold I could see where it may cause the symptoms you are experiencing. If the stomach has a difficult time pushing the food down thru a narrowed outlet then it's likely to cause problems in the stomach and above the stomach. I guess it would be a matter of opinion from your doctor if this could be what's going on. It might be worth get a second or third opinion since you've been suffering for a while now. I would guess that surgery would be required if that was actually what was causing the problem. The meds would only help to protect you from the harmful effects of the acids that are refluxed out of the stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

HI red
I am not sure it is not floded in half it has folds in it like a curtin. I think he says might mean celiacs but that wouldn't cause all of my other syptoms. I hopefully am geeting the results tonight from the endoscopy. I can't take this anymore.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

the3amigos HB User

Hi,

I can kind of relate with u. I had a cough that burned for the last 2 years. Abd bloating as always because i have ibs. Plus heaviness in the chest. I also kept getting sinusitis and ear infections. I was eing Dx'ed as post nasal drip that what was causing the cough. After 2 years and the last bad case of sinusitis I went to a ENT cause the cough was worse and rapid I couldnt even sleep at night. And affecting my voice. The ent Dx'ed me with GERD and chronic Sinusitis. I went for a Swallowing study and yes it was GERD with Dysphagia. The cough went on so long mis dignosed I now have damaged to my left vocal cord and my voice has changed. I do watch what I eat to try and control it.
My point is. Who would ever thought a cough was acid reflux! I am in the medical field and never heard that and never ever had heart burn.
Just keep getting second opinions until u r happy with the results. God Bless

Old 05-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

I HAVE GONE FOR ABOUT 6 DIFFERENT OPINIONS and they are all looking at me and saying i am not sure. So far they are saying acid reflux and then lpr. But if it is either why am i on so much meds for so long and they don't work. I have been on ppi's now for 11 months. Up until this happened i never had one once of heart burn. I feel all these ppi's are making the acid worse and maybe it is not that. Now the new docter thinks it is my gallblader. But i had the hid scan and my gallblader is 36% so i think that is okay. He feels that maybe it is bile coming from the gallblder into the stomach and up causing all of this. But he said he needs to wait till the biopsy comes back now he is saying friday.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

Chalupa and I have the same exact symptoms.... I swear this is insane that reflux can cause this much oain in life. I feel everyday like I will stop breathing and now my cehst is hurting.
What else can be done? I take a million ant acids I should be acid free!
I'm so fed up!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Unfortunately, Ant-acids will only make your acid reflux worse. It's not a matter of too much stomach acid, rather it's not enough digestive enzymes.

Get a good quality digestive enzyme at the health food store. They'll be able to show you one that's effective. Also, to help balance out the digestive tract get an enteric-coated probiotic (acidolphilus). This coating allows the probiotic to get through the stomach before it is dissolved and allowed to fill your intestines with healthy, live acidolphilus bacteria. Also, increase fiber in your diet and stay close to the lower glycemic carbohydrates (veggies and fruits) and limit sugar and caffeine intake.

Sugar depletes the body of nutrients and lowers the immune system. You need to eat as healthy as possible and increase the digestive enzymes so you can digest foods properly, then when the digested foods get down in your intestines, the acidolphilus and fiber will take care of elimination. BTW, always drink plenty of water with a higher fiber intake.

While you should not drink liquids with a meal, (they dilute the digestive juices and cause poor digestion) you can drink pure, diluted cranberry juice as it actually aids in digestion. You can get some Cranberry Concentrate at the HFS and dilute it so suit your taste. It also acts as a mild diuretic to prevent any bloating.

This is probably more than you wanted to know but it is all tied together to get and maintain good digestion throughout the whole digestive tract. I hope it helps curb your acid reflux.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonflower1116 View Post
Unfortunately, Ant-acids will only make your acid reflux worse. It's not a matter of too much stomach acid, rather it's not enough digestive enzymes.

Get a good quality digestive enzyme at the health food store. They'll be able to show you one that's effective. Also, to help balance out the digestive tract get an enteric-coated probiotic (acidolphilus). This coating allows the probiotic to get through the stomach before it is dissolved and allowed to fill your intestines with healthy, live acidolphilus bacteria. Also, increase fiber in your diet and stay close to the lower glycemic carbohydrates (veggies and fruits) and limit sugar and caffeine intake.

Sugar depletes the body of nutrients and lowers the immune system. You need to eat as healthy as possible and increase the digestive enzymes so you can digest foods properly, then when the digested foods get down in your intestines, the acidolphilus and fiber will take care of elimination. BTW, always drink plenty of water with a higher fiber intake.

While you should not drink liquids with a meal, (they dilute the digestive juices and cause poor digestion) you can drink pure, diluted cranberry juice as it actually aids in digestion. You can get some Cranberry Concentrate at the HFS and dilute it so suit your taste. It also acts as a mild diuretic to prevent any bloating.

This is probably more than you wanted to know but it is all tied together to get and maintain good digestion throughout the whole digestive tract. I hope it helps curb your acid reflux.
thank you so much i think i not only have gerd but i have lpr. My throat feels like someone is choking me. I am now cutting down on the ppi's to see what happens. How much acidolphilus can i take in one day. Can i open the capsule and put it in water, i have a hard time swallowing that pill.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

Each brand of Probiotic (acidolphilus) has it's own recommended dosage. The brand I use (Advanced Probiotic-enteric coated) lists 3.5 billion microorganisms and recommends a dosage of 1 capsule per day. I would feel safe taking twice that much to begin with for a week or so. I've really not heard of any warnings about taking too much acidolphilus but you want to use it within reason.

Opening the enteric-coated capsule would defeat it's purpose of getting it through the digestive tract and down into the intestine before it begins to dissolive. If you did open it and mix with a liquid you would have to be sure that you eat nothing before taking it and wait at least 30 minutes after ingesting before eathing anything. This would give it time to pass through the stomach. You want as much as possible to get down into the intestines, not to get digested in the stomach.

There are probiotics that are not enteric-coated that require refrigeration and come in capsules. You might look into finding a good-quality product along that line. I don't know if they're as strong but the label will tell you.

BTW, there's several types of digestive enzymes that can be chewed or dissolved in the mouth, not swallowed whole. Just be sure to get a good brand for maximum effectiveness. The one I use is a somewhat large pill, but I can take up to 3 a meal, if needed. Because of my intolerance to citric acid I've not been able to take the chewable kind.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by Sonflower1116; 05-18-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
(male)

HRH HB User

The best L. acidophilus I have used is Pearls by Enzymic Therapy--

Old 05-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
(female)

kathleen345 HB User

Just a note--I've tried plant-based enzymes that didn't help me at all. But I just bought some stronger ones with HCI, pepsin and all the other good strong enzymes in it. Most brands have a mix called something like superzymes. I took 2 last night a little bit before dinner, and it was the first night in a long time I didn't have pressure and uncomfortable bloating after dinner. I really didn't expect them to work (since nothing has), so I was really surprised. Give it a try Chalupa, it could help to make you more comfortable while you're waiting on doctors and tests. I'm still going to have the 24hr ph test done soon, to confirm if I'm refluxing or not. But in the meantime it's great to have some relief. There's also a good book I'm reading about why stomach acid is good for you. You guys can look it up on any online bookstore. I'm going to post this on the main page too.
Kathleen in Ca

Last edited by kathleen345; 05-19-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #12
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

Hi everyone i am curoius is it okay to take mylanta to stop the stomach bloating. I am now cutting the aciphex to every other day and on the other days taking pepcid complete 4 a day and mylanta when needed.
WHAT DO YOU THINK.
ALSO WHY DOES MY TOUNGE FEEL SWALLON?????

Old 05-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
(female)

kathleen345 HB User

Chalupa that might give you temporary relief. But I would sure try the digestive enymes I was talking about with every meal to see if you get any relief. It helps to digest your food for you, so you're not left with that awful bloating sensation and full throat feeling. Also see if your doctor can squeeze you in sooner, it sounds like you're really suffering.
Kathleen

Old 05-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #14
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

hI KATHLEEN234,
My docter's office called me to tell me the the biopsy was all negative. I guess it is still lpr and gerd. But what i can't understand is how i woke up this way and all the meds don't work. He also said last time he spoke with me that he want's to take out my gallblader. I am not sure about that because everything i heard that people get worse afterwards. I am going to go tomorrow to the health food store to get some of those enzymes. I have cultural in the house wich is esophodufulus(sorry spelt wrong). I am not sure if that is good enough. I just want this all to be over so i can get pregnant.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

I wentr today and bought a multi-enzyme but i am not sure if it is the right one this is what is in it-
pancreatin-protease
amylase
lipase
bataine hci
amylase
protease
pepsin from porcine
pepsin from papaya
oxibile extract from bovine
lipase
bromelain from pinappeple
cellulase
dicalcium phosphate
stearic acid
microcrystalline cellulose
magnesium stearate
silicon dioxide
pharmaceutical glaze
Sorry for all the ingredients i just wanted to wright what was on the label. I am not sure if i bought the right one maybe you can let me no. Thanks, and do i have to ask my docter before taking them because i heard they can raise your blood pressure, but i am not sure.

Closed Thread