It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Chewing Gum

Does that help strengthen the muscles around the mouth/throat? I was told to chew gum often for this purpose. And make bubbles to strengthen the tongue etc. I've been choking on my food for about two years, and it was during those years I kept away from gum...I just grew tired of it. Could I have weakened my muscles in any way? I'm 30, but I do have some sort of nerve problem which effects my speech a bit. It has been stable for years - hasn't progressed. But I do have some sort of difficulty manuvering my food around my mouth...solid tough foods like steak, onions, peppers....I'm going for a esophagram in a mouth...any advice? The doc I went to (stomach doc) believes I don't have a serious problem though.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Re: Chewing Gum

I never heard of that but I do know that there are breathing excercises that strengthen you throat muscles, you can go to a speach therapist and they will teach you or search the web for them...
Its a method of breathing in quickly through your nose and making a long shhhhh sound out of your mouth ( I know that is one method , but there are a few).

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex12 View Post
I never heard of that but I do know that there are breathing excercises that strengthen you throat muscles, you can go to a speach therapist and they will teach you or search the web for them...
Its a method of breathing in quickly through your nose and making a long shhhhh sound out of your mouth ( I know that is one method , but there are a few).

Good Luck!
Hi Alex, thanks I think you mentioned this to me before. With work & just getting tired, I have forgotten to commit to this exercise on my own.

Actually, if I may ask, how do I go about selecting a speech therapist? Just looking in the yellow pages?

Also, I'm having an esophagram next month...will it be difficult for me? I do have a gag reflex and with my tense nerves I feel it might be difficult.

After talking to some people, I have heard stories...this one person had to actually have an operation to open the throat canal after choking on his food/water. And this other guy had acid reflex and it went away with nexium.

All this time I was thinking my issue to be more psychological than anything, but now I feel I might have a problem. I don't have health insurance, however I can afford to pay surgery if I need it, but I have to wait another 3 weeks for the esophagram, and I am going nuts. What is going on with me???

Last edited by CandP; 05-18-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

By far the best wayto find a speach therapist is by a referral , maybe from your ENT, or if you don't mind me asking what state you live in? Sometimes people are helped by having their esophagus stretched, this is done by your GI. You should not be choking on food for that long, they really have to do something for you.

I have not been having lick with the PPI's, by throat is still tight and my breathing is still bad.
Like you I just don't know whats going on with me.....
Is there anyway you could ask them to push up your endoscopy?

Take Care
Alex

Old 05-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Actually I too live in NJ but I'm in Staten Island all day for work & I'd prefer SI. I guess when I go to my GP after the exam for the results then I'll ask him for a speech therapist.

Well this problem came about very suddenlly after I choked on a hot dog and steak, all in a matter of weeks. After that it never went away, and I was just led to believe that I had to chew my food better and work on some exercises.

But I've noticed that I still feel that "food stuck" sensation in my throat after eating mushy things like french fries and even penne pasta. I hope my esopgagus can be stretched to alieviate this discomfort for me.

My esophagram is in June & I'm calling to see if there are any cancellations for something ealier. So far nothing. It really has started to interfere with my life. I just constantly feel like something is there. Only eating things like soup or yogurt I have no problems - only solid foods.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
(female)

kathleen345 HB User

Hey you guys, just wanted to let you know I went to the HFS and bought some strong digestive enymes with HCI, pepsin and lots of others. I took 2 before dinner, and it was the first night in a long time I didn't have any pressure under my diaphragm and that full feeling in my throat. I don't know if it will help you guys, but it's sure worth a try. It's great to get a little relief while I'm waiting for these tests to be done. There's a book on why stomach acid is good for you you can look up at any online bookstore. I just got it and so far it's pretty good. Of course, I still need to be checked out for refluxing issues, but if that's not happening, then I'll be convinced I actually don't have enough stomach acid to digest properly. Well take care,
Kathleen in CA

Closed Thread