It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Are you aware of your reflux events??????

I was just wondering how many of you can actually feel and hear your reflux events. I have in the past after eating a bunch of Mex food and salsa had what I would call classic heartburn symptoms. Waking in the middle of the night and could actually feel and hear the reflux as it happened. I have probably only had that happen 8 or 10 times in my life and it was usually an event that would persist for a day may two. I have been somewhat reluctent to agree with my Dr that what I'm currently experiencing is actually reflux because I'm not having so called classic symptoms. I do have some pain that could very well be related to GERDS but the Dr has not done any testing to confirm this is the case. So I wondered how many of you experience so called classic symtoms and how many of you have reflux but are not actually aware of the event? Thanks......Red

Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User
Re: Are you aware of your reflux events??????

Hi, In my case - I have a plethora of symptoms with lots of chest pain and foamy white saliva (water-brash) but I never have the classic 'surge' of reflux
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I thought I was, then my pH studies showed I was refluxing all the time I thought I was, but also at other times too.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Old 05-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
(male)

scott1360 HB User

sometimes I feel it when I burp that there is stuff actually coming up. However, my chest hurts constantly so it must be happening more often I guess.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Well it seems that the only way to know for sure is to have some testing done. Hopefully I'll find a new Primary Care Dr. that will do something to confirm one way or the other. At this time I'm very disapointed in my current Dr. I just had a hernia surgery last Friday, turned out there was no hernia just a mass of fat. I guess thats a really a good thing but you would think they could determine what it was without opening you up. Thanks to everyone for their responses............Red.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I've asked this kind of question before!

I am VERY aware, or at least I'm convinced: my "reflux" is what I called "throat burps" or "silent burps".

These aren't normal burps (I've almost NEVER normal-burped in my life - would be too much like barfing). They are essentially silent (unless there's a major 1 in my chest), never causing me to open my mouth and let out alot of gas. Often I will feel something fibrillate down at my sternum as the "urp" sound comes, and most of the time the throat fibrillates too. I figure these are the lower and upper sphincters opening.

I'm positive this is my reflux event, because

a) it's NEVER happened nearly on this scale before I had a horrible episode that "started it all" 1.5 years ago. I always only "silent-burped" in my life, but never every single day, multiple times/day.
b) the more I "burp", the worse I feel, both stomach and throat. Fiery irritation results.

So I would say yes, I am very aware of when I reflux!

Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

Ol'Line Rebel, I think what you are describing is much like what I was refuring to as the so called Classic reflux event. I could both hear it and feel it. I have a difficult time describing it but I would picture it like a small water leak with a fine spray. I would not have any type of forceful belch or burp but you could feel pressure being released thru a very tight passage for a couple of seconds at a time and then you could feel the pain shortly afterward. If reflux is whats causing me the discomfort now I don't seem to actually notice the event when it happens and I don't seem to be bothered by it when I sleep.

Closed Thread