It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

mom2cole HB User
mornings worse?

Does anyone feel worse heartburn and just odd stomache feeling in the morning then gradually as day goes by feel a bit better? I have been diagnosed with reflux and gastritis found during endoscopy. I am on 40 mg protonix. Dr did say if not better would give me an RX for zantac to take at nite but I hate to take a bunch of meds and RX's, wondering if can just get some OTC of zantac to help for bit. Would I have to be on both forever too? uggg
I usually only have naseau and that is how diagnosed recently but now have the heartburnish feeling in mornings and burping more. I have been taking gaviscon b4 bed and I thought helping but now not really. Dr said gaviscon is ok. I never did put an incline on my bed like I have heard helps (tho never heard from DR himself on this but that dont mean nothing to me as seems you have to research and fix on own or just be on tons of meds). Maybe I should do that asap. HMMMMM
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 05-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
(male)

Frodoh HB User
Re: mornings worse?

I am the exact opposite. I get no reflux in the morning or during the day. ONLY at night. It's like clockwork. I can manage my reflux by eating the lion's share of my calories in the morning / day and then eating nothing or very little at night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

Tzu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cole View Post
Does anyone feel worse heartburn and just odd stomache feeling in the morning then gradually as day goes by feel a bit better?
Yes that's me. Sometimes as I'm waking up I can already feel pain (due to empty stomach and acid burning on it I assume?? .. Actually wakes me before my alarm sometimes) ... Most time as soon as I get up I have tea and the pain kicks in. Takes a few minutes to pass then settles for most of the day. Just been put onto an acid blocking drug for 4 weeks .. what relief after 2 weeks of taking! I have an hiatus hernia and sometimes acid comes up anytime of day or night and really burns .. now with the meds if it comes up into my throat on it's own .. it is very weak and no burning .. could stay on this drug forever .. but it's only for 4 weeks .. for now anyway. Oh and I can't think of anything worse than having my bed propped up at the top .. surely u end up sliding out the bottom lol. I know they say this helps . but I like to be horizontal to sleep

Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Morning sufferers.. do you all have allergies by chance? Night time PND agravates reflux and makes you symptoms worse middle of the night and early morning, do to the excess drainage stimulated acid production that has nothing to du but reflux and percolate.

That is my case and source. I keep my allergies treated and sleep apnea in control and the GERD/LPR takes care of itself.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
(female)

mom2cole HB User

Well so far so good with no falling off bed while inclined. LOL! I wondered how I would like it also and so far it doesnt bother me and I have fels a bit better in mornings.

Regarding Allergies, that is one thing that is different in my life for past 6 months or so I have had runny nose, sneezing and congestion and I never had allergies before. I take over the counter stuff when the worst but if it is affecting my Gerd I guess I need to clear it up fully huh? I am frustrated with this all and not sure where to turn. I thought I could just take the darn protonix and be all better but it comes and goes. Should I get an RX from my Dr for the allergies instead of OTC's? Is this the type of allergies you refer to and affects the Gerd or LPR? I thought I read about that before as I also get slight sore throat and have coughing periodically. Any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Ask your doctor about getting a script for Zyrtec-D or Zyrtec and tacke decongestants on the side.. add Nasonex too and you should have your allergies bases covered.

Best of luck.
MG

Zyrtec is better that the OTC stuff you can buy. Alleegra is also better the OTC med's and there is a generic in it.. however the generic doesn't do anything for me.. i have to stick to my zyrtec.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
(female)

mom2cole HB User

Thanks so much, I will look into this. I have seen the commercials for zyrtec and wondered about it.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

One thing worth trying is to elevate the head of your bed 4 to 6 inches so stomach acid does not flow up your throat while sleeping.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
(female)

Tzu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Morning sufferers.. do you all have allergies by chance? Night time PND agravates reflux and makes you symptoms worse middle of the night and early morning, do to the excess drainage stimulated acid production that has nothing to du but reflux and percolate.

That is my case and source. I keep my allergies treated and sleep apnea in control and the GERD/LPR takes care of itself.

Sincerely,
MG
I do have food intolerances (along with mild asthma). For example eggs give me severe diarrea .. cheese, brown chocolate, orange juice, strawberries and red wine gives me bad migrains .. often if I eat icecream for example on an empty stomach .. I'll end up in the loo. I'm always bloated and uncomfortable by evening. I do need to cut out sugar (have one in each cup of tea and drink about 6 cups a day) but I crave sugar .. so can't see that happening. Now I have been on lansoprazole 15mg for just on 2 weeks now .. it has d*****itely improved things .. ie no more pain in chest and also when acid comes up .. it is very dialuted .. so no burning .. however .. I was rather dismayed to discover yesterday and this morning .. the usual pain again on awakening .. I get the feeling this is a spasm due to taking in the first fluid of the day ie .. one mouthful of water or tea and it starts .. lasts for about 5 minutes .. then I'm fine for the rest of the day .. most annoying!

Closed Thread