It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
(male)

Zebadee HB User
bad breath is killing me - it's from the gut

I've been suffering from bad breath for around 1 year now, and it's starting to take over my life and dominate my everyday events. I try to avoid going out as much as possible and as I'm a teenager it's making me very depressed.

I live in the UK and have been getting treatment for different parts of my body that the GP thinks is causing the problem; fungilin for the mouth which didn't work, penicillin & metronidazole for the gut which worked for the duration of the course but the bad breath came back days later, corsodyl (mouth wash) which didn't work, domperidone for the stomach which didn't work and the latest which is heliclear, for the gut, which worked yet again but the bad breath has come back, I will explain why...

I used to smoke socially and it got worse, I started to become addictive. I had bad breath before I started smoking but it was just a minor sour/stale smell, now it's more like really burnt toast which is a weird smell. As I became more addicted (never more than 1 or 2 a day though) I noticed some sort of yellow substance was increasing on my tongue, it wasn't at the front of my tongue, it was nearer the back near my throat. The penicilin and heliclear cleared the yellow substance, and the heliclear cleared my bad breath therefore I now know smoking is a catalyst for my bad breath. However last weekend I sat next to a friend who started smoking, therefore the passive smoking must have activated the bad odour again and I realised the yellow substance had grown back on my tongue

I used to chew gum which used to work, however now it doesn't, the smell overrides the gum. Therefore I came to the conclusion the odour was from my gut, and seeing as the fungilin (for mouth) didn't work and the penicilin&metronidazone/heliclear worked, which is for the top of my gut, I knew it was from my gut and probably from the top of my gut as both medicines are mainly from the top of the gut. Even when the heliclear worked I still needed to drink water every 20/30 minutes to get rid of the smell, almost as if the water cleansed the mouth. I don't have dry mouth or eat dodgy foods so that isn't the cause.

My social life has decreased, I went to the oral department of the hospital and she gave me corsodyl, I tried to explain the odour was from my gut therefore the medicine obviously wouldn't work, but she said my teeth were normal and she couldn't do anything else.

This long hard process is starting to take it's toll and I'm eager to lead a normal life again, I'm stuck on ideas on what to do, I have appointments with my GP and he said he will book a time for the gastroenterologist to see my gut, but that will take another 6 months at least to see. Anything I can do in mean time or is there anyone who has had the same problem i.e. yellow tongue etc and know what this could specifically be? Is this down to the acid in my stomach or something else? Why did the smoking make the breath worse?

Many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
(female)

kathleen345 HB User
Re: bad breath is killing me - it's from the gut

Hang in there gooner. Sounds like you're doing all the right things so far by getting it all checked out. Have you considered doing a cleanse of some type? Like a bowel cleanse. There are so many to choose from, you can look in your vitamin shop or health food store. Talk to a knowledgable person working there about which one are good and gentle to the system. Then usually one would follow up with some good 'friendly bacteria' like acidophilus. They should be able to show you everything. It's worth a shot while you're waiting.
Kathleen in CA

Last edited by kathleen345; 05-20-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Greens may help. Stuff like chlorophyll, chlorella, alfalfa, barley, stuff like that. Greens help detox your body. I personally take chlorella. Also try a top quality probiotic to help fix your stomach. Garden of Life makes a good probiotic.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen345 View Post
Hang in there gooner. Sounds like you're doing all the right things so far by getting it all checked out. Have you considered doing a cleanse of some type? Like a bowel cleanse. There are so many to choose from, you can look in your vitamin shop or health food store. Talk to a knowledgable person working there about which one are good and gentle to the system. Then usually one would follow up with some good 'friendly bacteria' like acidophilus. They should be able to show you everything. It's worth a shot while you're waiting.
Kathleen in CA
Ok thanks, out of curiosity what does the bowel cleanse/other cleanses do?

I spoke to a private doctor who said the smell will not come from the gut because it is never left 'open', the only time it opens up is when you belch, therefore it is from the lungs. This information has totally lost me even more

Old 05-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Do you possibly have a chronic lung infection like bronchitis that you don't know about?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Not sure, I've had bad breath for 18 months but it has worsened over the past year, surely if I had something like bronchitis then I should have known by now?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
(female)

kathleen345 HB User

Well a bowel cleanse is good for the entire system, many experts say "you're only as healthy as your gut" etc. So it's probably beneficial for us all. I was just suggesting it since you felt it was from your gut.

But if the doctor feels it's from the lungs then why didn't he put you on antibiotics?! If it's some sort of low-lying infection then you need antibiotics. (Make sure when you're through with those that you eat lots of yogurt and/or take some acidophilus to replace the friendly bacteria that the antibiotics kill off). But for goodness sake, if he suggests that to you they should do something. Be very assertive with your doctors. They see so many patients, you need to let him know you mean business.
Take care,
Kathleen

Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
(female)

Trish17 HB User

I have had bad breath also, and was told it is usually sinus or oral hygeine needed. However, I saw a dentist on Friday, and mentioned my halitosis to him, and he said esophogitis can also cause bad breath. I've been on prevacid for a while. I had my teeth cleaned Friday, but the bad breath was active again today.

I'm trying acidopholus (sp?) and parsley everyday for a while. I hope this helps. I always wondered why tiny sprouts of parsley are so often on a plate when we go out to eat. Now I know!

Closed Thread