It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
(female)

swig HB User
help! Want to have baby and need off Nexium

Hello,

I have been on nexium for about three years. I have recently been trying to ween off of it because I want to try to have another child. I asked my obgyn what else I could take during pregnancy and he said Prilosec, prevacid or zantac. I looked them up and none of them say they are safe during pregnancy. In the mean time I have been trying to cut back on the Nexium to one every other day and I am experiencing terrible burning in my throat and chest. Any suggestions?

I don't want acid reflux to stop me from having another child!

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
(female)

Mainegirl HB User
Re: help! Want to have baby and need off Nexium

If your dr. said you can take them, you should be OK. The drug companies tell you to talk to your dr. because they don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong (you talked to your dr. and he said they were OK, etc..)...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

ArwenE HB User

My Dr said Nexium was okay during pregnancy. I don't understand why your doc would say Prevacid or Prilosec instead...they are the same category & class of drugs. Maybe you should ask your doc for his/her reasoning...

Old 05-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
(female)

swig HB User

Thanks, I 'll ask. Could you please tell me if you took Nexium while you were pregnant and if you took it the whole time.

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

You want to consider an all Natural Approach to Acid Reflux which is what I did. I take NSI Probiotic 15-35 which has 15 Strains/35 Billion Microorganisms (Good Bacteria) per two capsules. Visit your local health store and see if they have this or something similar. Give it a few weeks. Doctors are not familiar with Probiotics. Since taking it I no longer have gas, bloating, nervous stomach and constipation. It may or may not work for you both you won't know unless you've tried it. It's very inexpensive. Our local health store sells a lot ot it and has many different brands and dosages. The more Microorganisms and Strains the better. You should drink Kefir (cousin of yogurt) every day which is a Probiotic and very pleasant tasting and comes in various flavors. It's in the dairy section of your supermarket.

Last edited by Mike In NY; 05-23-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added additional information

Old 05-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
(female)

ArwenE HB User

I didn't have this issue when I was pregnant with my daughter. We were going to try for #2 when I started having problems so I talked to 3 docs about it (2 GPs & my OB)
I started with Nexium for a few days but am now on Prevacid.
I am still in some pain & having an endoscopy next week so I am waiting before trying.
Probiotics are good but I don't know how much they help reflux...

Old 05-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I was put on Pepcid Ac during my pregnancy.. it is just the older verion of prilosec and nexium. Nexium is a beta blocker, working in the stomach. Its effects as those of Prilosec and pepcid are localized and will not enter the blood stream and effect the child. Just do not exceed recommend dosages.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Nexium is NOT a Beta-blocker; those are for heart-type problems.

Nexium and Prevacid and Protonix, etc., are in the class "proton-pump inhibitors", PPIs.

Pepcid is NOT in the same class as Nexium and the other PPIs. It is not a PPI but an "H2-blocker". This is a different manner of protecting from acid than PPIs.

Closed Thread