It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
(male)

jimmymc HB User
Can't tell if I have reflux or something else.

My doctor is convinced that I have acid reflux. He put me on Protonix (I think Protonix is a ppi) last September and it did not help. Then, we discovered I had a gall bladder problem and it was removed 1-22-07. For about a month everything was fine. Then I started having a burning sensation in the upper part of my stomach area. It felt like indigestion, but was different from the previous problems that I had before the surgery. The doctor is still convinced that it is acid reflux.

I started taking the Protonix again and the feeling stopped. So that does sound like reflux (I guess). However, I have side effects that I am positive comes from the Protonix. I am also concerned about being on a ppi for a long period of time. I have read that they are not designed for that.

Last week I stopped the Protonix (after being on it for 10 weeks) and tried using magnesium, but have had very little success. I am once again having the burning sensation. However, it is not continuous. I will have it about 30 - 40 minutes after I eat, and it usually stops after about 10 - 15 minutes.
After reading different threads on this board, I am confused. How do I know if what I am experiencing is reflux or IBS, or bilary duct issues, or any other thing that I have read about.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer some advice?
Thanks.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Can't tell if I have reflux or something else.

At least you know the problem is related to acid since the PPIs do help your symptoms. The medical community does have the tests available to determine what the problem is for most of these problems. Have they done any testing to confirm if your pain is actually from acid reflux?

I agree with you on the long term use of the meds its best to limit their use if possible. But if you can't stop the acid reflux by other means then they are a neccessary evil to protect the tissue from the harmful effects of constant exposure to stomach acids.

The symptoms you describe could possibly be an ulcer. Has your doctor checked for Helicobacter pylori?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

I would suggest you visit your local health food store and order a Probiotic. They're in the refrigerator section. I take one with 15 Stains/35 Billion Microorganisms per two capsules which is the highest available. Take one close to this. Also, visit your dairy section of your supermarket and look for KEFIR (a cousin of the yogurt) which is a Probiotic. If you do have Acid Reflux both recommendations should resolve the matter. A neighbor recommended both when I developed Acid Reflux last year. I never went to a Doctor since I didn't want medication. I continue to take both. Give both products a few weeks. Good Luck.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
(male)

jimmymc HB User

Red,
Yes, I asked him to check for that. The test came back negative. I had a barium swallow done (in October) and it showed "mild to moderate" reflux.

I guess the reason that I keep resisting this is that it just came up suddenly. One day I did not have any problem and the next day I did. I know the initial diagnosis was not correct because those issues went away with the gall bladder, and this has only started since the surgery.

So, what I have is a barium swallow that showed mild to moderate reflux and symptoms that were related to a gall bladder issue, and now, (seven months after the swallow) true indigestion that appears a month after my gall bladder surgery. It just does not seem to fit.

Thanks for your response.

Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that as soon as I can. Will let you know if it helps.

Last edited by jimmymc; 05-22-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

I certainly hope you find some relief. The probiotic that I'm taking is NSI Probiotic 15-35 with NutraFlora FOS. It worked for me and I hope it works just as well for you. If it does work report back and share with others who have this condition and are seeking help.

Closed Thread