It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
(male)

kevmos27 HB User
endoscopy

im due to have one soon v scared anyone tell me whats it like etc??

Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: endoscopy

I had one last year. I was totally scared also. The doctor explained the procedure then the nurse ran an IV line in my hand for medications.Then I was brought on a guerney to the procedure room, they sprayed my throat with some awful tasting stuff that made it numb. Then they gave me the medications that were supposed to be like twilight sleep. I just remember them starting to put the tube in my throat then when they were taking it out. Hopefully you won't remember as long as your given anesthesia and it works on you.Then I was so lucky to also have a colonoscopy next. After those I was in the recovery room resting, the doctor came by with the results (nothing found), and I went home a short time later. I never had a sore throat after either. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Hi kev,

I can tell you people have different hospitals that handle it differently. It seems until recently people were required to stay awake for the thing, with only numbing sprays. By the talk on here, this still exists, but it is not as prevalent as it was maybe 5 years ago.

Now, you'll hear much more about both "twilight sleep" and "knock-out". I had the knock-out, which I would always prefer for any such procedure, thank you very much!

I was drowsy until they put the tube support in my mouth - in fact, I "dropped" it and they had to place it back in and told me to clamp on it. Then I was out, period. I never had a tube even in my mouth being conscious.

In short, it was great!

(I never had any sore throat, either.)

I hope yours is the latter. I was very worried about it too, but I was lucky. You could ask ahead of time what they do.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
(female)

Laura51 HB User

I had one 1 1/2 years ago and then one last month. I didn't have any problems with it. The Dr. gave me an IV and then gave me Versed (Versaid) and it knocked me totally out. I never knew when the tube went down or came out. It is scarey the first time. Good luck with it. My colonoscopy wasn't bad at all. The worst part of that was the preparation the day before. I got very nauseated and vomited after I drank the liquid prep. Hope all goes well for you. My results were great.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
(male)

Aarondawg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmos27 View Post
im due to have one soon v scared anyone tell me whats it like etc??
I had one on Monday and I was terrified the night before. I turns out that I was all worked up about nothing.

Mine was not until 1pm so I had a liquid breakfast around 6:30am.

The nurse called me in and I changed into a gown and was able to keep on my pants. You may want to wear socks since shoes are removed. I was terrified with the thought of an IV but it was a piece of cake and hurt less that a normal shot. The IV was taped several times and I could move my arm around. I was given a magazine while I lied in bed awaiting to be wheeled into the procedure room. My heart was pounding.... They wheeled me into the room and I was able told ly on my side. Medicine was put into the IV and I was told that if the room started to spin, to close my eyes. I looked at the ceiling and the next thing I new, I was in the recovery room. I was sleepy but didn't feel bad. I slept the remainder of the evening.

I am awaiting the results from my biopsy. Not sure if I have an ulcer or not.

Regards,
Aarondawg

Last edited by Aarondawg; 05-23-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Closed Thread