It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

LynneJW HB User
switched meds, now new problem...

Hi,
I have been taking zantac 150mg before bed for the past 4 years or so. It worked great up until recently, and I was needing to supplement with gaviscon a couple of times a night. My doctor switched me to Pariet, which is a PPI type drug, and I had instant relief from my reflux. I took Pariet for about 7 weeks. During the time, I began having some difficulty digesting food, I'm guessing because of the decrease in acid. Anyway, I was getting bloated and sometimes food would just seem to stay in my stomach forever. I decided to go back to zantac, which I did a little over a week ago. My reflux has so far not returned! BUT, now, as soon as I eat anything, I get an intense burning sensation in my abdomen, just above the belly button, and spreading out towards the sides. It feels as though my intestines are literally on fire. I feel great as long as I haven't eaten, so have been avoiding food as much as possible (I've lost 7 pounds ). There is no pain, but this burning sensation is extremely unpleasant. Does anyone think that going back to a less potent acid reducer has caused this? I've never had this problem before. I feel as though the cells in my stomach are having a party "woohoo, no more inhibition, lets make tons of acid now!"
Advice anyone?
TIA!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: switched meds, now new problem...

The PPI medication cuts down the acid. so you have less to begin with while on the medication. I was told that the acid is cut by 1/3. You should have enough to digest your food.I think the Zantac can only work on the acid already in your stomach when you eat. Does that make sense. So in a sense Zantac can not prevent heart burn, etc., but can only deal with the after effects of the problem. For mild and infrequent acid indigestion or minor heart burn the Zantac type medication might work ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread