It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
(male)

panthers78 HB User
Anyone else have trouble swallowing? Trying to find out what is wrong with me

Here is my situation 28, almost 29 year old male
All of a sudden back in April I suddenly had trouble swallowing solids
It feels as it particles get stuck in my throat. I went to the ER. They did a neck x ray. No tumors/no masses. I then went to an ENT. They did an endoscopy..they didn't see any tumors, etc in my throat/larynx. They thought maybe my larynx was inflamed, but I think it may have been due to all of the coughing I had been doing (I coughed when I felt something sticking..never coughed anything back up). I was on prilosec for a few weeks..no abatement in my symptoms. I went for a barium swallow..nothing wrong with my esophagus (no strictures or tumors)

I then went to another doctor for a second opinion. She said lots of ENTdoctors say people have acid reflux because they don't know the answer and the cost of medicine is low. ..She sent me for a CT scan to be sure nothing going on and is doing a modified barium swallow and possible an endoscopy..I had the CT scan yeterday..waiting for a call back with results..

I am still not sure if I have acid relfux for the following reasons.
A. Never had ANY heartburn/reflux symptoms. In all honesty, I do not recall ever getting heartburn
B. I was on a GERD diet before without even trying. I didn't eat anything fried..no fast foods... Ate very low fat (under 15-20 grams per day) Ate vegetables and fruit. Worked out 5 days a week. Had a healthy diet.
C. No one I know who has acid reflux indicated they had trouble swallowing...

Anyone else have trouble swallowung

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
(female)

Shirley M HB User
Re: Anyone else have trouble swallowing? Trying to find out what is wrong with me

You may have "Laryngophageal Reflux". Some call it Silent Gerd b/c you have no Heartburn and you have a lump in the throat. You also have a lot of congestion,at least I do. Do a on line search and type in LPR and you'll get lots of info on it.
Hugs Shirley

Last edited by Shirley M; 05-26-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

stormy day HB User
Re: Anyone else have trouble swallowing? Trying to find out what is wrong with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthers78 View Post
Here is my situation 28, almost 29 year old male
All of a sudden back in April I suddenly had trouble swallowing solids
It feels as it particles get stuck in my throat. I went to the ER. They did a neck x ray. No tumors/no masses. I then went to an ENT. They did an endoscopy..they didn't see any tumors, etc in my throat/larynx. They thought maybe my larynx was inflamed, but I think it may have been due to all of the coughing I had been doing (I coughed when I felt something sticking..never coughed anything back up). I was on prilosec for a few weeks..no abatement in my symptoms. I went for a barium swallow..nothing wrong with my esophagus (no strictures or tumors)

I then went to another doctor for a second opinion. She said lots of ENTdoctors say people have acid reflux because they don't know the answer and the cost of medicine is low. ..She sent me for a CT scan to be sure nothing going on and is doing a modified barium swallow and possible an endoscopy..I had the CT scan yeterday..waiting for a call back with results..

I am still not sure if I have acid relfux for the following reasons.
A. Never had ANY heartburn/reflux symptoms. In all honesty, I do not recall ever getting heartburn
B. I was on a GERD diet before without even trying. I didn't eat anything fried..no fast foods... Ate very low fat (under 15-20 grams per day) Ate vegetables and fruit. Worked out 5 days a week. Had a healthy diet.
C. No one I know who has acid reflux indicated they had trouble swallowing...

Anyone else have trouble swallowung
Hello,
You might want to ask the Dr. to check the muscles by your esophegus. Ther is a specific test for it. They have t be looking for it. Some people are born with 2 muscles. I just found out this condition exists. They just tested my mother in law for it. She was having similar symptoms. Her daughter had to request the test. I can't remember what it's called..something like calampsia.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi,
I have trouble swallowing and I have gerd and a hernia, I also get where food or pills just dont seem to go down right, like they get caught in my throat, it is a real pain but ask if there is a chance you have a hernia, I also lose my voice somethimes, I take nexeum and it seems to help.
good luck
cookie

Old 05-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
(male)

panthers78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley M View Post
You may have "Laryngophageal Reflux". Some call it Silent Gerd b/c you have no Heartburn and you have a lump in the throat. You also have a lot of congestion,at least I do. Do a on line search and type in LPR and you'll get lots of info on it.
Hugs Shirley
Thanks for the info. I didn't know there was another type. I looked up the symptoms and have none of those either..No sore throat..no voice changes..no burning sensation in throat...no hoarseness..the only symptom I have out of all of them is the difficulty swallowing I hope I get some answers next week

Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
(female)

mskubic HB User

My only symptom is swallowing and as of right now it is only in the morning. After that it seems to calm down

Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
(male)

rick8720 HB User

Difficulty Swallowing during eating

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello..sometimes I have trouble swallowing my food, and it gets stuck in my throat, saliva starts to build, and I have to spit constantly until the "feeling" of my clogged throat goes away. Somtimes I try sticking my finger down my throat, sometimes it takes a few minutes for the "stuck" food feeling to go away, sometimes hours. WHAT IS THIS?

It doesnt matter what type of food(although mostly lettuce from salads, brocolli, rice), but it has happened with all types. I try to chew my food all small, and take my time eating. Someone once told me I may have a "flap' htat is catching my food and causing it to clog my throat, not permitting any more food, or drink from entering.

Very emabrassing, as I have had to run to the bathroom or outside cause i couldnt swallow my drink, and spit it up.

Please help!

It has been goign on for years, but has worsened over the past year or so.

UPDATE: Went to a speech Therapist by advise from my Primary, and did a Videoesophogram, no problems, she told me to see a GI(gastrointologist) to do more tests, but said I probably had Reflux. Went home and had chicken Parmagian for dinner, and again, got the food stuck feeling, couldnt swallow even my saliva which I spit up a few times, and after about 15 minutes, it went down, and I was able to eat again.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
(female)

YankeeRoseO1 HB User

hi rick,
I also have probs swallowing. A few months ago it was so bad, that I couldnt even swallow my saliva. It is better now, but I do still sometimes have probs swallowing my food. I have LPR, gerd and hiatal hernia. You dont have to feel the acid or the burn to have lpr. I am assuming that your chicken parmagiana didnt help matters! Tomatoes and tomato products are the worse for me..and one of the things I miss most. I was on nexium for a month, and now protonix 2x a day for about a week now. I am jsut starting to feel a bit better. Are you on any prescription medication for this?
Also, another thing that could be causing your swsallowing problems is stress and anxiety. They seem to go hand and hand with gerds and lpr.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
(male)

rich58 HB User

About ten years ago I was having problems with food getting stuck. This happened especially when I would eat somthing with bread. Durring a scope it was dertemined that I had a stricture. My gastro streached it out with an inflatable device attached to the scope and this resolved my swallowing problem

Old 09-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
(male)

rick8720 HB User

Thanks for your info Rich and Yankee Rose, the speech therapist told me I would probably just need to have my throat dilated(stretched out) with that baloon type device, but also told me to take priolosec for 14 days as well.

She also noticed that after I eat anything, I cough a bit or clear my throat all the time, and warned me that in doing so, I am ruining my vocal chords.(anyone have any input on that?)

I'll do the Prilosec, then see the GI in a few weeks. Any other words of wisdome would be great.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I am so worried my vocal cords are already ruined and I "still" drink things I shouldn't. I've had this problem so long. I have a chronic cought, PND, and must clear my throat after water. I've been drinking alo vera juice to maybe help coat my vocal cords (supposed to be good for digestive system anyway)

Charla

Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 AM   #12
(female)

YankeeRoseO1 HB User

charla,
I have not tried the ala vera juice yet. How long have you been using it, and do you notice any improvement?
Rose

Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick8720 View Post
\
I'll do the Prilosec, then see the GI in a few weeks. Any other words of wisdome would be great.
I had a swallowing problem and could not even swallow water, even my own saliva....ends up that I have no motility in my esophagus, they did dilate it which helped a bit, I can eat better now but still have to be careful what I eat, no solids, and sometimes bread will give me a problem, occassionally I will end up in the ER with something stuck in my esophagus and they have to dig it out. Ask specifically for them to check for motility.

Sunny

Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Yankee Rose - I tried it last year during an awful, awful spell and thought it helped. I started drinking it again about a month ago and though it has in no way cured me, my voice does seem to be better and I have read where it's good for your vocal cords. Sort of coats them to keep moist. I don't remember if you have a lot of trouble with your voice or not but it's supposed to be good for a lot of things and I'm willing to try just about anything!
Some say it taste bad but I buy the gallon jugs from Wal-Mart and it doesn't bother me. The LPR has caused me to lose my sense of smell and my sense of taste may not be all that great anymore. You might give it a try!

Charla

Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #15
(female)

YankeeRoseO1 HB User

Hi char,
My voice gets hourse, and I have burning sensations too. I also have problems swallowing..Like u, I am ready to try anything to get more relief than I have now.
How often do you take it, and how much do you drink at one time?
You said that you got it at Walmart? Is it a superwalmart or a regular walmart store?
Thanx
Rose

Closed Thread